HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Keys
Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2005 05:05AM

It would be nice if a couple new keys could be added to the add a tab page. It would be nice to see Low F and High G for diatonic. It would be nice to see C Tenor for chromatic, I was thinking of getting one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Keys
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 10, 2005 05:34AM

If people will use the keys I will add them.

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 10, 2005 12:54PM

DISCLAIMER: These are merely my views, and I fully realize that others may (and probably do) have a difference of opinion from mine. I am merely expressing my opinion about & reasons for not using the key indicator box.

I don't see a need for a key indicator on diatonic tabs at all, and here's why:

All standard tuned major diatonic harps have the exact same relative notes in the exact same positions:

_1__-1___2__-2___3__-3___4__-4___5__-5___6__-6__-7___7__-8___8__-9___9_-10__10
Do__Re__Mi__So__So__Ti__Do__Re__Mi__Fa__So__La__Ti__Do__Re__Mi__Fa__So__La__Do

Because of this, indicating a key on a diatonic harp tab is pointless, IMO. It might be more important to indicate what type of diatonic harp is used, for instance, whether or not the harp used to create the tab was a minor key harp, or possibly a custom tuning. Also, a position indicator might be more helpful than a true key indicator. That way, if we want to play the song with a group, we can tell them what key to play in based on what harp we have, or we can select the correct harp based on the key the group plays in.

As far as indicating tenor for the chromatics, well, I don't think that's got much of a point, either. While knowing what key the song is in makes more sense with a chromatic, the key of C is the key of C irregardless of whether or not you use a tenor or standard harp. Again, arguement could be made that key is pointless on this as well, because there are key of G based chromatics, and as long as the song is tabbed out correctly, the end result will be the same.

Date: December 10, 2005 05:27PM

While the notes would be correct on a song played on a C chromatic and a C Tenor chromatic, The sound would not be the same. Some songs just need thoes lower notes to sound right.

Date: January 21, 2006 05:04PM

I am hitting a lot of songs that go too low for C chromatic, Please add C Tenor.

Date: January 22, 2006 09:14PM

I can add C Tenor. Is there anything else which people would like added as I add the C Tenor?

Date: January 23, 2006 12:31AM

If it's no more work, the low f and the high G would be nice

Date: January 23, 2006 05:48AM

I can do that, anyone else think more should be added?

Post Edited (01-24-06 11:54)

Posted by: RollinRevue (---.shellus.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 10:46PM

The only reason to add Keys are if you wish to play along with whomever did the song that you wish to play. i.e. "Move it on over" by Hank Williams senior "C" (he wrote that song) or "Move it on over" by George Thourogood "A"
Keep Wailing, Pat the Harp Rat

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.