Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Slide or Chromatic ?
Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: November 04, 2008 04:43PM

I would like to expand my playing, and am considering a chromatic. Can somebody tell me the difference between a slide harp and a chromatic ?
Also, I've been reading the thread on the C tenor. What would I want to start with, a C or a low C ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slide or Chromatic ?
Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 04, 2008 11:05PM

[www.angelfire.com]

My gut feeling tells me to start with the C since it is the standard, but don't go by my word. I don't have much experience with chromatics, except that I bought a Suzuki Chromatix, and it leaks horribly. If I had money to splurge, I'd try a Hohner CX12.

Posted by: WaltP (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2008 10:17PM

Finally, someone asked about a slide harp, thanks Gatman!

A-slide harp is a diatonic in which every note can be sharped. I love them myself. Hohner makes 2, the "Slide Harp" has wind savers the other doesn't. I don't offhand remember its name, I think Koch but it wouldn't be hard to find. Hering makes a slide harp too, which I love to play but Herings are hard to get repaired and find.

Anything you can play on the slide harp can be played on a chromatic. It's easy to transpose diatonic tabs. For the most part you move one number higher on the chromatic, except for the bottom and top holes. But if an idiot like me can do it, anyone can.

I wouldn't suggest a tenor chro. as a beginning instrument. It takes a lot of wind to play. The argument for it is that many songs are written in its range. I personally have no problem playing an octave higher. But the purists would probably disagree.

The CX-12 is a monster. First of all its huge, imagine playing an ear of corn, and perfectly smooth. And its loud, really loud. And the low end is the best I've found so far. And it's plastic.

I played Hohner's Hard Bopper for some years as I like to honk the harp, so to speak, and it could take the abuse. The reeds are larger than most other chroms. I've recently taken up the Meisterklasse and it's quite a revelation, but not a beginners harp

Hering chroms are good Hohner's 270 is the industry standard. I would avoid any Chinese chroms as they are undependable.

I hope this is helpful to you. Feel free to ask me any questions you have.

WaltP

Date: November 06, 2008 12:12AM

"The CX-12 is a monster. First of all its huge, imagine playing an ear of corn, and perfectly smooth...."
Is that good, bad or indifferent?

"...And its loud, really loud. And the low end is the best I've found so far...."
That's good.

"... And it's plastic."
Is that good, bad or indifferent?

Overall, would you recommend the CX-12 to a newbie chrom player?

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2008 03:40AM

If you play without an amplifier and want to have a big loud sound - get a CX-12.

A 12 hole C Chromatic has middle C as it's lowest note. If the music you play requires any lower notes, a C Tenor (low C) is what you need.

I rarely play in the high octave on my C. I frequently need notes lower than middle C. When I do, I tab for C Tenor.

To play a C song on a C Tenor, Just add 4!

Post Edited (2008-11-09 14:00:54)

Date: November 06, 2008 11:39AM

Does the size matter? That's a personal decision I've read opinions either way, the same with the plastic. My experience is that when i play loud it rattles a bit. But you may not play that way. The tone is rich. Bottom line I wouldn't recommend it as a first chrom for a newbie. It is rather expensive. The Hohner 270 is well made and played by many. I wouldn't recommend a tenor for a newbie either, but that's just my personal opinion. You might ask some of the chrom players about the Chrometta. It's considered a beginners chromatic and is priced accordingly. I have one that is probably older than most of the people on this site. It tastes funny but sounds great. The holes are huge and the slide travels about a half a mile. Many people love it because of its volume and tone. Coast to Coast Harmonicas has reviews of most harps available.
Walt

Date: November 07, 2008 04:03PM

I,d like to hear more about the chrometta. I saw a guy on youtube playing a chrometta 8, and it sounded awesome. I was looking through the songs here tabbed for chrom, and saw that they pretty much stay below the eighth hole. I was thinking it might be a good start for me, since it is about as inexpensive as they come. And I guess I could live with it tasting funny as long as it sounds good. If it were the other way around, I wouldn't even consider it.
I also am thinking about the chrometta 8 because it is smaller the the larger chroms, and may be easier for me to adapt to. Another thing I like about it is the rounded corners like on my golden melody.

Post Edited (2008-11-07 15:12:04)

Date: November 07, 2008 09:48PM

Hey Gatman,

I spend so much time with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek that I forget others don't get my sense of humor. The reason it "tastes funny" is because it's old.
About the Chrometta:
First, like I said the tone is great. I used to spend time on Slidemeister, a newsgroup for chromatic players, and the Chrometta has a loyal following.
Second, the holes are huge. I'm a tongue blocker and it didn't bother me. But it may be disconcerting for diatonic players. I switch my tongue to one side of my mouth or the other, depending on the notes. I can't do that very well with the diatonic, but then I don't practice it. I would put the tone of the Chrometta close to that of the CX-12, but others may disagree.

I would consider the Chrometta 8 a waste of money. It covers two octaves starting at middle C. You'll lose access to a lot of songs. The Chrometta 10 starts at G below middle C and goes up two octaves like the 8. The low notes require a lot of air, as all the Chromettas leak. The Chrometta 12 is the standard 3 octave instrument. The 14 is like the 10, but with one more octave up. There's a guy on u tube who uses it, I don't remember his name, he always has something on his head, sometimes underwear, go figure. I think there is even a 16, a four octave instrument.

In my experience the size of the harp only matters when you are playing a 16 holer. I used a 12 for years and had no problems. I"m 5'9" and have average sized hands. Now I have a 14 holer and still no problems. Any way you look at it you'll have to adapt to a different manner of playing, but the avenues it opens up... I hope this is helpful to you, just remember this is only my opinion.
Best of luck, and of course, feel free to ask anything,
Walt

Date: November 08, 2008 12:10AM

Hi Walt, it sounds like we have alot in common. Your comment on the taste of that harmonica had the ring of a wise crack, so I just couldn't resist replying in kind.

Seriously though, thank you much for the information. It's a little bit of a letdown hearing that the chromettas leak so badly (also that the 8 hole would be a waste of money), the price was very attractive, but if I'm going to get a 12 hole, I don't want one that leaks.

What chrom, in your opinion, would be best for a chromatic beginner like myself, keeping in mind that I don't want to have to upgrade in a year because I like it? No hurry for an answer, if I'm going to be spending that much, I'll probably have to wait a while. My lovely wife let me buy a new bass and amplifier recently, so I don't think it would be a good idea to ask for another instrument for a good month or two more.

Anybody else who plays chromatic harps (Chibluesteve, I'm looking your way!), Please chime in. I can use all the information I can get on the subject before making a decision.

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2008 04:00AM

Sorry, I have two CX-12 harps. I have not tried any others.

When I tab, I tab for C Tenor when I need a note below middle C.

Given the cost, I would think about the music you want to play before choosing.

I wouldn't get anything but a C or a C Tenor (Low C).

Posted by: ricanefan (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 08, 2008 08:06AM

Hohner's Koch is reasonably priced. As for the sound, well, mine got packed away for a move and hasn't been seen (or heard from) for nearly 20 years now. Needless to say, I can't friggen remember. (If I could, I might even remember where those harps are!) I keep looking at a new one, but I can't let myself knowing I have one somewhere in this house...

It's a 10 hole, Richter tuned, pearwood combed harp that (if I am remembering this correctly) Hohner used to describe as playing and sounding like a Marine Band.

The thread on this site where it was reviewed doesn't appear to be accessible any longer...

Date: November 09, 2008 04:11AM

Mr. Gatman,
My hands down choice for a chromatic for the ages would be a Hohner 270
The following is a review by AJ Fedor, I believe he is the moderator of Slidemeister, a great newsgroup site for chrom players:

(This is the undisputed Grand Daddy of Chromatic harmonicas. The 270 sound is legendary. For the record, THIS is the one everyone copies. The reedplates from this model are the basic building block for virtually all the high-end custom-built Chromatics. Even the "Renaissance" from ILUS (weighing in at just under four thousand dollars) starts with the reedplates from this old timer.
Weak points: wood comb that can crack and leak, attached with nails that can loosen, a slide assembly that's not very air tight, and the edges on the square holed mouthpiece are famous for their ability to grade parmesan cheese to perfection. It may also have a less than desirable sharp edge on upper and/or lower reedplates that can irritate the webbing between the thumb and index finger.
Strong points? Just two: It’s available in all keys, and the sound! The key thing is cool, but the SOUND is even cooler. Through the years, literally thousands of pros (myself included) have either done the few simple tricks themselves, or had them “tweaked” by harmonica techs. Hey, when ya got it, ya got it! With all its faults, the 270 is still my baby, and continues to rule!)

The 270 is available for about $133 from Coast to Coast Music, and probably cheaper elsewhere. There is also a stepped up version I believe it's called the 270 Deluxe, for more bux, pardon the yux. It has round holes and the plates are screwed on. Maybe the reeds are bigger, I'm tempted myself. Like I said I played the Hard Bopper for some years, a harp Hohner made for Toots Thielemans. It has longer reeds and so more volume, but is pricey. I like to blow the snot out of my chroms, at least I used to, and it held up better.
As for leaking, all chroms leak to varying degrees. I have a Super 64X that leaks so much I ended up putting scotch tape on both sides of the mouthpiece. The leaking is due to the slide assembly. A lot of tweaking is about making it more airtight. If I like the tone I'll put up with a certain amount of leaking, when it sounds like wind whistling through the trees however! I find the 270 to be relatively airtight.

A second choice would be a Hering Special 48. It's easy to play, responsive across the board, but the tone is not as rich as the 270. It's about $20 less than the 270, the body is clear plastic. Herings are hard to find and the company is difficult to deal with. Hohner will probably always be there for you.
I hope this is helpful for you, do check out Slidemeister, a bunch of guys almost as nice as we are. And lots of pros, Blackie Shackner was there, as was Cham-ber Huang, even though I can't in all honesty recomend his chrom, the man is a legend, on a par with Larry Adler. After all he did create the CBH 2016.
Walt

Date: November 09, 2008 04:30AM

"...Weak points: wood comb that can crack and leak, attached with nails that can loosen, a slide assembly that's not very air tight, and the edges on the square holed mouthpiece are famous for their ability to grade parmesan cheese to perfection. It may also have a less than desirable sharp edge on upper and/or lower reedplates that can irritate the webbing between the thumb and index finger.
Strong points? Just two: It’s available in all keys, and the sound!..."

Sounds like Hohner CX-12 is the winner, here. It's said to have good sound, and I definitely would not need a chromatic for each key. After all, what's the slide for?

Date: December 25, 2008 04:07PM

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this.
Okay Gene, what you saw as major detriments leaking, cracking, loosening, irrating the fingers, I've found to be minor. I've seen one comb crack in my whole life, I jammed some putty in it and problem over. The nails are a non-issue as we don't normally take the plates off, if you do, push the nails back in, it works. The square holes on the mouthpiece have been improved and there is a super 270 with round holes, again, a non-issue. Irritating the web of the hand? I used to hold the harp so tight I'd collapse the side plates. But since the harp usually sits firmly in the palms of your hands, non-issue.
Available in all keys, a strong point for professional players who want to chord and vamp in the key of the song. For the rest of us, not so important maybe.
However the 270 is the benchmark, a harp you can use the rest of your life. And the Renny, arguably one of the best custom harps made by man uses the 270 reeds and plates.
Walt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.