HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Reporting Tabs
Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: April 13, 2012 05:00PM

Ever tab now has a link to report it for several reasons. Once you click the link you will be brought to a form which will ask you to give the reason you are reporting it and a box to enter more information about the report.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reporting Tabs
Posted by: ,,, (24.209.131.---)
Date: April 13, 2012 07:16PM

I'm a little concerned by how quickly a tab disappears after I report it-- this isn't set up to happen automatically, is it? Or are you just that fast?

I'm hoping you actually check and confirm before deleting. I wouldn't want people not understanding that the same song posted more than once might /not/ be an exact duplicate, or thinking that any songs with swears are "offensive" and being able to automatically take those out with no moderation.

Date: April 13, 2012 07:31PM

LOL I am on the site taking them down as you post them. They are quite clearly stolen... Some of them were highlighted on the website and when she copied them she brought over the highlighting as well.

Date: April 13, 2012 07:36PM

i wanted to make sure I stay on top of it too since I know there are going to be a lot of reports no that there is this ability.

Posted by: harmusman (82.44.234.---)
Date: April 13, 2012 11:15PM

Webmaster Nick CJD as usual I am coming in on this discusion not quite knowing all the facts I can only surmise, we are talking about a certain feline character who has of late been adding tabbs at a rate far greater than mere mortals can tabb, (that is everyone but Waltp.) I have been in contact with this person and believe she (if her account details can be believed) is a young enthusiast. I have asked just how she is being so phenominal in her contribution, no reply yet. but looking at her account it is now clear of tabbs., so have you stripped her of everything? I think that she may have got a little overexcited in her enthusiasm for the harp of distinction and not knowing how things are expected to be done on this site. I don't think we should stifle such enthusiasm in one so young so I am asking will she not have any chance of appeal to the accusation of stealing tabbs from wherever and couldn't we help to redeem herself in being a contributing member to this wonderfull Harp site. Maybe the website could lead her to the righteous path of Tabbing. I for one have told her where to get some easily understandable tabb rulers with instructions, for which she thanked me Yours.....

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: April 14, 2012 04:10AM

After speaking with her, and after flip-flopping a few times in my mind, I'm willing to agree she deserves the benefit of the doubt. I also agree with Harmusman's observations about her enthusiasm & ignorance of how things work.

Nick,
have you communicated with her?

Never mind. I found your other post on the topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2012 04:17AM by gene.

Date: April 14, 2012 10:36AM

nick and all. Further contact with the feline leads me to believe we are dealing with a manipulator, timewaster, and my earlier sympathies were mistaken. You're correct in taking it down. Well it was fun while it lasted!

Posted by: meanon (92.107.180.---)
Date: April 14, 2012 11:29AM

I'm pleased that this matter appears now to be drawing to close. One lesson learnt is that such things (which are thankfully very rare) should be dealt with quickly before they blow up.

Incidentally, I did think it odd that someone who gives the age of 14 in their profile should include works by the likes of Leonard Cohen, Hank Williams and Bob Dylan in their repertoire. Not that there is anything wrong with these artists or their works, it is simply that it is unusual for someone so young to have an interest in such dirges.

Date: April 14, 2012 12:45PM

The reports which were filed included a link to the original tab and they were quite clearly cut and pasted without any modification... the highlighting, bold, font size, upper and lower case, formatting and of course exact wording on the other websites appearing on the tab exactly. Tabs came from at least three other websites which each had their own tabbing styles. Once we went through half of them not finding anything original I just deleted them all.

While the "investigation" was taking place she was banned from the site so she could not add more tabs. Once we finished and removed the tabs I sent her a message telling her what happened and invited her to continue to use the site but not to post content from other people unless she receives permission. At that point I unbanned her and considered the issue closed.

In the future I plan to handle things the exact same way since it seems to work well. Now that the reporting system is complete please feel free to report other tabs you come across... because I am pretty sure other people have done the same thing but just have not been caught.

Date: April 14, 2012 04:31PM

Well done Nick, you got it right, thumbs up I have to admit I got sucked in. Just can't understand the mind set of these people eye rolling smiley

Date: April 15, 2012 11:28AM

Forum discussion swerve here. Meanon, you apply the tagg word "Dirges" to Cohen, Dylan, and Williams, I don't think so, more like stories needing a deeper thinking. Lets say, 20th/21st century musical folk tales. They may not be applicable to playing on the harmonica as a melodious tune but they can nevertheless be interesting.

Re: Leonard Cohen, Hank Williams Sr., Bob Dylan etc.
Posted by: meanon (92.107.180.---)
Date: April 15, 2012 09:01PM

May be the term "dirges" is a bit harsh but I used it to contrast it with the happy, bubbly music you might asscociate a young teenager. Myself, I enjoy this music, appreciate its depth, have included these artists in my favorites list and even tabbed a couple of Leonard Cohen pieces which are on this site. On the subject of Leonard Cohen's style, sometime back in 1975 when I was at college in Bangor, North Wales, I attended a concert by a folk singer / comedian called Stan Arnold. He made a joking reference to Cohen's sometimes depressing lyrics, saying that the best way to appreciate a Leonard Cohen Album [LP] was with your head in a gas oven! Cohen, incidentally, is still performing.

Date: April 15, 2012 10:53PM

Of the three, Cohen, Dylan, Williams I think Cohen comes in first to depressing regarding tune but does have the advantage of orchestral arrangements more than the others. I also have tabbed Cohen in full and found him exhausting for harmonica, tabbing and playing. Of these, two tabbings have been tops in my list for picking up hits quickly. Wonder what that is saying? What you say about the three of them being a contrast to bubbly, happy, is true, for the content of their lyrics is usually of some disaster or lost love. Thanks Meanon for entering the forum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.