HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
900 Tabs
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 06:35PM

Thank you everyone for making this site so large. I can't believe how big this site has become in such a short period of time. When I was making it I never thought this would become such a large site.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 900 Tabs
Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 06:55PM

Didn't count on that many people being interested in the harmonica, did you?

I'm glad the site doesn't cost, (please don't change that >cheesey grin<winking smiley but I can tell you, in my opinion, that this is one of only a handful of sites that would be worth paying for.

Date: December 08, 2005 09:00PM

Not that I didn't think the harmonica was that popular I just didn't think people would find the site amoung all of the others out there, and even if they did I didn't think they would post content or keep coming back to an empty site. This site sure has come a long way. It was worth spending all of my free time on that week long business trip in Ann Habor writting it lol.

Date: December 08, 2005 09:17PM

pcguyiv wrote:

> Didn't count on that many people being interested in the
> harmonica, did you?
>
> I'm glad the site doesn't cost, (please don't change that
> >cheesey grin<winking smiley but I can tell you, in my opinion, that this is
> one of only a handful of sites that would be worth paying for.

As for the site becoming a pay site, that just isn't going to happen (As tempting as it is). I believe the internet should be for the free exchange of knowledge and ideas. If it was up to me I wouldn't even have ads on the site, I hate ads, but it is a necessary evil so the site can support itself.

The only benifit to making this a pay site is that I would then make this my full time job and this site would have everything we have discussed feature wise and anything else we could think of (including some ideas I have but am not sharing LOL). Morally I am just dead set against it though so I will never do it. The only thing that may happen is that I have some sort of additional feature people can get for a fee but I don't plan on having anything like that for a long time.

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 10:34PM

I know at one point in time you had mentioned something about a program that would let you download the tabs to your hard drive, and offering the software for free, but pay for the ability to download, either on a per tab or per month basis. I actually like that idea, but what if the program was good for more than just downloading the tabs. What if it also could be used to write and upload new tabs? Also, what if it could possibly work as an electric notebook for organizing the tabs? The electric notebook would always function whether you used it for uploading & downloading or not, but you would have to pay a service fee to use the uploading & downloading features.

Date: December 09, 2005 12:16AM

Actually that is along the lines of what I was planning on doing. The only thing I didn't plan on having was the upload feature. I still need to find the time to work on that along with all of the other changes I would like to make.

Posted by: [email protected] (68.144.64.---)
Date: December 09, 2005 01:35AM

Being a free site probably helps. I've seen other more professional or commercial looking sites however you either need to be a paying member or just a registered member to do anything. As nice as it sounds, I'm not paying for a service when I don't even know what kind of service it will offer once I am a paying member.

This site might not be the best laid out or organized, I've used better forums, the tab list is getting so big that dialup users must wait a while for the entire thing to load but it's still a free site and I'll still keep using it. Web sites will always grow and normally grow as improvements are made. To hit off on a site idea that's taken off like this one has is pretty good. My own personal racing web site only gets 200-300 hits a day. That's a lot but still small to major sites.

There's lots of stuff that's still free on the internet but they're getting harder to find. Keep it free, keep it updated, keep improving and we'll keep coming back.

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 09, 2005 04:36AM

Very well put.

Date: December 09, 2005 04:42AM

This site will remain free, the only paying thing we discussed was me writting custom desktop software which would allow you to download tabs and save then locally. The site itself would remain free and seperate.

There are a lot of changes I would like to do to this site if I only had the free time to work on it. The song list was mainly setup so google could find all of the songs on the site and they would be listed on there (which worked). That is why it is just one big long list. I need to break up the cell phone site to change the list into smaller managable groups. When I do that I can also make the change to the song list page. Just another thing I will add to the list of to-dos.

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 13, 2005 04:52PM

Nick, I sure appreciate you keeping this site a free place to go. I attribute Harptabs as the website that inspired me the 1st day I came home with a harmonica. It's the 'motherload' of tabbed music, and in my mind, a real "God thing!" (serene smile)))

Your ability to write programs and be soo good on computers is a true gift, and what you did for harmonica players everywhere has blessed us all!

As BlueWest soo elequantly said, you keep doing what you do best, & we'll keep coming back! lol

Thanx sweetie!

~always Maria.

Date: December 13, 2005 09:46PM

now you have gone and made me blush :-P

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 03:21AM

I bet you have 1000 Tabs in January!

Posted by: [email protected] (68.144.64.---)
Date: December 14, 2005 04:28AM

January? At the rate we're going we may hit 1000 before the end of Dec. It's only 70 or so more tabs and 3 weeks.

Date: December 14, 2005 04:56AM

yea lol i can't believe how many tabs have been being posted recently.

Date: December 14, 2005 03:59PM

lol yes, at the rate Steve tabs 'em out, 1000 will loom up on us faster than the speed of light! (giggling)))

I've got a couple of tabs I'm workin' on... but I'm not pushin' it until after Christmas... not enough time on my end. That's okay though, for keeping up with the tabs on this homepage is enough to keep me busy enough. lol

hehehe Nick, do you ever feel like "Frankenstien?"... like you created a "monster!" roflamo Monster website, that is!

~always Maria.

Post Edited (12-14-05 12:01)

Date: December 14, 2005 09:36PM

I always hoped the site would become this popular but truthfully I never thought it would. I thought it would go the way of all the other sites I had created in the past and never get seen until I gave up and decided not to pay for it anymore. That is why I orginally had this site on my business site figuring I would move it in the unlikely chance it actually was used by people.

If I can come up with 137 more sites this successful I can make a living doing it. So I am going to be starting a new project which I think is a great idea and I know I will find very useful in the coming months. Once everything is being worked on I will post the details here.

Date: December 16, 2005 05:30PM

hehehe

Yesterday, I HAD to add another song... in the hopes of bringing our tabs up to 1000 by the New Year! roflamo!

Come on people... we can do it!!!

Date: December 16, 2005 06:16PM

We already maxed out our bandwidth for this month...I can't believe it lol.

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2005 09:58PM

It seems that you got to 1000 songs before January. Amazing.

Date: December 26, 2005 06:07AM

I think that happened because everyone tried to meet that goal. I think it would have taken a little while long if we didn't set that as our goal.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.