HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Website Ideas
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2004 07:17AM

Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve the website? I woudl like to keep expanding this site but I am running out of ideas. Please feel free to post them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Website Ideas
Posted by: Sukhoi (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 03:59PM

Hello ,

what about a small download section ,i thing it could be a zipfile of all songs .

Another suggestion is im usually play guitar i know a lot of sites of course but i´m always miss the right harp tabs for the songs perhaps you can put it together ?? Harp and Guitar ???And dont forget you have more hits in any search engine !
Im the best sample it was hard to find your site !

if you want i support you cause for almost all the songs here i have the Chords and tabs (guitar ) !

harping on everybody !

Best regards from germany "malotte"

Date: November 26, 2004 07:27PM

A zip file download of all of the songs would be a huge task to undertake. I will look into it but I don't think it is something I will be able to do. As for adding a section on guitars, I don't think that is feasible either. There are so many guitar websites already out there. When ever I am looking for tabs I always find the guitar tab without even looking for it. I also don't know anything about playing the guitar, so I couldn't code to accept guitar tabs when I myself don't know how to read them or how they work.

Posted by: LedZeppelin (207.195.51.---)
Date: February 11, 2005 05:52PM

I think you need to macth the tab up with the lyrics better on the songs. I find that when playing them it is hard to flow if the notes aren't above the syllable that it goes with. Just a thought. . .

Posted by: Jamtharp (---.04-7-6f736411.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se)
Date: February 13, 2005 03:26AM

Well sen.
To match the lyrics with the tabs I think most of us try to do our best. still the problem with tabs is that you mostly doesn't get all the information there. If you are familiar with the song the tab is not so much of a problem.You allready have the song in your head and have a feeling for the duration of the notes on the tab...But you don't get all the info as you would with regular notes....
The best wat then would be to write in the tabnumbers (and bendings) together with the real notes...
Or perhaps you just mean tabs aand lyrics...?
some ideas for that:
If you translate from some Fakebook or note you can match the bars, so that every line of tabs is equal to four bars, or three or two.( I hope I make my reflections understandable)
also stretching the words or adding som letters:
I'm hooked on a feeeeeeeeling
Yester-day , yesterrrr-Youuuu yester-meee...
It may look crazy but it might help.
And when we can, adding midilinks is very helpful too. ( even if some midis sounds like Atarigames from the merry eighties..

Date: February 13, 2005 11:24AM

That would be nice to do, but I am not really sure how I could do something like that. It really is up to the poster if everything lines up.

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 08:12PM

I've given up trying to make things line up. I just make sure that all the notes on top correspond to the words on the bottom. Unfortunately, this requires familiarity with the music. I was going to post some music, but I don't have any way of making midis, and most places I can find won't accept mp3's or wma files, and wave files are just too d*** big.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making midi files or know of any place that will host mp3's or wma's for cheap or preferably free?

Date: May 18, 2005 05:55PM

pcguyiv wrote:

> I've given up trying to make things line up. I just make sure
> that all the notes on top correspond to the words on the
> bottom. Unfortunately, this requires familiarity with the
> music. I was going to post some music, but I don't have any
> way of making midis, and most places I can find won't accept
> mp3's or wma files, and wave files are just too d*** big.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for making midi files or know
> of any place that will host mp3's or wma's for cheap or
> preferably free?
>

There are a lot of cheap hosters out there now a days. I found one which I use for my business when a customer needs a lot of space [www.canaca.com] They are cheap and provide a huge amount of space.

Date: May 20, 2005 06:18PM

What about adding a menu option once logged in that takes you directly to the list of all the songs you've posted?

Another idea is to add an "Any" listing to the difficulty selection in the song search box.

Lastly, how about breaking the list of songs up some? I had two ideas on how to do this:

Idea #1: Allow the user to select how many songs per page he wants to see.

Idea #2: Since the songs are already alphabetized, have links for each letter that would bring up only the songs starting with that letter. You could also include a "Show All" option for those who want to wait around for the whole list to load.

The speed issue isn't too bad if you're using a high-speed connection, but for those of us who are stuck using dial-up, it sometimes takes a while for all the songs to load.

Date: May 21, 2005 05:40AM

A lot of the features you have asked for are on the site, if you think they should be setup differently let me know. I will address the ideas in the order in which you posted them.

When you click on a user name it displays a link to show all of the songs they have posted. You can do that for anyone you want and the only requirement is that you are log into the website.

The way I have things currently setup it displays the same list for all parts of the website when it refers to difficulty. I can modify that one instance to display all difficulties.

I have the song list mainly so that when search engines scan the site to look for content they get an entire list of the songs on the site. I didn't really write it to be used as a resource for finding songs; I figured that the search page would be used for that. If you find it more useful to look at the song list please let me know what other things would help to make improvements.

Due to my tight schedule I will try to make the changes when I can but the song list ones will be detailed changes since currently it is just a dumb listing with no intelligence behind it.

Date: May 21, 2005 02:28PM

Fair enough. I can certainly appreciate being on a tight schedule.

When you add a tab or edit a tab, it goes to that page that says, "Song Added" or "Song Edited" What about a re-direct on that page after a few seconds that would take you to the newly created/edited song?

Post Edited (05-21-05 11:31)

Posted by: ORION (---.megared.net.mx)
Date: May 21, 2005 08:56PM

I think is hard to find a tab for the genere, i personally dont put the genere of the songs because is hard to put labels on music.
i think will be easy if you put a link to all bands or artist and for de unknowns someting like television, poular songs,movies etc.

Date: May 22, 2005 06:13AM

ORION wrote:

> I think is hard to find a tab for the genere, i personally dont
> put the genere of the songs because is hard to put labels on
> music.
> i think will be easy if you put a link to all bands or artist
> and for de unknowns someting like television, poular
> songs,movies etc.

You can sort the song list by band by clicking on the by column name. I think this will provide what you are looking for.

Date: May 22, 2005 06:14AM

pcguyiv wrote:

> Fair enough. I can certainly appreciate being on a tight
> schedule.
>
> When you add a tab or edit a tab, it goes to that page that
> says, "Song Added" or "Song Edited" What about a re-direct on
> that page after a few seconds that would take you to the newly
> created/edited song?
>

>
> Post Edited (05-21-05 11:31)

I will take a look at that and see if it is possible for me to setup.

Posted by: bayan57 (200.48.114.---)
Date: May 25, 2005 11:16PM

Just two suggestions. Maybe people could send in midis of any song on here, so the midi database can grow.

Another idea I've been working on has been making a Tab database file for PDAs. I have on i made for myself of some random tabs, but it's not very formatted. Maybe somebody with more experience can develope it.

Date: May 26, 2005 01:57AM

That is on my to do list

Posted by: ORION (---.megared.net.mx)
Date: May 26, 2005 06:05AM

it will be cool know about the other users by clicking the nickname maybe the mail, profession, pastimes something like that?

Date: May 26, 2005 04:48PM

ORION wrote:

> it will be cool know about the other users by clicking the
> nickname maybe the mail, profession, pastimes something like
> that?

I wanted to be very limited on what data on each person is shared without their control. I can add that to my growing list of website changes to be made lol.

Date: May 27, 2005 12:35PM

I'm all for having spots where we can enter in information about ourselves, but I think it should all be optional. And there should also be the option to keep e-mail addresses private, if desired.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.