General :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have something besides harmonicas on your mind? Talk about it here. 
Any MDers out there
Posted by: WaltP (96.238.99.---)
Date: July 29, 2013 01:57PM

I've recently picked up my metal detector and have been having a great time in my back yard, and so I'm wondering if there are any other hunters out there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any MDers out there
Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2013 05:52PM

I have always been interested in it but I just never thought I would find much to make it fun.

Date: July 31, 2013 07:36PM

That is the main issue with this hobby. It does, however, pay off to do some research about the area in which one lives or wants to hunt. Anyway you look at it you dig a lot of holes and pull out a lot of garbage. But, sometimes, in between the garbagi are the treasures.

Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2013 07:00PM

I can believe that... my parents recently had a bulldozer level out their backyard and found a very old truck that was buried and we never knew was there.

Posted by: Pulp (141.129.1.---)
Date: August 02, 2013 04:37PM

My wife bought me one for Christmas, I'm not sure I'll ever be smart enough to use it. Definitely a learning curve on them. I've got a Teknetics, which experts say is one of the better ones of the low end detectors. I think it could be a really fun hobby.

I went out to the woods where I killed a deer last season and tried to find the bullet. I didn't find mine, but I found another strange bullet. It's .375 caliber, weighed around 140 grains, pure lead, and NO rifling marks on it. I'm still not sure what it is.

There's an old house place just across the fence from my son's land, I detected on our side of the fence and found a 191X wheat penny. Not a collector coin by any means, pretty corroded. In my backyard I've found a knife blade, a water meter key and some other junk stuff.

The landowner across the fence will let me detect around where the old house stood, just too hot to do it right now. He also owns land where a house was destroyed by a tornado, the woman lost a LOT of gold jewelery. That's where I really need to go.

Date: August 02, 2013 11:41PM

Ah, the treasures in one's own back yard and neighborhood. I think most coins found in the ground don't have much value as they are in poor condition, and regular collectors usually only want high quality merchandise.

Posted by: harmusman (80.44.161.---)
Date: September 22, 2013 05:18PM

I tried this detecting in the early days and found that we have so many laws against it that one just has nowhere to detect. You can't dig up any public space never know who owns any land to be able to ask permission but as soon as you get out that detector and start, someone pops up saying you can't do that there here, clear orf. The only two places I MD'd were where I lived found a victorian halfpenny so worn it must have been dropped in the fifties and the other place I owned I have been all over this 15 feet by 80 foot plot and found nothing but then the previous people who have lived here since 1895 were so poor they never owned anything to lose.

Posted by: WaltP (96.238.105.---)
Date: September 25, 2013 02:08PM

I'd give a lot to be able to hunt in the UK, I'm always reading about people finding 2000 year old coins. I guess I thought it was easier than you said. Most of the hunting is done on farm fields with permission between crops.

Posted by: harmusman (80.44.160.---)
Date: October 11, 2013 12:40PM

I have, two days now just returned from hospital, after having had 3 stents implanted in my arteries, and do you know I can find them in my chest with my hand held MD, fascinating

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.181.---)
Date: October 11, 2013 08:03PM

Goodness gracious! Glad you're home and recovering now. Follow your doc's orders and get well soon. (Then get back to practicing that harp, it's much more fun that working that Incentive Spirometer [if those still even exist]).

Second, it is fascinating that you can find the implants in your chest with a metal detector....

Under the heading of things that make you go "hmmmmm.....", you might have difficulties boarding an aircraft in the future if y'all's security is anything like our TSA... (not unlike everybody else with medical implants) eye rolling smiley

Get feeling better soon, Cliff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2013 08:04PM by EarthDogHarpin.

Posted by: harmusman (80.44.164.---)
Date: October 15, 2013 04:10PM

Debs, your so right about the Harmonica I have not been playing much lately but have tried and find that my mouth and lips are like a party jelly all wobbly and uncontrollable. My mouth muscle memory has flown when it comes to playing seems like I am back to practising again after all these years.

Amazing, I have lost my Diaphram puff also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 04:29PM by harmusman.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.181.---)
Date: October 15, 2013 04:53PM

It'll come back to you Cliff. You just need to get a little stronger yet. Give your recovery time.

You'll get there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.