HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Song key or which harp to use.
Posted by: railjumper (172.7.230.---)
Date: January 13, 2015 02:26AM

When a tab is posted it has a place for "Key". Should the key of the song be put there or the key of the harp to use to get the correct key of the song? Also in the drop down there are no minors. If the song is in Em what should be put in for key.

I posted a song that is in Em. Since there was no minor drop down I left it as "ANY". At the beginning of the song I put "Song is in Em on a D harp".

If a song is tabbed on a minor harp, what would be the proper way to list it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Song key or which harp to use.
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2015 09:21AM

"Key" denotes the key of the harp.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (107.203.62.---)
Date: January 14, 2015 02:10AM

Maybe this falls under the heading of "My Bad!" but most of the tabs I've posted (except for some of the very first ones I ever tried doing), under the "Key" box I would put the key the song is actually in. Then, under the Tab Notations (I know, my own thing....) I put what type/key of harp I wrote the tab for. I'm a simple gal, so most of my diatonic tabs are written in first position, which is also the key of harp to use. But for chromatics, I'll be specific about what type of chromatic to use (16 hole, 12 hole, solo tuned, Orchestra tuned, and I think once I tried making a tab for a Key of G Chromatic.)

Posted by: WaltP (96.238.106.---)
Date: January 14, 2015 03:51AM

Same with me for diatonic and chromatic songs. The key is the key of the song as I've found it written on the sheet music. Anything other than first position for diatonics, I'll include the harp key for that position to bring it to the key of the written sheet music.

Posted by: ,,, (24.209.152.---)
Date: January 14, 2015 08:24PM

I do it Gene's way, but as long as it's clear to the reader what key harp they're supposed to be using, you've done it right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.