HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Chat Room
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 04:23AM

There has been a request to create a chat room on the site. If I do the work and create it how many people would use it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chat Room
Posted by: Barbarian (---.clss.net)
Date: September 05, 2005 04:25AM

I would consider it if other people were on it. A suggestion would be something like a preordained meeting time or something.
-kg

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: September 05, 2005 04:35PM

hi (smile)))

I would definitely be interested & willing to hang out a hour a week with you folks. (grin))) As it is, I usually wake up at my computer and am at this forum every morning! lol

As a stay at home Mom, I'm almost always around. The only time frame that would be impossible for me is Mon-Thurs. 6-8pm PT/9-11pm ET because that's when I put dinner on for my family and do homework with my kids. My son is starting 7th grade, so it's going to be a busy school year for us.

If Nick goes through all the trouble of creating a chat room for our forum, I'm sure we can hash out some good day/time frames that would work for the majority of us.

What do others think?

~always Maria.

Posted by: Barbarian (---.resnet.purdue.edu)
Date: September 06, 2005 07:02PM

my schedule changes pretty regularly so i cant give an exact time but i can probably squeeze something in about any time

Date: September 06, 2005 07:44PM

I don't know if I would even be able to be there often but as long as others will be I wouldn't mind making it.

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 07, 2005 01:02PM

Chat rooms are all right, but I prefer message boards. I tend to be fairly deliberate about what I post, and I like the ability to go back and edit what I say if needed. Chat rooms are more spontaneous, but for people like me, they aren't much fun. There's maybe 1 or 2 chat rooms that I visit regularly, and even then, it's relatively rare. It's probably because I can do well with a one-on-one conversation (in real life and things like AIM, Yahoo Messenger, etc.), but I tend to get lost or left behind in group discussions (again, both in real life and in IRC type settings).

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas1.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 11:48PM

I too would be interrested in this.

-rufus

Date: December 18, 2005 06:41AM

I have dealt with chatrooms on many other sites and they all ended up being useless because no one coordinated meeting times. I could setup a chartroom, but without someone coordinating meeting times it will not be used. I don't have the time to do it or I would try.

Post Edited (12-18-05 15:02)

Date: December 18, 2005 05:23PM

I said I would be interested in a chat room before, but since then, have come to think that it's not really all that important. Harmonica Club has a chat room for anyone interested in that... But, I've never been able to access their chatroom & still have a great time communicating with members on forums & in personal emails.

Even at Harmonica Club, they only have a few core regulars who actually utilize the chatroom provided, & I know they have a few hundred members that "could" use it, but don't bother. Heck, Harmonica Club lets non-members use their chatroom & still there isn't all that many who attend.

If Nick wanted to set up a chat room, I'd still be quite willing to cocoordinate meeting times and be there to make things happen. For years, I use to work as a HOST for AOL, and was very good at it. (smile))) But, I don't know how neccessary a chatroom is to Harptabs development at this time.

Shut, at this time, Harptabs is growing soo fast, poor Nick can barely keep up with the bandwidth! lol Perhaps in the future, when things 'level out,' we can discuss the idea of a chatroom again & see if it's feasable.

What do you think Nick? Do you think that in the future, it might be something we can still talk about & maybe do?

~always Maria.

Date: December 18, 2005 07:05PM

My next project unfortunetly will be to move this site to a larger site where it will be able to continue to grow. So until it is on the new space I can't revist the chatroom idea because I don't know what the new space will provide us.

Date: December 19, 2005 05:54PM

wow... this is like what, the 3rd time Harptabs has had to move to a larger space since July?

It blows me away because when I first started coming around at the end of July, it was soo quiet around here. hehehe I'm really likin' the way things have been developing. I like that we have more vocal people participating on the forum. (doing happy happy dance))))

~always Maria.

Date: December 19, 2005 06:32PM

This will be our third server. I started the site on 5/4/2004. The new server I am planning on moving to will be pretty much impossible to exceed the space. The webserver is larger then most peoples PCs lol.

Post Edited (12-19-05 15:31)

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 09:49PM

Not saying you don't know what you're talking about, and text-based files ARE fairly small, but I remember back in the days when it was thought a 40 Meg (Not Gig...MEG) hard drive would be all the space you'd ever need.

Date: December 19, 2005 10:26PM

The new server is going to be 20 gig lol

Date: December 20, 2005 04:12AM

The other thing is our problem isn't so much the space of the site it is the amount of hits we get. The new server will have some where around 400 gig a month worth of transfer, and so far in the two years this site has been operating we have not even used on gig total.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.