HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Playing Contest
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 04:30AM

I have been thinking about holding a playing contest on the site. People would be able to submit themselves playing and then the members of the site would be able to vote on who they liked the most. What does everyone else thinkg about it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Playing Contest
Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 04:35AM

Well......

I don't play good enough for a thing like that.

sad smiley

Posted by: djlactose (198.72.9.---)
Date: May 09, 2006 01:01PM

You never know till you hear the other contestants. I was thinking about giving out prizes to the winners too.

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 01:29PM

Hey, I'm all for it!

Posted by: [email protected] (---.com)
Date: May 10, 2006 01:41AM

I've heard people playing on newgrounds.com and it wouldn't take much to play better than them.

I've posted a couple of file postings here. I think I sound ok when I play at home but after listening to the posts, I think I sound terrible smiling smiley

Everyone will critic their own talents as poor. Were not going to have recordings like professional harp players but we all have to start somewhere.

I like the idea. Anyway to have it so you can't vote on yourself?

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 01:54AM

It might be an idea to limit entrys to songs that have been tabed or songs that the player submits tabs for.

Date: May 10, 2006 03:01AM

We could do an american idol style contest where postings are made and then people vote on the postings. So everyone would have to submit several different playings, and only one person would be elimated at a time or something.

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 01:26PM

Sounds like fun.

Date: May 10, 2006 04:27PM

Thats what I was think and I thought it could help bring more people to our site.

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas1.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 07:01PM

How would we enter? It sounds pretty cool.

Date: May 10, 2006 08:20PM

My plans for this would be to put together a group of regulars to work with me in figuring out the rules and details. After that I would setup a page on the site for the contest and I would like to advertise on the other harmonica websites to try and get more people to participate. I also would like to come up with some prizes, like free t-shirts and maybe $100 for the winner.

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas1.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 09:03PM

Steve, I would like to hear you and others play. I agree that we can be our own worst critic; we really don't know how anyone really sounds until we get the opportunity to listen...

Posted by: IndianaZephyr (65.183.103.---)
Date: May 11, 2006 02:12AM

I like the idea, I would have to get a mike or something to record myself. I know that I can't win, but I would love to participate!

Date: May 11, 2006 02:17AM

Alright so I guess the next step would be to start working out the details of the contest.

Posted by: IndianaZephyr (65.183.103.---)
Date: May 12, 2006 02:11AM

I like all the suggestions for it so far! We could just go from there!

Posted by: ra-t (---.subnet14.dundee.ac.uk)
Date: May 13, 2006 03:28PM

if its like american idol does that mean someone gets to be like simon cowell? winking smiley

sounds like a good plan overall, hopefully it'll give us a chance to hear unknown but otherwise really talented players.

Date: May 13, 2006 04:13PM

I am hoping it will allow for that and it will draw more people to the site which in turn will help it grow.

Posted by: ra-t (---.subnet14.dundee.ac.uk)
Date: May 14, 2006 02:29PM

working out a scoring system would be tricky indeed.

things like technical ability and style/flare (how well the player adds/builds to the song with mouth and hand tricks) could be taken into account i guess.

i agree with steve as well, if we limit people to playing songs that are found on this website, it will encourage them to get stuck into the site and explore it more, and if the song they want to play isnt there, they can just add it themselves, thus adding further to the tab list.

Post Edited (05-14-06 13:32)

Posted by: Infamis (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: May 14, 2006 08:16PM

it's great idea. But how we will be able to listen to the contesters? Maybe There will be special part of this web site with links to listen songs recorded by contesters? And I sugest two parts of the contest. First part: One song recorded, and secound one Improvisation... What do You think about it?

Date: May 15, 2006 12:43AM

We would have a seperate section on the site for the contest. As for voting my plans are to give every member one vote for each part of the contest. We would elimate small amounts of people that way as the contest went on people would get the chance to listen to more and more people.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.