Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Question about tabs
Posted by: Twiliger (172.68.47.---)
Date: January 02, 2018 11:00PM

I only play Diatonic Harp. A cannot do riffs and bluesy stuff to save my soul. Only play melodies. I have learned many songs from this site. However I don't understand the markers used. If it means bend the note I am S.O.L.

4 3 -3” -3’ -3’ -3’ -3”

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about tabs
Posted by: yukon (162.158.63.---)
Date: January 03, 2018 08:26AM

Yes those notations are bends the ' is a half step bend and the " is a full step bend, I am not an expert on this and a not always a good teacher so there may be others who can help you out better than me, the half step bend flattens the note, on a C harmonica the 3' changes the note from a B to a B flat, and the 3" takes the note for a B to an A, the other common one is the 2" which on a C harmonica takes it from G to a F. It takes practice to get the bending down correctly, basically it is placing the tip of your tongue at the base of your bottom teeth and arching your tongue up while you draw in, which is much like sucking a thick milkshake through a straw. Bending does take quite a bit of practice but it allows you to play more songs so it is worth the time it takes to practice and learn this skill, there are many sites you can search to help you learn this.

Re: Question about tabs
Posted by: Twiliger (162.158.58.---)
Date: May 15, 2018 01:36PM

Thanks for the help. I figured they might be bends. I can do a bend, but more to get the effect.. of a dipping in the tone. Gives a slight cry feel to certain tunes. I have memorized nearly 50 songs now. I tend to be drawn to the slow lilting melodies. Things like "The Old Lamplighter." I just figures out The Outlander Theme and How's The World Treating You.
Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.