HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
is it possible
Posted by: harmusman (82.44.234.---)
Date: February 24, 2013 11:36AM

Webmaster Nick and Moderator Gene.
A new member is apparently going great guns in producing self penned music tabbs in a frenzy of musical invention that I find hard to believe eg On 23 Feb 2013 at 21hrs 56mins he loaded a piece onto site that by 11.15 on 24th feb had actually racked up 97 user favoured hits.
I don't want to stifle this talent in the young man but this is getting ridiculous "the integrity of this site is under attack" if it goes on he will be knocking WaltP and Mr Purintum of their hard earned positions

Gene I have further seen that you have at length spoken by the Harptabs forum to this young man and so something may come out of it I myself privately messaged him by account page as yet no reply.

There still remains that favoured hit list of 97 in a few hours for "Rain in the Sky". Has he got all his schoolmates to rack him up. Some of those who favoured him were created members in 2008 and they are still as newbie members.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 10:10AM by harmusman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is it possible
Posted by: 03lindsi (86.135.178.---)
Date: February 24, 2013 12:17PM

If I may add, I also privately messaged said new member and it also appears to be of no avail and had no subsequent reply. This message was sent before Genes' very generous kind offer to the new member so maybe we should see what he replies to that......

Posted by: ,,, (24.209.131.---)
Date: February 24, 2013 05:20PM

Yeah, I'm confused about that too. How is that happening? Most of the favoriters created their accounts in 2008 like Harmusman said. But check this out,

[www.harptabs.com]

2012-04-25 09:04:26

That's the last log-in date of the first profile I clicked on. How could he have fav'd that tab without being logged in? Also, when I check the profile I don't see that tab in the favorite list either. But somehow he's listed as having fav'd the "song" Speed.

My first guess was like harmusman said, that he'd gotten a bunch of people to sign up, then I saw how far back the accounts were created. Then I thought he messaged a bunch of people begging for favorites, but then I saw the last log-in dates. So now all I can think is he's hacking the site somehow... hopefully there's a reasonable explanation I'm just not seeing...

Oh, and the "favorite count" for these songs says zero, despite having a ton of people listed...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2013 05:24PM by ,,,.

Date: February 25, 2013 02:55AM

ok, um.... I just looked at all the people who "fav'd" his latest, "Singin' and dancein'" [sic].... here's a curious thing...

None of them have a last log-in date earlier than 4/25/2012. And I don't mean that's the earliest, i mean at least half a dozen of them supposedly logged in last on that exact day. Same goes for all the other favoriters. Some of them have logged in since, but most of them say 4/25/2012, that exact day.

I have no idea what that /means/, maybe you will, Nick. All I know is there's something very off about this.

Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: February 25, 2013 09:28AM

It is not looking to good right now for him at this point, but I guess we have to wait and see how he responds to Gene's offer and what Nick comes up with for an answer to how he can have 97 favorites but of the ones I checked none of them have that tab on their favorite list, and the favorite count shows 0. If I was interested in writing my own tabs I would sure take Gene up on that offer. I am still giving him some hope, as it could by some strange coincidence be a systems malfunction, but my doubt and suspicions in this are getting very high.

Posted by: 03lindsi (138.37.7.---)
Date: February 25, 2013 11:26AM

Well he posted up his most recent tab (singin' and dancein') after Gene started the tuition with the basics of music (timings/rhythm) in the lessons section of the forum.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.182.---)
Date: February 25, 2013 04:04PM

So far all this particuler member has done is placate people with "okay's" and "I will's". He/she does not then do the thing he/she said he/she would do.

Everyone has been open minded about this person. We have tried to educate him/her about what a tab is . The webmaster has even explained to him/her about what a tab is. I personally have tried to explain to him/her about real music writing and notation. Yet this individual is still posting "busy-work pictures" of various notes on a line of notebook paper with haphazard measures. Putting a picture up does NOT make a piece "published", nor does it make it "music".

Either take his "tabs" and "pieces" down as they are not tabs, or allow the other 27,864 members to post "tabs" to imaginary and unpublished music/songs the same as he/she is being allowed to do.

I am beginning to think this particular member is "playing us".

Date: February 25, 2013 09:57PM

I agree with Deb-- I can sit here mashing my numberpad all day too.

but I'm more worried about the very real possibility that he's somehow hacking the site, can that be checked into, please? Because if he's doing that then he just needs an outright ban, I don't care how young and enthusiastic he is.

Date: February 25, 2013 11:16PM

"Playing us" that's a nice description and I too have had a feeling that this person member has a little more music knowledge when it comes to writing it down.
I have said it before I just don't cotton on to the mindset of people who set out to wind people up. Reminds me of another a while back, the feline catwoman.

Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2013 02:18AM

Ok started a new job today so I was not around till the evening so let me fill everyone in.

First off no one was doing any hacking of the website. The song page had a bug in it causing the wrong tab's favorite list to be displayed when someone posted an attachment to the tab. I have fixed that bug which is now causing the favorites to display properly for nicky's tabs.

As for the tab posts, nicky has been given amble chances to change his methods and I had already deleted a batch of tabs in the past posted by nicky. At this point I am not going to continue to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I have added a new report option for tabs which are not real songs. As the tabs are reported Gene and I will clean them out. I will also send another message to nicky telling him what is happening. If he continues I will ban his account.

Date: February 26, 2013 07:14AM

Seems like job done, we can all relax now. Thanks Webmaster.

Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: February 26, 2013 09:38AM

As always, we can count on Nick. Overblow is right at least this has livened up the forum for now.

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2013 03:51PM

I'm leaving one of them ("Rain in the Sky"winking smiley up for now.

Nicky:
We'll use that tab to work with, if ya wanna.

Date: March 01, 2013 10:19AM

As I said in my opening subject of this thread "The integrity of this site is under attack" and it has happened, I, at first glance, cannot now believe all that I read, and am having to sort fact from fiction. How long before we all get p...ed of with it, and give the site the click no button.

Date: March 01, 2013 08:26PM

Be calm, I'm sure Nick will ban him soon enough. I get frustrated sometimes too, but I guess I can't complain that the people on this site want to give the benefit of the doubt and try to avoid hurting young peoples' enthusiasm way longer than I would put up with them (catwomen, nicky/gogo). It's not like this is a common occurrence anyway.

I definitely wouldn't post any tabs until he's banned though, I don't need the real tabs I post to be spammed right off the newest tab list on the front page by a petulant child posting and reposting junk gibberish over and over. So until then just grab some popcorn and join in the fun of mockery. If you just go with it it's pretty amusing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.