Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
The Hohner Special 20
Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 30, 2005 02:43PM

The Hohner Special 20 is, in my humble opinion, the workhorse of the Hohner brand. It comes in the most variety of tunings and keys, has a tone almost as rich as any wooden combed harmonica and volume outdone only by the Golden Melody. The completely recessed reed plates (not even showing on the hole side) offer a smooth feel that is lacking on most of their other performance quality harmonicas. With the possible exception of the XB-40 (which I haven't had the priviledge of playing yet), it is the most responsive harmonica Hohner makes.

Overall: 4/5

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Hohner Special 20
Posted by: lasseandersen (---.k401.webspeed.dk)
Date: August 16, 2005 07:31PM

Hi!! You are just 100% right!!! The Special 20 are also my favorite!!!!

Play on my friend!!

Lasse

Posted by: londoncoline (---.ipslin.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2006 06:14AM

I also own the Special 20 in D, C, and G. I absolutely love playing it. I haven't had much experience playing on other harps, but from what I've played from my friends collection, my Special 20's are just as nice, and even a little easier on the lips than other models.

Posted by: danny191 (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 18, 2006 03:28AM

i play a special 20 in the key of c, and nothing else , i love the rich sound the special 20 gives off, its the best harp i've ever played on.

i give a 10

Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 02:04AM

That does it! I'm getting a special 20! Now, just to figure out which key......................Hmmmmmm.

Posted by: sully (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 06, 2007 09:56AM

Delta Frost by bushman, is more responsive , louder, better upper register play, replacement reed plates.

So is the Hering 1923, Suzuki firebreath

I played SP20 for over 25 years and still do they have been moved behind the others. They take too much force to get good tone which causes less use of dynammics

Posted by: Jigoe (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2007 01:48AM

So far I like the SP20s as the MB give me a sore tongue. I also like the GM too as they have a great tone and are easy to play. Of course I am going to try some others just to see what they are all about, the Bushman Delta Frost is in my cross hairs at this time. Heard that they have a great play, tight, and nice tone. Just the cost of a good dinner now a days or a cheap date. Looks like the little woman will sit home and my next date will be with the BDF! lol

doc

Posted by: The_PianoMan (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 28, 2007 01:26PM

I just got two special 20s a key of c and d they sound great, it works with blues bends and other harmonica solos.

Posted by: Ove (---.sanantonio.gov)
Date: March 25, 2008 07:02PM

Bought a S20 2/months ago after losing my ProharpMS on a train(had it right at a year). I was amazed at how easy and resposive it was right out of the box! A year of learning to play with the PH might of helped as it is'nt the easiest and does'nt bend well, though it has a good sound.

I went on the advice of someone from this site and I am very pleased with the S20(got it for 20+change). He also recommende the Suzuki HarpMaster for a comparative sound for under 20. Would like to try a DF, but with the price and hoping to hold on to this one, it may be a good while.

I noticed the comb in the S20 is divided inside and is probrably a main factor to the ease of bending and control. Is this the only harp that has that??? Anyway, can't go wrong with a S20! ~wÃif

Posted by: sully (199.43.32.---)
Date: March 25, 2008 07:22PM

The SP20 are still hand made, they are far better then any MS series harp. Watch the 5 draw that one always goes out on my SP20's if too much force is used.

I have been playing Seydels sessions, much like a SP20 better response and upper register play.

Post Edited (2008-03-25 16:42:35)

Posted by: elglide (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2008 07:19PM

I have bought them all and I always go back to the sp20.

Posted by: TIN_MAN (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 09, 2008 12:15AM

my harp inspiration played em
TERYY MCMILLAN

Huey Lewis swears by em

Mickey Raphael

if its good enough for them !!!

ive tried several over the years from bluesband and blues harp to lee oskar, suzuki deltafrost

bushman make great harps dont get me wrong and inexpensive reed plates for the bottom

i personally use and do gigs with a spec 20
i have em from aflat through to g !!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.