HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Pissing contest hilarity: being recorded for posterity
Posted by: ,,, (54.211.73.---)
Date: March 03, 2014 01:14AM

This was on the front page not long ago

One guy posts wrecking ball, another posts a different version, and yet another guy posts a different version. All within less than a day of each other. Crazy, right?

But this wasn't where it started. Budabot actually posted second, calling his "Higher pitch." but after Joe posted and declared his accurate, Buda deleted his old one and reposted under the new name "Most accurate." It was then that I knew I was witnessing magic. I grabbed the screen capture, then grabbed a bowl of popcorn to watch the show unfold. Sure enough, this is how the front page looks now:

I will keep an eye on this and update as it happens so we can continue to laugh at this. How long do you think it'll go before someone uses the phrase "times infinity?" Taking bets now!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pissing contest hilarity: being recorded for posterity
Posted by: ,,, (54.82.26.---)
Date: March 03, 2014 04:56AM

First update:

Joe has abandoned the accuracy approach for another one. Let's see how this continues to develop!

A little added hidden humor: unlike the first guy to post, neither of the guys in the pissing contest who claim to be the most accurate have actually bothered to specify what kind of harp the tab is for.

And an off-topic question that brings up: why is "any" even an option? It's never true that a tab is the same on "any" harp, right? Wouldn't it make more sense to have "other" as an option rather than "any"?

Anyway, back to the show!

Posted by: ,,, (54.82.25.---)
Date: March 03, 2014 04:59AM

Update 1:

Joe has abandoned the accuracy approach for another one now. Let's see how that works out.

Some hidden humor to it: unlike the first guy to post-- who has stayed out of this so far-- neither of the guys fighting over whose tab is more accurate bothered to specify what kind of harp it's tabbed for.

Off topic question that brings up: why is "any" even an option? It's not actually possibly for a tab to sound right no matter what kind of harp it's on, right? Why isn't "other" an option instead of "any"?

Anyway, back to the show!

Posted by: ,,, (54.81.162.---)
Date: March 03, 2014 09:00PM

Update 2:

Now names are being named! Escalation, baby!

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2014 01:33AM

And the winner is:

NOBODY!!

I see three versions, and they're ALL wrong. grinning smiley

I downloaded a midi version of that song into Harmony Assistant, and let that program tab it. The melodies are wrong. Also, the song is in the key of F. It's full of B flats. The B flats on the center line of the musical staff can't be played on a C diatonic (which these tabs are for) unless, I guess you can do overdraws or overblows. It can be tabbed (in the right key) for an F harp. If tabbed in the lower end of the harp, you'd have a million -2', -2", -3' and -3". If your not comfortable with all those bend, it could be tabbed for the high end where you would have all the notes available without bends. But then, you may not like the high pitch. So, it could be tabbed for the high end of an F harp and played on a low F harp.

As for the pissing contest, heck, I dunno. Since two of them wanna piss, let 'em piss. grinning smiley Should I join in? ... ... nah.

I had a great idea ('xeptin' it may not work due to the possibility of some cheatin' goin' on)! Whoever gets it right FIRST gets to keep their's up; the rest gets deleted. Hmmm... That would be opening a can of worms we don't want to open. Never mind.

Posted by: yukon (23.22.190.---)
Date: March 05, 2014 09:12AM

Ok I got my drink and popcorn waiting to see what happens next. I thought about joining in and posting my own version of the song, I thought maybe I could put in the wrong lryics with the wrong notes and title it something like " Wrecking Ball the most inaccurate version that was ever created and even though it is not anything like the original song you should click only on my tab and learn to play it the way I think it should of been done in the first place." Then I realized that the title is to long and would not properly show in the heading so I think I will just watch and not join in.

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2014 06:48PM

At least the TITLE would be accurate!! grinning smiley

Posted by: harmusman (80.44.163.---)
Date: November 22, 2014 01:11PM

Hi I have come back in here after long absence to find that people are complicating a simple Harmonica instrument and tabbing. As for the p.....g contest I will not get involved I do not know the song and as for Miley Cyrus she could wreck any mans b...s

Will make a comment on the "off topic question"

The "any" refers to the key of a song,

The "Harp Type is a ref; to Diatonic or Chromatic

It is well known, or should be by now on here, that these single note tabs can be played as written on any Diatonic in the key range, no matter if the compiler/tabber says it is key a,or c or any of the variations, this of course when the player is playing with himself, and not any other player (wrecking his own b...s ???winking smiley

At those times you would all have to play in the same key.

For chromatic tabbing this has further symbols and you can play with this in several keys even if it is a harp modulated as a C

You cant play diatonic tabb on a chromatic harp or vice versa.

Posted by: ,,, (104.139.196.---)
Date: November 23, 2014 09:31PM

harmusman Wrote:

> The "any" refers to the key of a song,
>
> The "Harp Type is a ref; to Diatonic or Chromatic
>
> It is well known, or should be by now on here,
> that these single note tabs can be played as
> written on any Diatonic in the key range, no
> matter if the compiler/tabber says it is key a,or
> c or any of the variations, this of course when
> the player is playing with himself, and not any
> other player (wrecking his own b...s ???winking smiley

"Any" is an option for harp type as well as key. "Type" is what I was asking about, because again, there's no song that can be played the same way on "any" type of harp.

As for "any" key, although that wasn't relevant to what I asked, that one bothers me too. Yes, obviously I know that I can play a song unacompanied with any key and it'll sound about right. But I have 9 different keys, and I see nothing wrong with wanting to use the correct key to play the song as accurately as possible. So I hate it when a tabber decides for me that I just don't need to know which of my keys to be using because they're "all good enough."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 09:32PM by ,,,.

Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2014 02:49PM

Any is on there because I use the same code on the search page and originally didn't allow any to be searched. Once people wanted to search for any I added it to the list and then it popped up in there.

Date: November 26, 2014 05:38PM

,,, sorry but I can't see what the difficulty is, in making statements it seems one has to, "dot all the i's and cross all the t's to be understood, and that can lead to a long long answer.

I will try again, Harmonica "type" there are Diatonics, Chromatics, and also Tremelo type. lets not go into orchestral. just stay with these three. Or better still just two, Diatonic and Chromatic. and type does not refer to make, ie Bluesband, Big River harp, or whatever romantic name manufacturers want to give them.

The diatonic. ten holes draw and blow on each. for melody you play single notes
Diatonic is a type as you say, and as I did, you can play alone by yourself any tabbed song given hole numbers between 1 to 10

The tabber should notify if his tabb is for Diatonic or other, not just leave the word "ANY" up in his titeling.

As for the key sig. here the tabber could be telling you he has tabbed from a certain sheet music print that has been in say C

Dotting i's and crossing t's now. Yes I know you can play key G on a C keyed harp and other variable as A to E

and that one can trancribe one key to another

Chromatic players would have to make adjustments to a Diatonic Tabb in order to play that tabb on their Chromatic in most cases. so maybe it would be good if tabbers were to put up both diatonic and chromatic tabbs to the songs they tabb then it would all not be left to just WaltP to satisfy the needs of Chromatic players. Nuff Said

Posted by: ,,, (104.139.196.---)
Date: November 27, 2014 05:29AM

harmusman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ,,, sorry but I can't see what the difficulty is,
> in making statements it seems one has to, "dot all
> the i's and cross all the t's to be understood,
> and that can lead to a long long answer.
>
> I will try again, Harmonica "type" there are
> Diatonics, Chromatics, and also Tremelo type. lets
> not go into orchestral. just stay with these
> three. Or better still just two, Diatonic and
> Chromatic. and type does not refer to make, ie
> Bluesband, Big River harp, or whatever romantic
> name manufacturers want to give them.
>
> The diatonic. ten holes draw and blow on each. for
> melody you play single notes
> Diatonic is a type as you say, and as I did, you
> can play alone by yourself any tabbed song given
> hole numbers between 1 to 10
>
> The tabber should notify if his tabb is for
> Diatonic or other, not just leave the word "ANY"
> up in his titeling.
>
> As for the key sig. here the tabber could be
> telling you he has tabbed from a certain sheet
> music print that has been in say C
>
> Dotting i's and crossing t's now. Yes I know you
> can play key G on a C keyed harp and other
> variable as A to E
>
> and that one can trancribe one key to another
>
> Chromatic players would have to make adjustments
> to a Diatonic Tabb in order to play that tabb on
> their Chromatic in most cases. so maybe it would
> be good if tabbers were to put up both diatonic
> and chromatic tabbs to the songs they tabb then it
> would all not be left to just WaltP to satisfy the
> needs of Chromatic players. Nuff Said

Harmusman-- I mean no offense when I ask this, but is English your first language? Again, not trying to be insulting, I'm just thinking maybe that's why you're not understanding me.

I know perfectly well about diatonics, chromatics, etc. My question-- which Nick gave a perfectly reasonable answer to, thanks Nick-- was why "any" is an option for type when posting a tab. Because like you said-- "The tabber should notify if his tabb is for Diatonic or other, not just leave the word "ANY" up in his titeling." Well, the reason I asked is because some people DO leave it as "any" so I was wondering why even give people a chance to make that mistake?

I know what type means, I know what keys are, I know how all of that works. I didn't post 273 tabs (and counting, hopefully) while being foggy on those subjects. I was simply asking why it is possible to post a tab and select "any" as the type (not key) of harp it should be played on. And again, Nick's answer made sense.

I appreciate that you're trying to be informative and thank you for that, but you're misunderstanding something fundamental about what the topic was. It's ok, but... if nothing else, if you still don't get it, just rest assured that Nick covered it, lol.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (107.203.62.---)
Date: November 28, 2014 06:13AM

For what it's worth, I've chosen "Any" in the type of instrument used in a few of my tabs, specifically the tabs for (ahem, even though we weren't going to get into them, guess I'll broach the subject anyway...) "ORCHESTRA" tuned harps that will work for both Orchestra tuned chromatics as well as Orchestra tuned diatonics (and 14 hole chromatics - but that's a whole other can of worms...).

If I had the option of "ORCHESTRA" to pick from I'd probably choose that option. (Hint! Hint!grinning smiley)

As far as stating the key of harp, well, that's because I like to play along with the video (or radio, or CD, or MP3, or whatever the case may be) and to play along with the music, I need to know which key to use. Yes, the diatonic tabs usually work well with any key, but if you're like me, and you want to "play along with", having the right key helps.

Date: November 28, 2014 06:06PM

,,, I am aiming anything I said to a wider audience than yourself and yes you have tabbed a great number of songs This is a forum and everyone can come in on this. For yourself, sure you know it all. I just picked up on your question within a subject "any" and was trying to let others know they could play Diatonic Tabb on any Diatonic they choose to pick up.

When going onto "Type" there are some who think "make" is type. I am not suggesting that you don't know this in answering your question.

I do speak English as a first language. Maybe, we are, as Oscar Wilde once said, "Divided by a common language" and that is why you don't understand my vernacular.

I was also trying to add a bit of humour as you were. I think I will go back and withdraw from all this and just leave it to the webmaster.

Posted by: Turkey_Man (98.24.38.---)
Date: November 28, 2014 10:07PM

When I first started on the site, I often didn't play songs because I didn't have the right harmonica. I use "any", because I want people to play the song. If you are good enough to know the key, I'm sure you will play the right harmonica. Also when I came across a note That didn't sound right or a run I wasn't capable of playing, I took out my pencil and changed it. One of my favorite songs is "Lately" by Tin Man. My version is not like he tabbed it, but I'm thankful that he pointed me in the right direction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.