HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
ideas
Posted by: RollinRevue (---.msn.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 03:06AM

Hi! I am a newbie on the site, but a (relativly) experianced harp player. I like this site. I sure will get to learn more songs, and be entertained too!! I think that it might be helpfull if when we post harp tabs that we include the position that that the song is in. i.e. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 12th, ect. As far as timing goes, I think that any particular song's timing goes we probably already have the song on some media and will try to do the song like that. Lets not complicate the notation any more than we have to.

thanks. Pat the Harp Rat

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ideas
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 07:45AM

If everyone thinks this is an important thing to have I can added it. I will put it on the ever growing list lol.

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 20, 2005 05:23PM

While it could be helpful to people who know a little bit more about harp playing and music theory, people like me (who know just enough to be dangerous) wouldn't (and probably don't) have a clue what position over half of what they post is in. I know I certainly fit in that category. Not saying it's not a good idea, but for the most part, I'm not sure it would get used much.

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 05:23PM

I'm going to sound a little like Frank here (giggle))) but, I think that a feature listing position is one of those that might not be used soo much. Simply because beginners don't necessarily understand the wheel of fifths. I made a study of it, when I was trying to get a grip on all aspects of harmonica playing, but not everybody is quite as obsessive as me. lol

Particularly for those who are tabbin' by ear and not the actual sheet music, it might be difficult to know what position they think they're playing.

If I happen to know the key the song is in, from sheet music, I'll state the key, instead of saying "any"... and I might add a note on what crossharp is good for the song. Or if I'm not sure what key the original song was in, I'll state what key I'm playing it & think sounds good, but I don't think I'm always correct either. lol

Currently, I'd say 90% or better of the songs listed on this site are in the 1st position, although, I have noticed more & more advanced musicians stating other key positions.

I think it would be one of those features that would sometimes be used and oftened ignore... but again, it's great to have all those options to choose from! (grin)))

~always Maria.

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 21, 2005 03:19PM

The main reason I say "any" when listing the key is because it doesn't matter what key harp you use (unless you want to be an intelligent donkey and say, "Well, what about minor keys?"winking smiley, so it's subject to change depending on what key harp you use.

I somewhat understand the circle of 5ths, but not well enough. I do know that 2nd position is the key of the to the Draw 2/Blow 3 note on the harp, and 3rd position is the minor key of the Draw 4 on the harp, but that's more from recent necessity than any real musical knowledge. I've been told that my variation of Amazing Grace is in 12th position, but I pretty much have to take their word for that.

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: November 21, 2005 03:44PM

It took me awhile to catch on, but from my research I understand there are two ways to crossharp.

One way is to exchange harps. So, if you have a C harp & want to play 2nd positon, simply count up 4 from "C" to get "F" (C=1, D=2, E=3 and F=4) To me, this is the easiest way.

The 2nd way is use the same harmonica ("C" in this case), but play the cross harp scale starting with the #2 draw by counting back 5 keys (B, Bb, A, Ab, to "G"winking smiley to get the C scale in a different layout. This is trickier because you have to be very good at bending notes to get the entire scales. The "Amazing Grace" I summited to this site is crossharped this way.

And that's about the extent of my understanding of positions. There are charts out there to help take the brain work out of knowing what position you're playing, but Frank is correct in that, it really doesn't matter what key, for it all transposes in any key. Unless, of course, you're playing in a band, then knowing what position would be necessary, but the solo playing most of us do, we can play the tabs listed here in ANY key.

There is a gentleman, Mark Purintun, who runs a this website:
[www.harpinanawhinin.com] <--he has a lessons link that refers more to the subject. I've had him in emails before and he really knows his stuff, and his tabs & midi's are excellent, if anyone is curious to know more, I'm sure he can explain it better than I. (grin)))

~always Maria.

P.S. Not saying that listing positons is an idea that "sucks." lol It's just some people are brainer about this subject than most of us players! (giggle)))

Post Edited (11-21-05 11:50)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.