HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
"Cover Song" Syntax Question
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2015 04:41AM

Somebody reported a tab because they didn't know how else to address an issue. (A PM to the tabber would work.) The person who reported it feels that "Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen Cover)" incorrectly credits authorship to Rufus Wrainwright [sic]. I'm thinking that the tabber knows this, but the syntax is confusing. If John wrote and recorded a song, and Jane performed it, also, is that a "John cover", or a "Jane cover"??

I dunno. But anyway, Cohen wrote it and Wainwright was one of MANY who covered it.

Hmmmm... He covered a Cohen song, so it's a Cohen cover.
OR
Wainwright sang the cover, so it's a Wainwright cover.

Ah heck. I don't know!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Cover Song" Syntax Question
Date: March 13, 2015 04:56AM

OK. I asked a few other people that question. After adding a couple of words, it seems that the person who reported the tab is correct.

"It's a Wainwright cover of a Cohen song."

So the title, "Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen Cover)" seems to be incorrect.

(*sigh* I've got too much time on my hands... lol)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2015 04:59AM by gene.

Date: March 13, 2015 05:11AM

I tried sumthin' else, too. I did a web search "The Doors covers." What turned up was a list of other artists' songs that The Doors played, rather than a list of other artists' performances of Doors songs. So this kinda confirms that the above title is incorrect. Right?

Posted by: ,,, (24.209.152.---)
Date: March 14, 2015 06:27PM

I interpret "Leonard Cohen cover" to mean "it's a cover of a Leonard Cohen song," which is what I'm assuming the tabber meant.

Date: March 16, 2015 05:08AM

That's the way I would have taken it, ('cuz I knew who wrote it, maybe?), but I wasn't sure that was the right syntax. After looking around a bit, I got to thinking that it's the other way around. But I'm not bettin' my bottom dollar on this. smiling smiley

Posted by: railjumper (172.7.230.---)
Date: April 06, 2015 02:15AM

Since it's a version of the song to be played on harmonica, it's a cover of a song written by Cohen. And since it may not be exactly like the original, it's a close facsimile, or copy, or cover of Cohen's work.
So I would think Leonard Cohen Cover is correct, since you, the harp player, are covering the song.

At least I've convinced myself that it is correct.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.