HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
First try to submit a TAB
Posted by: dezzy (182.239.179.---)
Date: September 29, 2013 10:00AM

I tried to TAB Green Eyes Eb for Chromatic. I had it on Word and figured out how to get on the small screen--Eventually. But made a blunder at first and put on a blank one. There is no forgiving for errors. Anyway my second attempt went on but under Gren Eyes. So now I know the way I might try some more.
I am trying to TAB with an indication of the rhythm as there a hundreds of TABs I don't know the song so can't really play them. I think showing the quick notes and the long notes would go a long way towards making the song playable. What doe's anyone think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First try to submit a TAB
Posted by: ,,, (24.209.131.---)
Date: September 29, 2013 04:58PM

If you go back into your song while logged in, there should be an option along the top to delete it.

As for the next thing you said, tab however you want. There are different schools of thought as to how to write them out. Personally, I think adding anything more than symbols for draws and bends just makes a tab hard to follow. And besides, why would someone want to play a tab if they don't know the song anyway? If for some reason someone really wants to play something they've never heard because... the title is interesting? idk. Well, if it happens, it's really not too much to ask that the person go to youtube and listen to the song first.

But that's me. If adding extra stuff makes you happy, do it.

Posted by: WaltP (96.238.108.---)
Date: September 29, 2013 10:31PM

I believe a lot of people play tabs to songs they don't know. I've been tabbing lots of folk songs that I'm sure most people don't know yet they get hits. I know that I play songs I don't know, especially if the tabs have words. First I just speak the words to make it sound like a sentence and that gives me a beginning to playing the song. I don't worry too much about the "correct" way to play the song, I'd rather play it "my" way.

Posted by: ,,, (24.209.131.---)
Date: September 30, 2013 02:37AM

I think you get views because you're Walt. I tab songs and groups that people should know and no one looks. The Postal Service's "Brand New Colony" and "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight" both have less than 150 views each. OK, the Postal Service may not be super well known (despite being critically adored), but less than 150? C'mon guys!

I guess I can understand playing something you don't know once or twice, but as many songs as we have here you can stick to what you like and never be bored. I still say if you want to play something you don't know, you can either be like Walt and be happy playing however you want, or you can take the 4 minutes to listen to the song once. It shouldn't be on the tabber to do the extra work, and in the process clutter up the tab so it's hard to follow even by people who do know the song.

For my part, the difference in timing between seeing a symbol and knowing any symbol=draw, and seeing a symbol but then having to distinguish one from another and remember which means which, makes the difference between a playable tab, and one I have to redo myself in word just so I can follow it while playing at the proper speed.

But again, however the tabber wants to do it is how the tabber should do it.

Posted by: dezzy (182.239.179.---)
Date: October 04, 2013 10:48AM

Thanks fellows, but I don't think TABs are for playing from. I think they are for learning the song, then we memorize it to play it. Once the tune is in our head we should be able to harp it out.
A far as for wanting to learn a song I don't know , there are so many songs here that some would be great to know especially since some of you have put in the effort to TAB them. And with so many I bet they are not all on youtube. Yes I think I'll follow Walt and play them as I want, who knows that might even improve the tune.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.181.---)
Date: October 04, 2013 05:39PM

Desmond, I think I understand what you're trying to accomplish as far as trying to put some "timing" into your tabs. Tabs are great if you already know how the song goes, but if you don't know the song.... Well, let's just say one can come close, but that's about it. A tab just can't hold a candle to all the nuances of written music (as far as type of note - whole note, half note, quarter note, eighth note, sixteenth note, etc., and all the different type of rests, and verious symbols of how the music is to be played, etc..) I've tried to do the same, and in a few ballads I've come "kinda close", but I can't differentiate on a tab, for example, the difference between an eighth note and a dotted eighth note. So, I do the best I can and try to always include a link to the actual song (next to the "Audio" heading), so in case you don't know it, it's available for listening.

As far as what songs take off and are big hits, verses those songs that just seem to languish on views, there's no telling. Like Mr. X said, he's posted several songs that he was sure would be great hits, and yet, to date, they have only a few hundred views. I understand where he's coming from, too. I've posted more than a few songs that I thought for sure would get, at the very least, a hundred views the first 24 hours after posting but some've been up for over eight months now and are yet to reach 500 views. Still others, that I thought probably wouldn't get viewed much, took off like a lighting bolt and are still going strong. I don't get it either.

To fix one of your tabs or remove one of your tabs once you've posted it:
First you must log in. Once logged in, go to your tab that you want to work on, and across the very top of the tab you'll see multiple options starting with "Add to Favorites", then "Post File", then "Print", etc., with next to last is "Edit this song", and the last is "Delete Song". If a song is just so FUBARed you can't fix it, just hit "Delete Song" and start over again (that way, you wount have to misspell the name of the song to get it to post).

Okay, I think I covered everything.... Hope this at least helps.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 03:08PM by EarthDogHarpin.

Date: October 04, 2013 11:19PM

Steve, I went and took a look at your PDF and I need to warn you: you may be tredding in a dangerous legal minefield that could put not only you, but our webmaster and this whole site in jeopardy. Although what you're doing will get the job done as far as timing goes, it will also get you and Nick and this site in mega hot water legally due to infringment of copywrite laws and because you actaually are posting actual music.

I don't know what the copywrite laws are in New Zealand, but here in the U.S. Title 17 of the U.S. Code states that a work is automatically under copyright protection from the moment of creation.... Registering a composition provides public notification of copyright and allows the copyright owner to demand damages and attorney's fees if his copyright is infringed. If you use a song under copyright protection without the owner's permission, you are opening yourself to possible legal action.

Using this site to disseminate the actual music via PDF could result in not only the shutdown of this site, but Federal criminal charges being filed against our Webmaster Nick (and you if you were residing in the U.S.) that could result in heavy fines, penalties, and prison time. This is not a joke and is a very serious matter.

PLEASE! For everyone's sake, please do NOT post the actual music (as in notes on staff paper with accompanying musical notations) as that definiteltly does fall under Title 17 of the U.S. Code.

A tab does not fall under this umbrella because a tab has no timing whereas the actual sheetmusic does.

Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: October 06, 2013 04:40PM

I have removed the files to prevent violation of copyright laws.

Date: October 07, 2013 09:44PM

Sheet music has been held up in United States Federal Court as copyrighted materials which can not be posted without the approval of the original composer. Both recreated sheet music and modified sheet music has been deemed a violation of this law.

Several guitar tab sites have been shutdown for this which is why the files were removed. This isn't anything personal, just trying to protect the site and you from legal issues.

Date: October 07, 2013 11:20PM

Steve, there's no need to leave the site. I'm sure you didn't do it with malice aforethought, and you may not have even known. The "offending files" have been removed. So you're safe now, Webmaster Nick is safe now, and the site is safe now. It's all good.

Please reconsider. Don't leave.

Posted by: WaltP (96.238.107.---)
Date: October 08, 2013 12:41PM

I hope you reconsider too. I would love nothing more than to have sheet music available for free, but...

Date: October 08, 2013 07:40PM

Overblow is gone, he had me delete his account today.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.