HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
File Postings
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 02, 2006 05:05AM

I am a bit surprised to see such little interest in file postings. I thought this would be a much bigger item. So far we only have MP3s posted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: File Postings
Posted by: ra-t (---.subnet14.dundee.ac.uk)
Date: May 02, 2006 10:58AM

personally i havnt recorded anything i feel thats worthy of posting on the net for the whole world to see!

Posted by: djlactose (198.72.9.---)
Date: May 02, 2006 12:28PM

I don't blame you but I figured some people would have LOL

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 02, 2006 01:24PM

Is there a size limit on the file posting? I just realized today that it was up & running...I'm a little slow apparently.

Posted by: djlactose (198.72.9.---)
Date: May 02, 2006 01:37PM

There isn't a size restrictions on the uploads, but I have had trouble uploading large files. I think that was just because IE timed out though.

Posted by: [email protected] (---.com)
Date: May 03, 2006 04:27AM

I've been trying to make some recordings today but don't have any yet. I'm either making mistakes or my cat keeps interupting my playing. It's hard to record when a paw suddenly pushes up onto your face. I'm also experimenting with volume controls so it doesn't sound too distorted.

I do have a couple of suggestions though for posting recordings.

1: Recordings should be of tabs currently listed on harptabs.com but don't have to be your own. No sense posting a recording of random notes/riffs/melodys if nobody can follow it or learn it without a tab.

2: The name of the recording should be the same as the tab. In the event of doing a recording of a tab that someone else has already done, a sub name could be added ie. A Song.2.mp3

Are there any points awarded for posting recordings? Maybe a voting system for the recordings too so we can determine which ones are good.

Post Edited (05-03-06 01:29)

Date: May 03, 2006 04:33AM

there currently aren't any points award for file postings but I plan on giving them at some point.

Date: May 03, 2006 04:44AM

OK, A bug?

I just tried uploading a recording. I used the browse feature to find the song on one of my networked drives and uploaded it however when I click on the link, it doesn't give me the *.mp3 file but a *.php file instead.

Did I do something wrong or is there a bug?

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2006 04:45AM

Warning - Opinion ahead

I hope the file postings don't change the charactor of the site. The only place I see for file posting is attached to a tab, by the poster.

Date: May 03, 2006 04:51AM

Oh? I did it through the link "file postings" on the left side. Then clicked the "clicking here" link to submit a recording.

Date: May 03, 2006 04:51AM

no that is correct. It is the way the database works.

Date: May 03, 2006 04:54AM

So why are the first 2 recordings coming as mp3 files but mine is a php file when I click on them?

Date: May 03, 2006 05:02AM

That is an interesting issue. I am looking at it now.

Date: May 03, 2006 05:04AM

Tried another recording but this time entering it from the tab page with the same results

Date: May 03, 2006 05:07AM

try it now.

Post Edited (05-03-06 02:10)

Date: May 03, 2006 05:12AM

OK they play as mp3 files now however all the recordings, not just mine, only play for about 5 seconds worth of recordings. The rest of the recording is missing.

I have Cryin Time as a 350k file on my drive.

Post Edited (05-03-06 02:14)

Date: May 03, 2006 05:17AM

on mine it says 22 seconds.

Date: May 03, 2006 05:20AM

Clicking on the link doesn't play the full length of any of the recordings but then my Firefox browser wants to play all mp3 files with the quicktime player which might have something to do with it also. I'd configure it to Winamp if I could figure out where the setting was.

Date: May 03, 2006 05:27AM

try downloading the recording and then trying to play it. The mime encoding was incorrect on those files you uploaded for some reason which is why they didn't just work.

Date: May 03, 2006 05:28AM

Aha! I had 2 mp3 settings in the file associations. mp3 files now play through Winamp so it was a Quicktime problem. The file now plays the full length at 22 seconds.

When Winamp plays the file, it's listed as displayfile.php (0.22) instead of the mp3 file name.

All the recordings come out as a file name displayfile.php in Winamp but at least I can hear the full length now.

Post Edited (05-03-06 02:32)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.