General :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have something besides harmonicas on your mind? Talk about it here. 
Dennis the Menace
Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 03:24AM

Greetings from Mobile, Alabama! We're makin' tracks to the west to get out of the way of Hurricane Dennis. He's just a 2 now, but he's expected to grow back up to a mid-level category 3 before he makes landfall somewhere (most likely) between here and Pensacola, Florida.

Anyway, See you all later!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dennis the Menace
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 10, 2005 07:22AM

I am glad I am all the way in New York I don't know how you all deal with those Hurricanes.

Posted by: pharpy (---.br.no.cox.net)
Date: July 10, 2005 11:58AM

Aside from packing up and getting out of the way, we typically don't deal with them. Being from Oklahoma, originally, I like the ability to get out of the way. With tornado's you only have enough warning to duck & cover.

I can tell you though, that the general consensus is that if it's less than a category 3, you just hunker down and cope. I've been through a TS or 2 already, but have yet to go through (as in stick around for) any hurricane. I think we might have been caught in the very western edge of a few, and we drove back through the remnants of one that hit Louisiana when we were on vacation a year or so after we moved to Mobile, but so far the only 2 that have landed in or around Mobile when we haven't had plans of being elsewhere are Ivan last year and Dennis this year, both of which we decided to leave town for, Ivan being a 4 that downgraded to a 3 and actually came ashore on the other side of Mobile Bay, and now Dennis which is currently a mid to high-level category 4 Technically, Dennis hasn't landed yet, but he's going to, and aside from a miracle, he'll come right up Mobile Bay with sustained winds in excess of 140 mph.

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 10, 2005 06:20PM

140 mph sounds like good winds for kite flying... or parasailing.

Posted by: Barbarian (---.clss.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 02:31AM

i live in a weather vaccuum. nothing extreme ever happens. except now that i have said that i will die in a f5 tornado. oh well.
-kg

Posted by: Barbarian (---.clss.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 01:15AM

i spoke too soon about the weather vaccuum. denny has been hovering over indiana for about a year now

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.