General :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have something besides harmonicas on your mind? Talk about it here. 
Come on y'all, April 15th?????
Posted by: Pulp (141.129.1.---)
Date: May 15, 2014 04:15AM

Did tax day kill everyone?? Surely something is going on worth sharing.

I'll start. Proud of my oldest granddaughter. She just graduated 8th grade, Valedictorian and Outstanding Citizenship Award. She is also on the Archery team for her little school. They just went to the National Championship and placed in the top 15% in the 3D division, top 60% in fixed target. Today her mother informed my her team has qualified to go to the World Championship tournament in July. It'll be in Madison, Wisconsin.

We had a good Mother's Day week-end. Our daughter, her husband and the other two grandkids came down from OKC. I took the grandkids out to the land to let them shoot their .22 rifles. They always seem to enjoy that. I had some exploding targets that really impressed them. The rest of the month will be busy, what with dance recitals and doctor visits.

Anyway, y'all share something. If it's good we'll applaud, if it's sad we'll give you a shoulder!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Come on y'all, April 15th?????
Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2014 03:54PM

That is pretty cool smiling smiley

I am just swamped with life in general recently.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (107.203.62.---)
Date: May 17, 2014 05:17AM

My husband and I, along with our daughter and grandchildren, went to the zoo the other day. After we'd been walking around for a while, and about the time we start approaching the snack bar and grill areas, our granddaughter proclaims she's hungry. Trying to make her point, as little ones often do, she started to walk hunched over in an exagerrated manner saying "I'm huuuuuuungryyyyyy!!!" Her mom asks "Hungry? But you just ate just a little while ago." When she asks her what she wants, our granddaughter says "Chips!" "Chips?!" we ask. "Yes", she says, beginning to drag her feet, "I'm sooo huuuunngryyyyyyyyyyy....".

In an attempt to get her to smile, in spite of herself, I pulled out my harp and played a simple Blues Riff then sang: "Miss Mona is hungry!" played the Blues Riff again, then sang "She's really, really hungry!", then played the blues riff again. I saw a smile start to cross her face, and my grandson was instantly transfixed (they both got harps for Christmas). Without missing a beat, my granddaughter says "And I'm thirsty, too!", so my next line was (naturally) "And she's thirsty, too!" then played the riff again.

"I want to eat here!" she states.

"We're gonna eat here!" I sing, playing a run up riff. As we climbed the stairs to the front door, I repeated the line with "We're gonna eat here" then played a decending riff back to the home note of the first riff and repeated the starting riff.

She made it to the top of the stairs first, standing straight and smiling, with a little spring in her step, eager to get her chips. My grandson turns to his mother and says "Mom, can we download that?"

"Download what?" she asked.

"That. What grandma just played."

We all chuckled and said "Can't download that. That was LIVE, man!" cool smiley

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2014 11:59AM by EarthDogHarpin.

Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: May 19, 2014 08:28AM

I had what was a funny moment for me recently. It starts out years ago when I was assigned to work with a small police department as part of a training session, while working the midnight shift we rolled up on a girl in her late teens leaning up against a tree urinating, we arrested her for urinating in public, public drunkenness, under age drinking and resisting arrest, at her hearing she vowed to piss on either one of us if she ever seen us again off duty. Now move to the present, about a month ago I had just flown into a major city and was was to meet up with someone at a restaurant, I was seated next to a table of 6 well dressed business people, as they talked one voice caught my attention and I turned around and there was that girl from years ago, she looked at me and looked down very quickly, not a word was spoken between us, but I just sat there and laughed to myself as all I could picture was this now lady in her fancy dress leaning up against a tree urinating, and I wanted so bad to walk over and ask her in front of all of them if she was going to piss on me since I was not working right now, but I refrained from that and only sat and laughed to myself.

Date: May 19, 2014 01:28PM

Good stories smiling smiley My stories are more sad and depressing recently, so I don't want to bring everyone down

Posted by: Pulp (141.129.1.---)
Date: May 19, 2014 09:08PM

EDH, grandkids are wonderful little things, most of the time. My oldest was really hard to like up till she was about 6 or 7 years old, then thankfully she grew out of it. She is an only child so I reckon she just didn't know how to act. Once she got in school and being around other kids seemed to make the difference.

Yukon, great story. Karma is a bitch ain't she? Sometimes slow in coming, but it does eventually roll around. I might not have brought up the subject to her, but I would have had to approach and visit a minute, just to watch the sheer terror in her eyes.

Several years ago a bunch of people were selected from our work force to develop a new work program. They met off site for several months and no one in the mill really knew what was going on. I had heard there had been a fistfight between two of the members. A day or two later I saw another member at the grocery store. We talked a minute and then I said, "I heard a really vicous rumor, can you confirm or deny it?" She went pale. I literally watched the color drain from her face. I though to myself, "I don't know what she's been up to but she's definitely been up to something." Anyway, she said, "What was it?" I told her about the alledged fistfight, and watched her breathe a sigh of relief and the color return to her face. "No fight, but lots of cussing!" I later heard she had been involved with a married man, so I reckon she verified two rumors that day.

DJ, hang in there, we got your back.

Date: May 20, 2014 04:20PM

Nick,

Remember what Pulp stated at the end of his first post to the thread?

"Anyway, y'all share something. If it's good we'll applaud, if it's sad we'll give you a shoulder!"

Well if it will help you feel better by telling someone then go ahead and tell us and if you would rather not tell us that's fine too, either way you have our shoulder as Pulp mentioned.

Date: May 20, 2014 04:48PM

Thanks, my wife was in a bad car accident so I am dealing with the fallout from all of that. She is getting better but is still in lots of pain. Right now just trying to get the insurance stuff sorted out.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (107.203.62.---)
Date: May 20, 2014 08:22PM

So sorry to hear your wife was in an accident, Nick. May I ask what happened? (Don't be afraid to say MYOB, I'll understand.) Is she healing alright? Is your son okay?? How are you doing through all of this?

We're all here for you, Nick.

Date: May 21, 2014 07:08AM

Sorry to hear of the accident, although we may not be able to be there to help you we are here keeping you in our thoughts and giving you a listening ear anytime you need it.

Best wishes for all of you and hopes for a speedy recovery for your wife.

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: May 23, 2014 08:32AM

Date: May 23, 2014 02:13PM

She is going to be ok, but she basically has just been doing very little other than laying in bed and taking pain medication. So I am trying to take care of my 2 year-old and the house along with all my normal duties and responsibilities to the organizations I belong to.

What happened was by my house there is a road which is four lanes that in the morning it is pretty empty. She looked and didn't see anyone coming so she tried to cross it but was T-boned by someone going almost 60. The sun was in his eyes of the other driver so he didn't see her until they were about to collide. She got hit so hard her car swung around and hit him again in the back. She was taken by ambulance to the hospital.

The entire passenger side of the car was totalled (over $15,000 worth of damage), from the front to the back including the door which didn't make contact in the accident but buckled from the impact.

I take my son to my mom's house in the morning so it was just her in the car, luckily.

My insurance company, State Farm has been great with taking care of everything but unfortunately it still has been a huge pain. When I paid off the car the loan company had sent me a letter and a title which was stamped as paid, but in New York state that isn't the proper paperwork. So it was rejected by the insurance company and I had to contact the loan company to get the proper letter. I had paid of the car years ago so they didn't have my account in the system anymore, making it a real pain to get the letter.

So it has been a few weeks now and we are still trying to get the payment for the car so we can buy a new one. Since our rental was only good for a week after the car was marked as a total loss we are borrowing one until we have the settlement to use as a downpayment.

The week before that I was rear-ended at a red light and had to have my car in the shop, so we both were in rentals due to an accident. So it has been a fun few weeks.

Posted by: Pulp (69.8.54.---)
Date: May 24, 2014 02:10AM

Cars are replaceable, mothers and wives aren't. Thankful she is on the mend. Sounds like a really horrific accident.

Dealing with insurance companies can be worse than the actual wreck. The only reason some telephone agents are still alive is because I can't shoot them over the phone. I hate dealing with insurance companies.

Date: May 27, 2014 11:07AM

lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.