HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Example music to accompany tabs
Posted by: davemacdon (95.148.218.---)
Date: September 08, 2012 09:47AM

I have recently joined this great site and forum. I am amazed by the amount of music here.
As there was a section asking for what we would like to see, here is my suggestion/request.
Is there any way that a link to hear the music displayed should sound so that us beginners can listen and try to copy/aim for what we hear it should sound like.
Obviously this will require you expert guys out there recording and posting music.

Hope this is a constructive suggestion and can be considered.

Thanks,

Dave.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Example music to accompany tabs
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2012 06:22PM

There is a place for that in the tabs, but not many people tabbing use it. The place is above the tab where it says "Midi." (That should be changed.) A link to a file goes there. I usually put a link to You Tube there, but those videos don't stay on You Tube forever, so there's a bunch of dead links.

We can't upload sound files to this sight because of copyright laws. You might try looking for the song on You Tube or wherever you can. You can have the song in one window and the tab in another.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.181.---)
Date: September 09, 2012 05:34AM

I always try to find a good quality youtube video and put it in the "Midi" link for the tabs I post. It appears as a link in the middle of the right hand column of information about the tab. But like Gene said, sometimes those videos get taken down (for whatever reason) and then there's just a dead link. On rare occasion I'll go through my old tabs and double check those links to see if they're still good. If I find any that are dead, I find another suitable youtube video and edit the tab so that it'll have the new youtube link.

Edited to add: If anyone finds a dead link in one of my tabs, feel free to drop me a pm indicating which tab it is so I can fix it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 03:02PM by EarthDogHarpin.

Posted by: davemacdon (95.149.4.---)
Date: September 10, 2012 09:29AM

Thank you for the updates. I hadn't thought about the copyright problems, and do understand how that would be frowned upon. I will keep you tube open as suggested and try and play along with the expert on there, stop, rewind, rewind some more etc etc. lol.
Lots of practice!!

Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2012 01:36PM

If someone records themselves playing that is acceptable since they are the copyright holder then... but other then that it can be a copyright issue. In fact in some countries just linking to copyrighted information can get you in trouble.

Also this site is pretty old so when the site was created midi was really the only other popular option besides WAV/MP3 and I wanted to stay away from MP3 for the copyright reasons so I did the midi link... That being said I can change that to say something else now... I am just not sure what to change it to.

Date: September 10, 2012 04:28PM

"Audio"

Date: September 10, 2012 08:44PM

I can change it to audio but then I was thinking a youtube video isn't really audio.. so I was thinking sample but that isn't very descriptive then I was thinking maybe I am just overthinking it and audio would be fine... So whatever everyone else thinks I will change it to.

Date: September 10, 2012 09:28PM

"Example"?

Does it have to be a single word? If not, what about "Hear it"?

Thinking....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 09:33PM by EarthDogHarpin.

Date: September 10, 2012 10:32PM

Audio would be the purpose of YouTube, even if it does come with video attached.

Also, could you make that link open in a new window? This would allow the viewer to stop and playback the audio while viewing the tab. That would be more convenient than opening a new window ourselves.

Oh, while I'm at it:
Could the "View associated files" button be moved to a more visible place?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 10:35PM by gene.

Date: September 11, 2012 12:30AM

gene Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, could you make that link open in a new
> window? This would allow the viewer to stop and
> playback the audio while viewing the tab.

I second that!

Date: September 11, 2012 06:00PM

I thought the link already did lol... I will fix that.

Date: September 11, 2012 06:04PM

I fixed that and changed it to audio.

Date: September 11, 2012 07:10PM

smiling smiley thumbs up

Date: September 11, 2012 07:25PM

I just tried it. It opens in a new tab rather than a new window. That means I still can't see both pages at the same time.

Date: September 11, 2012 08:32PM

The opening in a new tab or a new window is controlled by the browser, I can't force it to handle the load differently.

Date: September 12, 2012 01:22AM

Oh, well. No big deal. I've been opening new windows (both browser and applications) manually since I've had a computer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2012 01:22AM by gene.

Date: September 13, 2012 01:22PM

If you hold the shift key when clicking it will open the page in a new window. If you hold control it will open the page in a new tab.

Date: September 13, 2012 04:29PM

Well, how 'bout that?! It works!! That's a neat trick!
(I'm using the Iron browser, which is a stripped-down version of Google Chrome.)

Posted by: gatman (98.160.231.---)
Date: September 13, 2012 08:06PM

Who would've known that a computer could have so many hidden secrets?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.