HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Video and Sound Postings
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 24, 2006 12:25AM

I know in the past this has been a request several people have made. I have the ability to add this to the website quite easily. My only issue is copyright infringement. I have been going over this in my head and I believe we can do one of two things. The first thing (which was suggested by Puffpastry_Hangman) is to setup a YouTube group. This could work and the legal aspect would not be the responsibility of this site. The problem with this system is I don't have total control over the other site so either we have it open to everyone or I have to send emails out to every member of this site so they can join. The other option is if we setup a member posting only section, in that section if people saw content which was in violation of copyright rules they could flag it and I would view it. The other option I was think of which may be a little more fun would be that you have to "use" your points to post the videos and sound. So people would have to earn the credit to post content. This should give people more incentive to post more on the site. If the videos were hosted on this site I could also give out points on the ranking system for those who post videos and recordings of themselves. So what does everyone think about this?

Post Edited (04-23-06 21:41)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Video and Sound Postings
Posted by: [email protected] (---.com)
Date: April 24, 2006 12:56AM

As I mentioned in another post, we could also use the Audio Portal on www.newgrounds.com. It's full of personal recordings any many of them are copyrighted material.

Maybe get them to make a new subgroup called Harmonica.

"As with the flash portal, all content submitted must have been created by the user submitting it."

ie: recordings of us playing anything.

"Original music is extremely important to NG. If you make music that you believe could be used by Flash artists, submit it to the Audio Portal! Flash authors will be able to freely use your music, and you will be immortalized with permanent credits!"

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2006 02:43AM

It might be a idea to limit posting to songs that have been tabbed. It could help people learn to play a song.

Date: April 24, 2006 03:40AM

That could be done as well, one of the things someone mentioned that they would like to do is do a video of them performing. What I could do is set things up so anyone who wants to play a song on video or in MP3 could "tack" their performance to a tab. The performances would also show up on the profile page and points would be given those who participate.

Date: April 24, 2006 03:56AM

That is something they always could have done, Stick a link in with the tabs. That might free you from liability?

Date: April 24, 2006 04:22AM

I was talking about having anyone could post their playing or video, not just the poster.

Posted by: ra-t (---.subnet14.dundee.ac.uk)
Date: April 26, 2006 01:09PM

Hmmmmm....i thought there'd be more interest for this.

Date: April 26, 2006 02:49PM

As an easy to put togather thing, How about a forum where people post links to their music. People have always been able to do this. If there were a special place to post to it might work.

Date: April 26, 2006 04:29PM

I am thinking I will set this up on the site, and if it becomes a problem we will address it. I just need to finish up somethings I am working on before I can do it. I also would like some ideas on the actual system, like what people would like to use this ability to do so I can code it to meet peoples desires.

Date: April 26, 2006 07:34PM

My idea for this would be that people can post Video/MP3s of themselves and either attach them to a song or just post them on the site in a new section. When you view a user profile it would display their Video and Audio postings they way the profiles currently display the tabs and requests. Also when you are viewing a song with a Multimedia attachment it would show that their were attachments to the song and you could display those attachments. I am going to need testers for this new feature (I have already coded the uploading portion, the only thing left is to add it to the site). Anyone interested please PM me.

Posted by: djlactose (198.72.9.---)
Date: April 27, 2006 06:05PM

No volunteers?

Posted by: ra-t (---.subnet14.dundee.ac.uk)
Date: April 30, 2006 11:23AM

Im a bit busy wih examinations at the mo but i might see later tonight about recording something simple, maybe just a test or something.

Posted by: gsatgdo (---.234.24.2.Dial1.Miami1.Level3.net)
Date: April 30, 2006 05:56PM

Hello Mr djlactose
I read your posting for volunteers to post sounds.
I already have a few tabs posted on your site, and I also have recorded my harp playing for all those posted tabs in my computer, in MP3 format. All the MP3 sound files are less than 1 meg. If you want me to upload, send me instructions.
Irv

Date: April 30, 2006 07:50PM

I have decided to just turn this feature on and we will test it live. You should see a new multimedia link on the left bar. You should also see a line to add a multimedia post when viewing a tab.

Posted by: gsatgdo (---.234.48.126.Dial1.Miami1.Level3.net)
Date: May 02, 2006 11:45PM

Uploaded sound files help identify the posted tabs melody in harmonica sound, instead of a midi link. Also it can be a valuable learning aid and help you become a better player. If you have difficulty or a problem with a certain tab or playing technique, your playing can be evaluated and commented on by forum members. And constructive advice given by forum members. You can post where you require advice, and then refer to your sound file. One picture is worth a thousand words, the same can be said for sound.
IRV

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas1.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 09:07PM

Hey, and by simply listening to others play it may help those of us who are trying to learn a certain tab to get it nailed down. I know that there are songs that I can not seem to "get", so that I have come to believe that if I had the opportunity to listen to someone else play the harp through it, then I might be able to learn the part...

-Rufus

Date: May 10, 2006 09:36PM

rwhite3 wrote:

> Hey, and by simply listening to others play it may help those
> of us who are trying to learn a certain tab to get it nailed
> down. I know that there are songs that I can not seem to
> "get", so that I have come to believe that if I had the
> opportunity to listen to someone else play the harp through it,
> then I might be able to learn the part...
>
> -Rufus

I agree. Since tabs don't incorporate timing unless you know the tune it is almost impossible to play it. With a recording you know what you should be going for.

Date: May 11, 2006 02:39AM

Delete the first posting of "no one needs to know"

An upload bug I guess. If I posted a recording of a song then decide to change it and repost it, the original uploaded recording is still available. I was expecting the first one to be overwritten since both postings were by me. If the song title is the same, it shouldn't save another version. The uploader should have an option to delete a recording if a new, better version is going to be uploaded. As I progress, I may play a song better and wish to have the better version available for others.

Other than that, today's recordings uploaded fine as mp3 files. The only thing I did different was to move the file off a networked drive to my main machine before uploading it.

Date: May 11, 2006 02:47AM

ok I will remove it for you, I didn't even think about the removal of postings.

Date: May 12, 2006 05:56AM

Remove another?

I just posted the All in the Family theme and for some reason, something got screwed up. Even the recording on my machine is short and for some reason, the .mp3 tag didn't get attached to the file.

I need to record it again and repost.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.