HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Need Helpconfused smiley
Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.191.---)
Date: August 15, 2011 05:51PM

I've tried several times to post a new tab and either there are extra spaces between the lines, or the numbers don't line up with the words, or both! What used to be a simple one step copy and paste procedure now is almost impossible to accomplish and have the tab readable.

Is it possible all this is because I'm using Word 2003?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Helpconfused smiley
Posted by: WaltP (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 06:08PM

I always use 2003, I get spaces between lines when I go back to the tab and try to make a change. When I do that I just recopy and paste from word.
I found that if I didn't set to Courier on the add a tab page the spacing of #s above words would be wrong, after I set to Courier once it would remember
Hope that helps.

Date: August 15, 2011 07:23PM

It's still putting in all the extra blank lines. Have repeatedly tried to edit the tab, taking out all the extra blank lines, but every time I hit "post" they all get put back in.

Four additional lines are put in between the line of numbers (representing the notes) and line of lyrics. Then there's nine additional spaces/lines between that line and the next line of numbers. Seems like no matter what I do, the additional spaces just keep getting put back in. Very frustrating. At least it's consistent!

I did set the font to Courier New. Numbers now line up. But there's still all those extra blank lines appearing that shouldn't be there. And on the blank lines, there's also an additional space (as if "Enter" was hit then the space bar was hit).

Edit:
Have tried again to Edit out the extra blank lines, to no avail. They keep getting put back in. Have suspicions that the problem in the code itself. I can hit "highlight all", set the font to Courier New, set the text size to "3", but when I go to the body of the tab, there are places that show up that are neither Courier New or size "3". Even if I try to take those oddities out, they apparently get put back in when "Save" is hit. Very frustrating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2011 10:38PM by EarthDogHarpin.

Posted by: yukon (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 16, 2011 08:03AM

I have no problem when I add a new tab, only when I try to edit an existing tab do I get extra spaces and lose my alignment and like Walt said I just recopy and paste the whole thing. I have Word 2007, but I have my settings to save documents as 2003 version. I have Word set at courier new with a font size of 10 and I have my left margin set at 0 and my right margin set at 4.25. As for the add tab screen I have never changed any of the settings on it, so at the top of that screen mine says something like "font family" and "size" instead of having any type or size of font listed. I just copy my tab from Word and paste it(using a right click and then clicking paste) onto the new tab screen.
I have had in the past where if I had too many blank spaces after the last number or letter on a line that it would put a blank line under that one, so I make sure that I don't have any spaces at the end of any of my lines. Don't know if any of this will help or not.

Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2011 11:54AM

Another thing which may help if you hold shift and press enter it goes only one space instead of two.

Date: August 16, 2011 06:00PM

I really appreciate the help Walt, Nick, and Yukon. Thank you very much. I'm still a bit confused, though. Walt, you and Yukon say you just "recopy" everything from the word document (which is how I make all my tabs, just like you guys! smiling smiley ) and repost it. But, Yukon, you said you right click it to copy all and then paste (right clicking still, correct?). Walt, how do you do it? I use "CTRL+A" to highlight all the tab, then hit "CTRL+C" to copy all, then "CTRL+V" to paste it all into the window. Could that be where the problem is occurring?

Nick, you said to hold down the shift button and press enter to only go one space instead of two... but I don't go two spaces, I only go one space (hit "enter" once). The extra spaces appear after I hit the post button. They're not there when I'm looking at the tab in the window. It all appears perfect in the window. It's only after I hit "post" that they appear in the finished/posted tab. Sooo, to fix the "spacey tabs", do I need to hit "edit tab" then go through and take out ALL the blank lines THEN go to the end of each line and hold down the "shift" button and hit "enter" to only drop down one line? confused smiley

MAN!! I never used to have any problems with this! Used to be just copy and paste and Viola! T'was done! Now, not so much. :-(

Date: August 17, 2011 12:59AM

Can you give me an example of a tab doing this. I can then take a look at it further.

Posted by: WaltP (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2011 01:11AM

I do it the same as you

Date: August 17, 2011 06:52AM

I highlight the tab then click on the copy icon in Word and then right click to paste into the new tab screen. I hardly ever use the control key shortcuts for anything.

Date: August 17, 2011 03:02PM

Nick, all of the Mister Cellophane tabs, and all of the Rolling In The Deep tabs. Thank you for offering to take a look....

Thank you Walt and Yukon for the feed back. Y'all are very much appreciated. smiling smiley (And you're appreciated, too, Nick!)

Posted by: WaltP (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2011 02:31AM

Interestingly, my tabs are double spacing too, and my computer is haunted. When I put down 3/4 time on the word doc of the song it is changing itself to 7/8. The first time I saw it I thought I made a typo, but it's happened again.

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: August 18, 2011 04:34AM

Your computer is adjusting for inflation.

Date: August 18, 2011 08:12AM

I just posted One Day and it gave me double spacing but not on all lines so I went back and edited it in the screen instead of repasting the song and saved it then checked it out and it still gave me some double spacings and some were fine.

Date: August 18, 2011 04:20PM

When I edit those tabs I see them with the extra lines in between... maybe I misunderstood the issue. Is it only when you copy and then paste it to here? There is a special paste designed for use with Word, are you using that?

Date: August 18, 2011 04:58PM

I just use a right click and then click paste, that's the way I have always done it and up until today it always came out fine unless you had to edit it then it would put in the extra spaces, but today when I posted the song it looked fine in the add new tab section but when I clicked on the tab from the home page it had the extra spaces but some of the lines had no extra spacing in them. Maybe if I get some time in the morning I will try reposting the tab using the paste from word. Lunch is over so I can't try it now.

Date: August 18, 2011 05:25PM

I just checked out the tab you posted and it looks correct to me when I edit it and when I view it normally. Let me know what isn't right about it (maybe something like spacing between line 1 and two is too far).

Date: August 18, 2011 09:52PM

Well, this isn't going to sound right, but... guess I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having this problem. I was beginning to think it was just me, and that I had to be doing something wrong because nobody else seemed to be having any problems....

Nick, I've tried the special paste designated for use with Word on a couple of different occasions: with the Rolling In The Deep tabs, and again with the Mister Cellophane tabs. On both occasions, the numbering over the words was all out of sync. The font was no longer Courier New, either. Seemed like all the formatting from the Word document just wasn't there anymore. I did not hit "save" (or "post", I can't remember the name of the button and I can't open two tabs at the same time now...) so I don't know if the "out of sync" would have become "in sync", and the non-Courier New font would have become Courier New once the tab was posted.

What I did do was go through the entire tab and realign the numbers with the appropriate place above the words until all was "perfect" once again. Then I hit "save" (or "post"! whichever!!) and the finished product was still all messed up, only the numbers were out of sync in the opposite direction and the double spacing was still occurring.

Also, every time I attempt to edit a tab, even MORE blank lines are added. It's as if everything is being double spaced, and every time "edit this tab" is hit, additional double spaces are added to what's already there. :-( I went back and looked at all the Rolling In The Deep tabs, and all the Mister Cellophane tabs, just to see if the double spacing is still there. It is. I did not try to fix them this time around. Left them for you to study to see if you can find out what the problem is.

I appreciate your efforts in this.

Yukon and Walt, thank you, too.

Date: August 19, 2011 06:50AM

The first line of lyrics is supposed to have the extra space, but what I see when I view the tab is under the first line of numbers is a space and then the lyrics,there should be no space there as those numbers are for the lryics below that.

example: This is what I see

4 5 6 6 6 -6 5 5

sometimes I lay under the moon
4 4 -5 5 -4 4

and thank God I'm breathin

And this is what it should look like

4 5 6 6 6 -6 5 5
sometimes I lay under the moon
4 4 -5 5 -4 4
and thank God I'm breathin

I did print the tab and when it prints it comes out looking the right way.

The numbers in the tab line up correctly over the words not like on here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2011 06:52AM by yukon.

Date: August 19, 2011 11:47AM

The print and the regular version both come out the same way when I look at them. I do not see any white space entered in for the numbers to spread it out.

What browser are you using?

Posted by: WaltP (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 19, 2011 12:34PM

Windows explorer or whatever comes with windows

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.