HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
My tabs are getting better
Posted by: [email protected] (---.com)
Date: January 14, 2006 04:17AM

Harping now for about 3 months and I'm getting closer to the top ten on harptabs.com

From looking back at my early tabs, my newest ones are much much better. I just posted Seven Spanish Angels. It's a beautiful song and I don't think anyone can play it on the guitar like Willie Nelson can. I was holding this tab back, wanting it to be my 50th tab posted but decided to let everyone else have it now as my 45th post. Trouble is I don't know what special song I can post for my 50th tab now although I have a few in the works.

Even though I've posted many tabs, I haven't commited all of my own tabs to memory. Some of them I've tabbed just to see if it could be done. There's a lot of songs I'd like to do but find it impossible on a diatonic harp.

Keep looking for more of my tabs. There's enough songs out there to keep us busy for a long time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My tabs are getting better
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 02:34PM

yes there are billions of songs out there. So come on, everyone, stop slacking off I want 1 million tabs by the end of this year :-P

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 04:58PM

Good Job BlueWest.

It is a wonderful feeling to share something you love.

Date: January 14, 2006 11:54PM

What gets me is that songs that are really good and well known don't get downloaded as much as some simple jingle or melody/theme songs. Harpers are sure strange. I was surprised to see how many downloads Minuet in G has and I never expected that to be so popular.

As far as I'm concerned, playing tabbed music is the best practice you can get on a harp. Nobody can be expected to play any riffs or blues accompaniments without being able to play simple stuff first without thinking about the notes. I tried to do bends when I first started and managed a couple of them. Since I'm doing tabbed music, bends are not as important unless there's a difficult note to hit to make it sound right. It's usually going to be a 3 draw bend to hit a Bb or A note.

I've found that when I hear a song I like, I grab the harp and see if I can hit the correct notes first or see if I can hold a specific note in the song. I've actually played along with the melody to a couple of them without even trying. Of course they were also simple melody songs and not possible to tab completely on a diatonic harp.

Date: January 15, 2006 05:15AM

I am always finding songs that cannot be played on a diatonic. I prefer the diatonic, but I got chromatic just so that I could play more songs.

Keep doing the songs you love, if they can be done. You are bringing music to others that love it. The hardest thing about learning to play harmonica is finding tabs for the music you love.

I hope more people tab more kinds of music.

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: January 15, 2006 07:32PM

I was checkin' out your tabs just this morning Stephen... and I have definitely seen marked improvement. (grin))) Keep 'em coming!

~always Maria.

Posted by: harmonicaemail (---.c3-0.lex-ubr3.sbo-lex.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 04:23AM

for the 50th tab, i always say go big or go home. something awesome. i hope this helps

Date: January 20, 2006 06:43AM

My 50th turned into 50 and 51. I posted Stevie Nicks's Silver Springs. It was the best one I could come up with that I thought was worthy enough for a special post.

Since then I haven't completed any more good tabs. I have a few started but they're not done yet. The one I'm currently working on is at a standstill. I need a copy of the song to finish it or the sheet music if I can find it in the library. There's only so much I can do from memory. What I'm working on is secret since I want the recognition of the tab as my post. It just may take me a while to find the music. It's an old jazz song from the mid 40's that was resung as a blues tune back in the 80's. It was released again in the early 90's and sounds more like a jazz tune again. Just depends what tempo you play it at. I know everyone will know the song once I post and it's easy to play but unfortunately, they will have to wait until I get the recording I'm after so I can finish the tab.

I think I'm going to start moving away from the more popular/modern tunes. I've noticed newer songs are actually very complicated to play compared to the older songs. I wanted to tab some of Heart's songs a while back but every song that was a hit is very hard to do on a diatonic harp.

So as it stands, I'm taking a break from posting tabs until I get this current one finished. If I find some easy simple ones to do I may post them. I noticed something simple like the Sesame Street theme got a lot of interest. Those simple melodies that everyone knows is good for practicing.

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 07:10AM

Sesame Street is also something fun to play and puts a smile on peoples faces

Date: January 21, 2006 03:57AM

I was thinking about tabbing that one too. You beat me to it. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.