HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Alphabetizing
Posted by: ,,, (24.209.131.---)
Date: March 02, 2012 06:18AM

Ever notice how the all tabs list is /sort/ of alphabetized, but not quite? Like, look:

Dear Prudence
The Beatles
Rock
chibluesteve
Dear Bobbie
Yellowcard
General
techno_knight
Dear Father
Neil Diamond
Musical
EarthDogHarpin
Dear Father (Chromatic Orchestral Accom)
Neil Diamond
Musical
EarthDogHarpin
Dear Father (Chromatic)
Neil Diamond
Musical
EarthDogHarpin
Dear Heart
Henry Mancini
General
TIN_MAN
Dear John
Unknown
General
TIN_MAN
Dear John (T,V, Theme)
Wendy Talbot
Theme
aussie
Dear Mr. Fantasy
Traffic
Pop
WaltP
Dear Pru-dence,
the beatles
General
alejandro
Dear Prudence
the beatles
General
skink

ok, that didn't paste as well as I was hoping, but see how it goes from Dear Prudence to Dear Father and a few more, then back to Dear Prudence?

Nick, please go through the all tabs list and manually put them all in order when you get a chance. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alphabetizing
Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2012 08:53PM

This has to do with the way people entered in the tab names, the first letter is a space or some other odd character so the database lists it that way. This was something I had fixed but all of the tabs entered before then could have that character.

Posted by: ,,, (24.209.131.---)
Date: March 02, 2012 09:22PM

I don't think that's what's happening. I don't mean the tabs that were bumped to the beginning because of some special character, I get why that happened. But if you look at that range in the all tab list (roughly 3185-4194, depending on how many new tabs were added since I posted that), the 1st Dear Prudence is /almost/ in the right spot, it wasn't bumped to the beginning. I've seen that happen in a few other places too, that was just the example I found for the post.

Posted by: meanon (92.107.180.---)
Date: March 03, 2012 03:36AM

In the case of two versions of "Dear Prudence" not sorting together, the answer appears to be that the version tabbed by "skink" has one space between "Dear" and "Prudence" and the version by "chibluesteve" has two spaces. The extra spaces are relevant for sorting but stripped out for display so you don't see what is happening. How did I find that out ? If you use the search bar and look for "Dear Prudence" (one space!) it brings back only the version by "skink". If, hownver, you search for "Dear Prudence" (two spaces) you get only the version by "chibluesteve".

Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2012 04:32PM

Yes that is correct, and to get around the unique naming requirement people have been adding spaces like that. To fix this would be very difficult. It would require us to manually edit every tab which is not in the correct spot. There would be no perminant solution to this.

I can do some minor corrections programatically but onl if duplicate tabs names are allowed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.