Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Need Advice
Posted by: Marko (---.dialup.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: August 12, 2004 06:31PM

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a new harmonica and am not quite sure about what kind i should get... i currently have a harmonica in the key of C... i was wondering what the other keys sound like... i was also wondering whether to stick with diatonic or try something else.. tell me what you think.. thanx

~ 20

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Advice
Posted by: coldbevs (---.smsc.com)
Date: August 12, 2004 07:58PM

I am also looking into buying another harp. My current one is starting to sound pretty poor (what do you want from a gift shop harmonica). I am planning on sticking with a diatonic and c key since they seem to be the easiest to find songs for (my music talents are still just basic). Let me know what you go with.

Post Edited (08-12-04 17:00)

Posted by: Vinny_Boberano (80.51.246.---)
Date: August 13, 2004 06:06AM

Everything depends on what is your ultimate goal. I mean what do you want to play? And why? Then check in what key are the songs you whish to play, and it will be ok to buy such harmonica for a start. The one in C is good for practicing. I use my hohner special 20 and its quite durable. I had no problems with it so far.
I think the most used harmonicas are in the key of 'A' and 'D'. I have a Golden Melody in A and its the best choice i could made, the sound is great, but as some ppl claim that harmonica isn't durable. I've heard that in the key of 'D' most recommended is Suzuki but I've never tried it. I just stick to those two so far and i'm still learning to play.

> i was also wondering whether to stick with diatonic or try something else

(saxophone, piano, flute? )Form the above, i have the impression you haven't specified what muisc you want to play, or if any at all ;-) Think it over and then choose. I've never tried chromatic to tell ya, but maybe someone else will tell us how great it is and its drawbacks.

Posted by: Marko (---.dialup.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: August 14, 2004 02:54PM

I really just try to play rock and blues music... that's what i'm into... if you've ever heard any blind melon songs and the harmonica solos they play, that's what i'm going for.. the sound i mean.. i'm almost positive that they don't play in the key of C but i'm not sure... i'd like to try something in a different key since i've been playing in C for so long... i'm just not sure what key sounds the best for that type of music... if anyone has any more suggestions just tell me... thanx

~ 20

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 15, 2004 05:51PM

I know John Lennon used a G harp. I always liked the sound of the G harp.

Posted by: Marko (---.159.212.125.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: August 16, 2004 09:35PM

i'll look into that..

~ 20

Posted by: Jamtharp (---.04-7-6f736411.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se)
Date: February 11, 2005 09:46AM

To all of you on the issue what harps to get...
C is a very good start since most guides and tutoring is often in the key of C. And you can play in diffent keys with the C harmonica. (2nd position and so on)
As mentioned above the kind of music you want to play have to be weighted in too.
And if you are really in to it and want to play in a band it can be even more important. All Other instruments are not tuned in the key of C.
Then we have the sound...
I currently have two Major diatonic harps in C and F. (Lee Oscar)
They have been great but sometimes I feel there are notes missing. (wich is natural!)
So I will get some harps in other keys..
Since I play various kinds of music, including folkmusic I really need to explore different keys and minor tuned ones.
As you may have seen harps can be expensive, so I will do some exploring with a bit cheaper harps, and then buy better models in the keys I discover that I enjoy playing....
Harp on, Folks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.