HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Nick! Google detects malware...
Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (---.sub-174-253-72.myvzw.com)
Date: November 28, 2010 02:06PM

On the 18th, Google detected some type of malware associated with Harptabs. Whenever I come here I see a message banner first off, up at the top of the page before anything else loads, saying that "this site is currently being moved to a new server" and that "I may have issues adding content while the site is being moved".

Google is also indicating that there are 13 (thirteen) pages resulting in malicious software being downloaded. Last time suspicious software was found on the site was 19Nov, 2010.

Malicious software hosted on 1 domain: rezip dot ru / .
One domain appears to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including top dash rudomen dot com / .
The site is hosted on 1 (one) network: AS25847 parenthases SERVNT close parenthases.

Google also says this site (harptabs) did not appear to function as an antermediary for infection, and that Harptabs has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

Hope this info helps you fix the problem, Nick.

(This post was originally on/in the Harp Content section... thought I'd post here to nab your attention if you weren't aware of the problem already.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nick! Google detects malware...
Posted by: harmusman (---.hari.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: November 28, 2010 06:27PM

Glad you have nailed the problem Earthdog. I have always felt that the malware or adware whatever it's called, could be coming of this site (among others). As Nick is retuning the site by moving over to new servers he will no doubt find the problems and have us up and running again soon., but I don't think anyone will be able to clean those B........D ADWARES and TROJANS out of it for good. It's something we have to live with.

Posted by: djlactose (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2010 02:22PM

The infections were tracked down to be a weakness on the server which is why the server company was moving us to the new one. They have not told me that the move has taken place but since the site is clean and it appears that everything on the backed has been updated I think they did the move already. I am looking into it now. This should keep the site clean in the future.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (---.sub-174-253-75.myvzw.com)
Date: December 02, 2010 04:14PM

Cool. Still getting a "blocking page" from Google though. The banner that was up at the top of the harptabs page saying things are being moved to a new server is no longer there. At the bottom of Google's "why was this page blocked?" is a section labelled "next step":

"If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google
Webmaster Tools", which is a link to:
www.google.com/webmasters/tools/

You cannot imagine how much you are appreciated, Nick, in all you do to keep Harptabs up & running. A most heart-felt "Thank You".

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 03, 2010 01:56AM

Google has to review the website before they get rid of that warning. I submitted it for review and I believe they have now reviewed it since I am no longer seeing the messages now.

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 03, 2010 02:42AM

With the new server, would we now be able to upload larger files? The upload function has been virtually useless.

Date: December 03, 2010 05:19PM

The server is the same company just has been fully patched. I am actually in the process of redesigning the entire site from scratch to address some of the long standing issues we have been facing. The upload has been crippled by security needs due to it being constantly exploited by hackers. The new design should hopefully remove some of our past limitations and make future growth even easier.

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 04, 2010 03:27AM

Sounds great!

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (---.sub-174-253-82.myvzw.com)
Date: December 05, 2010 01:56PM

Workin' like a charm, now! (Woo-hoo! Happy dance!)
Nick, you ROCK!

... speaking of reworking/redesigning the site... any way you can rehabilitate the "who's on now?" area? That was a really nifty thing to be able to see who's on the site at the time.

(As if you don't have enough work already! But thought I'd at least ask.)

Date: December 06, 2010 07:57PM

That is a feature I use all of the time myself so I want that working properly lol.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.186.---)
Date: December 09, 2010 09:51PM

Hang on a minute! You mean the Who's On Now Members part is working? All I get is "Members: 0" - for many, many months now! Keeps track of Guests just fine, though. I'm confused!

(NOT that I mean to make more work for you! I'm just askin'.)

By the way, the site loads *much* faster now. Woo-hoo!

Posted by: djlactose (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2010 03:31AM

i meant to say used instead of use

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.186.---)
Date: December 10, 2010 02:28PM

Ah!

*phooey*

Posted by: fbc (---.megared.net.mx)
Date: March 11, 2011 08:36PM

the site is probably vulnerable to SQL injection attacks as some of the posted fields might no all be validated and filtered.

It's what happens when there is no common functions to call for posting. Another reason why a CMS is important.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.