HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Site Improvements Part II
Posted by: pharpy (---.an4.dfw28.da.uu.net)
Date: June 04, 2006 12:00PM

Since the previous topic sort of rambled off topic, I figured I'd start up a new one. Also it was getting kind of long, & I don't like to scroll that much.

On that note, my suggestion is to find a way to paginate the forum. It wouldn't have to be fancy, just a preset number of posts per page. That way, (unless there were just some lengthy posts), you wouldn't have to scroll all day, & those of us suffering through with dial-up wouldn't have to wait as long for each page to load. (I know, I know...just get broadband.... Trust me, it's not that simple. It's hard to find the extra 20+ $$ per month or more to go with DSL or cable. My dial-up is about $15 less than the cheapest level of DSL, which in my area is barely better than dial-up, speed-wise.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Site Improvements Part II
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 05, 2006 01:25AM

I am actually working on upgrading the forum or switching. I am in the research phase right now.

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2006 02:40AM

How about reversing the sort so that the newest post is on the top?

Date: June 05, 2006 03:10AM

I think it would confuse people if we reversed the order since all other bulletin boards work in this order.

Date: June 05, 2006 04:06AM

Well I have finished the research and it is going to be a big pain in the but to upgrade the forum. It would be much easier just to start the forum over again on the new system. The other option is to pay $150 dollars to have someone upgrade it for me. If we start the forum over I would like to actually switch to a totally different forum which I think would be nicer.

Posted by: pharpy (---.an6.dfw28.da.uu.net)
Date: June 05, 2006 11:30AM

I think starting over in a new forum would be a good idea. I've seen plenty of forums that have the option to put the new posts on top. I know I prefer that format.

Date: June 05, 2006 08:32PM

The new posts are on the top already, except when viewing a thread. When viewing a thread the newest posts are always at the botton of the page.

Posted by: pharpy (---.an4.dfw28.da.uu.net)
Date: June 05, 2006 10:10PM

On the topic list, yeah, the one with the most recent post is on top, but when you look at each topic, though, the posts are listed from oldest on top to newest on bottom. We need an option to have it the other way around.

Date: June 06, 2006 01:45AM

A new forum would lose all the history.

There is some good stuff there that it would be a shame to lose.

Posted by: IndianaZephyr (12.153.205.---)
Date: June 06, 2006 02:38AM

I see what you are saying. That way you wouldn't have to scroll all the way to the bottom. But I would get to confused as to which new threads where new to me. Would there be some way to for it to say new next to it like the new topics?

Date: June 06, 2006 03:53AM

pcguyiv wrote:

> On the topic list, yeah, the one with the most recent post is
> on top, but when you look at each topic, though, the posts are
> listed from oldest on top to newest on bottom. We need an
> option to have it the other way around.

I have the topics in one set order, then when I go into the topics all of the threads are listed newest first. Then when I open a thread it has the newest posting at the bottom, do you not have it displaying that way?

Date: June 06, 2006 03:54AM

I would have to keep the old forum around as well, but just set it up so no one can post in it and call it the archive forum.

Date: June 08, 2006 03:18AM

The Reviews, The links, the advice would be a shame to lose.

The jokes and smart remarks, well, they were cute, but.......

Date: June 08, 2006 03:54PM

I would preferr to transfer this forum into a new medium, it should be possible but I just don't have the time to put into it.

Post Edited (06-08-06 12:54)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.