Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What Harp do you use?
Posted by: jwdixon_sbis (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: July 26, 2005 09:31PM

reply to barbarian : wow...

I use a Hohner Piccolo C which I found in my closet when I was cleaning it. I just don't know where it comes from.

Thank you for this website a lot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Barbarian (---.clss.net)
Date: July 27, 2005 02:20AM

for the most part, the basic core of the story is virtually true

Posted by: aeharper (---.l1.c2.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 28, 2005 02:38PM

Hi there.
I use a Hohner Marine Band in C and a Hohner Big River Harp in G.

Posted by: GorillaMaster (---.buckeye-express.com)
Date: August 11, 2005 08:47PM

The one in my mouth (literally) right now is a Johnson harmonica in the key of C. I bought a set off of eBay (don't worry, it was not used) that had 6 keys of Johnsons. I also have a Chrometta 10. By the way, I only know one person other than me who plays the harmonica, who happens to be one of my friends.

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: August 17, 2005 04:10PM

Thought I'd join the furrow. (grin)))

I'm on week 3 of playing the harmonica & now own 4 diatonic harmonicas. lol I started off w/ a Kay Chicago Blues in C (for $2.00) & wouldn't recommend it to anyone I liked. Then I sent away for a Hohner Special 20 in C, but got a damaged reed. So, then I went out and got a Marine Band in C locally, and I'm in love! I'm totally with pcguyiv on how good the Marine Bands are to play & sound. (smile))) And, just this week, I've acquired a Hohner Golden Melody in G, and it's a beauty & sounds amazin'.

ichabod, I loved your post. It was like the best review of just about every available harmonica out there! Play on dude! (grin)))

Nick, if you just started playing last March, then this website can't be that old? How long has harptabs been here?

~always Maria.

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 04:21AM

5/4/2004 this site became officially live, I know because that is the date I created my account. I have years of web design experience and when I couldn't looked at all of the harmonica sites out there I felt what was need was a free interactive site where you can search what you are looking for instead of trying to find it listed.

Date: August 18, 2005 08:03PM

One of the things I like about this forum, as opposed to some other forums (ie. Yahoo groups), is the ability to pick & choose which mail I want coming to my personal mailbox. If I'm participating in a thread, then I'll choose to have replies sent to me. In Yahoo groups, it's all coming to my mailbox or I can set it not to & can go to the website to filter through & figure out where I am.

Anyway, it's nice to hear that I'm coming into this group fairly earlier. (grin))) At this rate, by next year, I could be an "old-timer!" (giggle))

Hope your all having a great day. It's sunny & mildly warm in SW Washington, USA. I'm going to head outside now & catch the day. Talk to ya later...

~always Maria.

P.S.: and yes, I'm takin' my harp. Anymore, I practically feel naked without it on my person. (wink, lol)))

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 04:26AM

If you have a cell phone you can bring the website with you.

Date: August 21, 2005 02:12PM

That's nice to know 'bout the cell phone accessibility, but the fact is, I think cell phones are evil! (wink, grin))) lol

Actually, I'm a dinasaur & haven't caught up to the 21st century. lol

By the way, the more I play the Golden Melody (in G), the more I'm feelin' like the Melody is my favorite harp. Although, I must say, the more I play, the more I realize that some music just sounds better played in a C key, in which case, my Marine Band is my best harp. (big grin))))

~always Maria.

Posted by: almosthuman (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 08:35PM

Hey Nick,

Changing the subject for a second in order to mercilessly tease you...

I can't believe you wimped the bend on Danny Boy! I just printed out your tab and tried it. There's a bent 3 draw down the bottom end, and you and Maria in her Danny Boy both wimped it. Shame on the pair of you! It's not a hard bend and you've only got to indicate it and release into the full 3 draw.

"I love you so", should go: 4 -3// -3 4

I accept that the other one is harder - the "falling", because you have to hold the -3// which is difficult, but you could get away with-4 -3 3, or -4 4 3 provided you got on with the next line.

Oh, and I use Lee Oskars, because I love the sweet tone. I have nearly a full set, but carry a C in my pocket all the time. I have a Great Little Harp which I should carry (cos they get mashed up in my pocket), but usually I take the Lee Oskar with me.

But I'm well tempted to try a Bushman Delta Frost next and see how I get on, because they apparently bend like a something-jolly-bendy. With the pound/dollar exchange rate, they are temptingly cheap and I could get them sent over for less money than I pay for a Lee Oskar in my local shop.

I used to use Big Rivers, but the rails in the front used to cut my lips after a long session.

See you

Robin
England

Date: September 26, 2005 02:24PM

((((Robin))))

too funny, but I didn't notice until I went back & looked, but the "Danny Boy" I posted is very similar to the one Nick posted. The major difference seems to be the way we heard the endings.

When I first signed up for Harptabs, I was only going to use the forum & not post any songs until I took a music reading class, but Nick encouraged me to get familar with my harmonica, listen, and just go for it. "Danny Boy" was the 1st song I tabbed, & I remember I was soo darn proud of myself, I had to write to the forum & get kudos for evening trying! lol

I'm still new at bending keys, so it didn't occur to me until you mentioned it. "Falling" could be -4 -3// 3. But, being that I'm new at the harp & that bend is a little awkward for me is probably why I heard it -4 4 -3. Again, On the "I love you so," 4 -3 -4 4, could have been bent, but when I was tabbing it, I didn't hear it. After reading your post I tried it 4 -3// -3 4, & it felt a little awkward, but did sound good. It might be because I've been playing it the other way for awhile now that it felt weird.

In any case, I wrote Nick's version & your version down & will play around with it. (wink, grin)))

Back to the topic at hand... I saw the Bushman Delta Frost on www.harpdepot.com. I noticed they have the Delta Frost coming out in a wooden comb which I think is very neat. (smile)))

~always Maria.

Posted by: scottishbob (---.stb.ubr12.newt.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: September 26, 2005 04:32PM

Excellent site, I have only just found it, and excellent free tabs. I am not sure about the ending to Danny Boy though.

I used to use Marlboros, changing to Marlboro lights as my lung capacity diminished. However now that I use Blues Harps and Marine bands my breathing is better and I don't smell as bad.(I Hope)

I do however like the wooden combs, because they tear up your mouth and tongue like a twenty pack and a hard night.

And more tunefull. That too.

Another Robin. Stranded in England.

Posted by: almosthuman (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: September 27, 2005 11:31AM

Well, you know what they say, mate: The best thing to ever come out of Scotland was the road leading to England......

As for Danny Boy, I've got the sheet music in front of me, and there are actually three -3// which are: "Calling" "Flowers Dying" (last notes) and "I love you so" (love). The first two, even I would avoid the bends since the bent -3 cannot help but sound choked and you really want it clear. In both cases a 3 blow will work, provided you get on with the next line and don't dwell on it until people begin to look thoughtful. The last one sounds great as an indicate and release.

The start is a bit strange too, since it ought to be

-3 4 -4 5

-4 5 -6 6 5 -4 4 -3//

But Maria's start would make a nice variation on the second verse, or a notional third.

The 20 pack still sounds good to me, the lung capacity is kept up by rugby, and I still sound like I'm bluesy when I put down the harmonica and speak.

Cheers

Robin
England

Posted by: irishharpman (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: November 20, 2005 04:14AM

Hi,

This is my first post. First off, I would like to thank Nick for putting this site together. Well done. I play the Special 20 for now. (I'm considering low tuned Lee Oskars) My direction is learning Irish trad and Irish folk,,,,,from jigs and reels to certain riffs within ballads (aka Saw Doctors, Van Morrison)

Date: November 20, 2005 05:03PM

Welcome to the harptabs forum Irishharpman <--I love your screenname, by the way. (smile)))

This is an awesome website. I first got attracted because of all the free tabs, but I stayed because of the great people & support you can get here.

I've discovered a love of Irish music too, since playing the harmonica. One of the these days, I'll have to break down & buy some Irish books, but for now I'm having fun scraping together little melodies here & there. (grin))

The Special 20 is a great harmonica and comes highly recommended for beginners (to advanced). I've been eyeballing low tuned keys harps too, but just haven't make up my mind yet. Bushman has a lowboy that looks good, but I'll wait & see. (wink, grin)))

Glad to have you abroad Rob.

~always Maria.

Posted by: RollinRevue (65.54.97.---)
Date: November 21, 2005 12:14PM

Hi:
I use Big Rivers in "C"and "Bb" (A bit slow in respnse but still a very serviceable harp for the price). Golden Melodys in "F" and "A" (A great harp, one of the very best). Lee Oscars in "A", "D" and "G" (A very good harp, good response and a very nice tone. I rate these right up near to the Golden Melody). I also once picked up a Weltmiester Black bird in "C" at the Yellowpine harmonica festival in Idaho. (An O.K. harp but too short lived). I also own a Suzuki Pro Master in "C". (A great harp but a little expensive). I also may pick up some of the low tuned harps as well becouse I am learning some of the Irish songs posted on the site. (Thank you Maria for the "The Wid Rover". How about tabbing "The Whistling Gypsy Rover"?). Any way I would Like to play a lot of these straight harp songs not so high in pitch.

Thanks Harp Rat

Date: November 21, 2005 03:16PM

hiya harprat (grin)))

I've never heard of the "The Whistling Gypsy Rover," but now I'm curious and will have to at least find the midi sound clip for it. Without the sheet music, I can't tab, for my lone ear isn't in tune enough to tab anything 'off the cuff.' I'm 1/4 Irish and my auntie (who plays the piano) mailed me some music to get me started with some Irish melodies.

I do have my own sound clip for "The Irish Rover" at : [www.harmonicaclub.com] <--I just bought my first mic last Friday, and this is my very first "production!" lol Anyway, I just love that song and get a giggle every time I play it. (smile)))

I understand not wanting to sound like dog whistles while spittin' out these Irish tunes. hehehe I'm not sure if it's on this forum or another that I've discussed how quite a few of the traditional Irish folk started off as fiddle tunes and have been transposed for other instruments, so quite often they do fall in the high range. There is a way to lay it out and transpose it down the scale, but I've haven't tried it yet, nor have the time... yet. (wink))) Like you, I just grab a lower key to play. I did my clip of the Irish Rover with a Blues Harp in Ab, but the "Butcher Boy" sounded best to me in a Bb... well... to me... not my my dog. She hates my harp playing, especially in the higher keys. lol

~always Maria.

Posted by: RollinRevue (65.54.154.---)
Date: November 22, 2005 01:10AM

Thanks Maria;
" Whistling Gypsie Rover" was done by the Chieftians (one version with Nancy Griffith). I know the words and the melody, but can't quite work the tune on the harp. I am learning the "Wild Rover" on a "G" harp. (the MIDI I have is in this key) It sounds pretty good in that key. I am Irish. My given names are Patrick Micheal
Our dog also howls (any key) to my harp playing, sometimes I think she is trying to howl to the music! I have to lock her away from me when I play.
I do play blues, if any one is interested I can tab some Slim Harpo and others. I can tab Lee Oscar's "Platinum Jazz" (and others) as well.
(smile))).

Keep Wailing

Pat the Harprat

Posted by: scottishbob (---.stb.ubr12.newt.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: November 24, 2005 10:40PM

I have added the whistling gypsy rover, though I missed the word whistling out of the title. And I think it is an OK version. When you play a song for long enough you tend to think it is the correct version.

I was brought up sitting on my aunties knee whilst my mother was working, learning Irish songs.
There are an awful lot of Irish in the west of scotland. And singing and music was part of the culture. I had ten sets of aunts and uncles in the village I lived in. There was no such thing as a quiet night in.

I am getting more and more into blues. I spend a lot of time trying to sound like Sonny Boy Williamson. Post some blues.

Date: November 25, 2005 10:14AM

awesome Robin!

It's 2:24am... I woke up after passin' out earlier from too much Turkey. lol I don't dare pull out my harmonicas to check out, "whistling gypsy rover," until later today. (grin)))))

~always Maria.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.