HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Bob Dylan tabs
Posted by: Zimniakj (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: October 09, 2006 04:27PM

Hey, I've been looking through some dylan tabs, and they tend to be very good. Usualy the tabs cover the entire song in such a way that one can play harmonica in place of the vocals (through all verses and chorususes) but i notice that the actual bits Mr. Dylan plays on his harmonica are usualy left out. Sometimes they're in there anyway (In blowing in the wind, for example, the harmonica bit basicaly goes along with "the answer my friend, is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wing"winking smiley so its not a problem, but this is not always the case. I expect bob dylan never actualy bothered to write these down himself, and probably most people can play them well enough by ear, but I am entirely musicaly retarded, so if anyone knows where to find them i would appreciate it (hopefuly some biggies like 'it aint me babe', 'all along the watchtower' etc.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bob Dylan tabs
Posted by: [email protected] (---.com)
Date: October 09, 2006 05:57PM

The majority of the harp playing in songs is listed in the sheet music as Improv. There are a few of us who have posted harp solos to some songs but it's not as easy as it looks. Listening to the song over and over still won't get all the fine details on how to play the harp solos. There are so many ways to get a sound from a single note, that the only real way to copy the sound is listening and constant practice.

Tabs to the songs are normally the singing notes so you can play the song, not to play accompanyment. That just takes lots of practice.

Posted by: bl0wy0urspeackers (---.mjole.com)
Date: October 17, 2006 06:04PM

It is very hard to tab Dylan songs, I think he improvises a lot and he usually plays pretty fast. Neil Young for example is usually much easier to tab.

Edit: On a second thought, he don't play so fast that often but he often plays intervals and chords wich I thick is much more difficult to tab than single note songs.

Post Edited (10-17-06 14:08)

Posted by: [email protected] (---.com)
Date: October 18, 2006 01:59AM

He plays lots of chords. Using a harp stand around your neck makes it hard to play single notes. Not impossible but hard.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.