HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Voting
Posted by: dezzy (202.136.97.---)
Date: October 20, 2013 08:57AM

Hi! I've been reading about song TABs put on and not getting strikes. I don't know about the voting as I've just joined. When do you get a strike? when it is read or when it is voted. Does it become a competition or recognition for your work. When should we vote ? when we like it or when we are just saying thanks ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Voting
Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: October 21, 2013 07:50AM

By saying strikes, I am assuming that you are refering to views, the other things are ratings and points, views and ratings refer to tabs and points are what you get. Everytime one of the tabs is clicked on it is credited with a view and if you are logged in and click on a tab then you can click on vote to rate the tab (1 to 5 stars,something most people don't do which is why many tabs are not rated) which will show the tabber what ratings their tab received. You get your points when you tab a song, when a tab you created is viewed or when you post to the forum ( I forget how many points for each of those, I am sure someone else can tell you that) The points you receive give you different levels (I believe they are newbie, beginner, contributor, large contributor, heavy contributor, super contributor, and uber contributor). As far as I go your points should be thought of as first a recognition for your work, but at the same time it can become a compitition as you will probably desire to have you name show in the top 15 contributors, if tabbing just always do your best job to have lyrics (sometimes there are none though) with your tabs with the numbers lined up with the lyrics, and if tabbing from sheet music be accurate (and don't be afraid to ask for help if needed and and be willing to accept any good advise or construtive critisism). As far as when to vote, the only vote that I am aware of is the ratings vote and that can be done on any tab that you view, and if you really like the tab and play it alot then put it on your favorites.

The part you said about a tab not getting any strikes probably refers to when someone posts a tab of what is or they think is a popular song that many people would like and it gets very little views and even fewer or none under the favorites, I don't think anyone can explain why that happens it just does, I know I have tabbed some songs like that where I have thought that it would get a large amount of views and ended up taking months to get even 100 views, and then there are tabs that get many views that you may look at and wonder why.

Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2013 05:36PM

voting was put in as a way for people to rate tabs which were good but it never really caught on.

The point system is designed to encourage people to contribute, but to contribute positively. You get points for every posting in the forum and tab posting. You also get bonus points if your tab is popular. This means if you post 1,000 tabs of junk, you won't get as many points as someone who posts one really good popular tab.

There is nothing on the site which will reflect negatively on you or your tabs. That is one reason I have not wanted tab comments... I would be concerned that people would just post negative things.

Posted by: ,,, (24.209.131.---)
Date: October 21, 2013 08:37PM

djlactose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
This means if you post 1,000 tabs of
> junk, you won't get as many points as someone who
> posts one really good popular tab.

To be fair, if artists like the Smiths, the Mars Volta, and the Postal Service aren't popular here, it doesn't mean the tabs are junk, it just means the tabber may have better taste than the average site user =o

(hehe, sorry. Couldn't resist)

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.181.---)
Date: October 21, 2013 10:00PM

LOL!

Nah... we're just... eclectic! Yeah, that's it. Eclectic! grinning smiley

Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: October 22, 2013 01:06PM

,,, Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> djlactose Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> This means if you post 1,000 tabs of
> > junk, you won't get as many points as someone
> who
> > posts one really good popular tab.
>
> To be fair, if artists like the Smiths, the Mars
> Volta, and the Postal Service aren't popular here,
> it doesn't mean the tabs are junk, it just means
> the tabber may have better taste than the average
> site user =o
>
> (hehe, sorry. Couldn't resist)

Ok that is very true smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.