HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
tabbing
Posted by: irishharpman (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: December 30, 2005 01:52PM

I ran out of room and hit the backspace button after an entire song was tabbed and lost the whole thing. Did this ever happen to anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tabbing
Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 02:30PM

Can't say that it has.

Now I have had it happen that I was trying to submit, & lost my connection, and the result was the loss of 20 minutes of work. I've also accidentally hit a book mark or something when entering stuff in, and as a result, I've lost what I was working on.

This is part of why I've started tabbing in something like Notepad, EditPad or Prolix. I can then just cut & paste into the posting box. If I need to, I can also split it up into multiple postings.

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 03:30PM

irishharpman wrote:

> I ran out of room and hit the backspace button after an entire
> song was tabbed and lost the whole thing. Did this ever happen
> to anyone?

The backspace key in Internet Explorer actually works as the back button is you are not inside a text field. I have had this happen to me on my occcasions. If you click any where else on the browser and then hit backspace it will take you back one page.

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 06:33PM

The best thing to do is always type your tabs in a text editor, and paste it into the add a tab screen. If you do it that way and use courior font you will be much happier with your results.

Date: December 30, 2005 09:24PM

Why does everyone have this absolute love of Courier? (or courier new) Personally, I much prefer Andale Mono, Lucida Console, or Monotype.com. Shoot, I even prefer OCR-A Extended or Terminal. I know Courier looks a lot like a typical typewriter, and most of the others not so much, but they are all monospace fonts, and the others have the added advantage of printing the underscore character. (I'm not talking about having the underline option turned on, I'm actually talking about that silly little key up beside zero that has the hyphen & underscore on it.) For some reason, Courier & Courier new, while this character will display on the monitor just fine, it won't print.

Date: December 30, 2005 09:56PM

Point taken. Mono space font. Most people don't know what that is so I keep saying Courier. Courier is a font that exists on all machines that I know of, so it works for all.

Date: December 30, 2005 10:56PM

It doesn't work on all machines but I had a long debate through email about it and the person insisted that this is the font everyone was using and the site should display it that way.

Date: December 30, 2005 11:07PM

Anyone with windows has courier, courier new, terminal, & fixedsys. Anyone with virtually any version of MS Office probably has Lucida Console & OCR-A (in some form or fashion) The best thing to do, is to specify a font-family using CSS and start with the one you really want people to use and then specify alternates, ending with monospace as the final option. Most browsers will pick a default monospace font (which can be changed by the user) and if none of the specific fonts are available, the use of monospace as an option at the end of the font-family list will make the browser use its current monospace default.

As far as courier vs monospace goes, I just felt like being somewhat of a snit, but I'm better now......maybe!! >>EVIL GRIN<< I just find it funny that courier has almost become like kleenex and coke--a particular "brand" being used as a substitute name for the actual item. (Courier = Monospace Font, Coke = Soda, Kleenex = Facial Tissue, etc.)

Date: December 31, 2005 12:05AM

I don't do Windoze. smiling smiley

Post Edited (12-30-05 20:07)

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 04:11AM

Are you a fruit or a penguin?

If you don't know, I'll explain later!

Date: December 31, 2005 04:31AM

Do I detect that >>>EVIL GRIN<<< again?

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 04:48AM

Who? Me???

Date: December 31, 2005 08:38AM

<rant>
I have extensive dealings with Win-don't, The Fruit, The Penguin and Unix (out of respect I will leave that one alone).

Unix is the oldest and still the most stable there is, I have seen Unix systems stay up for 20 years without any maintenance. In fact at my old company we were cleaning out the server room in 2002 and stumbled upon a server long forgotten which had been up and running using Unix since 1985.

Lynx is great but it still is too difficult for the average person to use, but it has come a very long way in that department and will continue to do so. Lynx is excellent to build secure cheap servers. It can take a computer which now-a-days would be considered garbage and turn it into a powerhouse server.

With Macs it is the question of the chicken or the egg, people don't get Macs because the majority of other people don't have a Mac so they are afraid of them. Macs are excellent for graphic work and movie work, but good luck finding software for other things you want to do, sure it exists but try and find a place which carries it.

When it comes down to it Windows is the most user friendly and isn't going any where for a long time. The average person doesn't have the time or the willingness to learn a whole new way of doing things. Although Microsoft is now moving towards designs similar to Macs and Lynx which I think is a huge mistake on their part. Once people learn a better way they will have no problem leaving for a cheap alternative.

I am now going to say something which I know will cause a huge argument but here goes, The world needs Windows. Without a standard platform the computer industry would never have grown to what it is now and would not continue to grow. The only reason Microsoft products have so many viruses and bugs is because they are the number one platform which makes it the biggest target. I guarantee that as the other platforms get more and more popular the virus levels and bug/exploit detections raises as well. Why are you going to waste your time writing spyware and virus which can only affect a small percentage of users when you can write something which will affect 90% of the people out there?
</rant>

Ok now that I finished my rant I am sure I am going to start others lol. It all has been building up for a while so I had to let it out.

Date: December 31, 2005 04:13PM

ROFLMAO!!

Now for something a little more on topic:

As much as I fully agree with using a text editor and then doing cut and paste to create tabs, there is one issue (which doesn't necessarily need to be addressed) that using an external editor produces. It is easier to go beyond the character limitation without realizing it. there are ways around this, but they involve doing multiple posts to get the entire song and/or respacing (which can kill your tab-to-lyric formatting.) Also, you can do little things like removing punctuation marks of any and all varieties.

The reason I say it doesn't necessarily need to be addressed, is because Nick has explained that when he tried to allow larger submissions, they didn't always post correctly, so it's something that we will just have to live with.

I think the better way to address it would be to go ahead and make that program that lets you download & manage the tabs, but also include a tab creation spot that has the SAME limitations as the tab input box on the web site, but allow for automatic local back-up & saving. Then, the software could be set up to upload the tabs as well. Just a thought.

Date: December 31, 2005 05:39PM

That is a great idea. I am going to be working on getting the possible length longer and on allowing the characters which are currently not allowed. I have a way of allowing all characters the problem is it will require me to make a simple change but in a lot of different places and if i miss on the tabs will not display. I am going to start working on that shortly. I have to finish up a project I am working on for another website first.

Date: December 31, 2005 05:47PM

I will try to stop taking the bait. I only want to include the evoryone possible.

Date: December 31, 2005 06:41PM

Don't worry about "taking the bait"...

Sometimes I invent my own bait! ...

Wait for it....

>>>EVIL GRIN<<<

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.