Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Skylark Tremolo Harp
Posted by: jauz2 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2006 07:41PM

so i had to write a paper on this harp anyway, i thought i'd just copy and paste....(written for a 10th grade public speaking class. no one in my area knows anything about harps but me..so i guess im lame to them?...w/e)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Public Speaking
Pd. 3

Critique - Skylark Tremolo Harmonica

Most people generally do not have a mind about harmonicas, but those – like myself – who do are always interested in seeing what others think about a specific harp before purchasing it. One who would wish to buy the Skylark Tremolo Harmonica would gladly wish to know its true nature prior to making a final decision. An accurate critique of the Tremolo harp can be successfully assessed by analyzing it in terms of sound quality, convenience, and value.
To begin with, all tremolo harmonicas have a double set of reeds for each note, so as to create a wavering, chorus-like sound not attainable on a normal diatonic harmonica. Although Skylark is not a well-known brand name, the company does not fail to meet the definition. Lower notes on the harp are key for making the solid chordal bass lines that they are known for. However, the Skylark company comes to a loss as you progress up the scale. This specific tremolo is not always as reliable as others when it comes to the highest notes it can play. Although it may only appear with time, the reeds have a tendency to stick, thus not releasing notes with a compromising amount of air. While noting that tremolo harmonicas do require more than the average amount of breath to play, the Skylark Tremolo can often make this difficult on high notes. Also, even though this harp is no exception to the fact that it is hard to learn how to bend on a harmonica, the Skylark produces a more loose bend than most diatonics, which makes it excellent for lead players who want to go all-out.
The convenience of the Skylark Tremolo harp is marked by three troublesome qualities. One which is unavoidable for anyone who wishes to play a tremolo is the compromising size of this particular kind of harmonica. Other than professional orchestral harmonicas, tremolos are the biggest harps available for popular music. For example, where the most common type of harmonica, the diatonic model, has one row of ten holes, the Skylark Tremolo harp has two rows of twenty-four holes. This puts a problem in the way of all ‘pocket-harp’ players. The second problem relates back to the inconsistency of the release of high notes, but the problem could probably be remedied by a set of replacement reeds. However, those, like myself, who double on harmonica and other instruments like piano and guitar will be discouraged to discover that because of the tremolos inconvenient size, solo players will not get the opportunity to fit one into a harp holder. So this really is a lead player’s harmonica: you need a band or dubbed recording for it.
As for value, you really can’t beat the low ten-dollar deal for the Skylark Tremolo. The only other tremolo with a better value is the Hohner Weekender for $8.50, but these Hohners are much harder to find in this area. In my opinion, you get what you pay for because the sound quality matches the price.
Overall, I would recommend the Skylark Tremolo Harmonica for people who wish to be independent musicians. It is useful for playing live and for recording at a certain level of qualities, but for a professional musician or one who wishes to get a record deal, a Hohner tremolo would be a better choice. Additionally, if you are deciding between harmonica types, diatonic would be a better choice because they are easier to learn how to play. For the most part though, the Skylark Tremolo Harmonica is perfect for advanced lead playing in independent groups.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Skylark Tremolo Harp
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 05, 2006 03:35AM

What did you get on the paper?

Post Edited (10-05-06 16:04)

Posted by: jauz2 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2006 11:24PM

thx for waiting...just got it back, 88%....B+=not bad...it was a speech/writing assignment, and i wasn't really too prepared for the speech...but at least bringing the harp and a comparison pocket pal bought me 2 extra credit.....all the kids were wild-eyed when i played this crazy blues riff on each to compare bending quality, lol..

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 01:23AM

nice

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.