Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
-2 or 3
Posted by: Turkey_Man (172.73.233.---)
Date: June 18, 2016 06:38PM

When you look at a tab, do you prefer the tab to use a 2 draw or a 3 blow for the note? They are the same, but I always wonder what others prefer. Personally, I use them both. I use the 3 blow sometimes with out thinking in the middle of a phrase, mostly to save breath. However, I always try to resolve phrases on the 2 draw. Yeah I know, I'm over analyzing...but that's me. Would be interested in your thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: -2 or 3
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2016 05:55AM

I prefer -2. If I want to play 3, I know I can. If I've played enough draw notes to fill my lungs, the 3 might be welcome.

You can get more expression with -2. It bends.

Posted by: WaltP (96.238.102.---)
Date: June 20, 2016 06:11PM

Your question caused me to realize I almost never play -2. Mainly because I just play tabs. about the only time I will is if I'm on -4 and want to get to 3 superfast, I'll tongue switch to -2 as it can be virtually instantaneous and it will also be full volume attack of the note.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (107.203.62.---)
Date: June 20, 2016 09:33PM

Well, it depends on the music.
Depends on the note before, the note after, how those notes are to be played, and where I am lung-capacity wise. When I'm creating a tab, whether I use draw two or blow three all depends on those above criteria. I'll almost always use -2 if the note before is a draw note, especially if the music calls for the player to "slur", or "slide" into the draw two note. If the note before is a blow note, then I'll use blow three instead.
If, the note in question is to be attacked and played as a staccato note, then I'll use blow three.

Posted by: yukon (173.245.52.---)
Date: June 24, 2016 07:35AM

I don't have a preference, it depends on the notes around it, whatever seems to fit in best with the notes before it and the notes following it, the only exception is that if I am playing a lot of draw notes or a lot of blow notes in a row then I will use the opposite to give my lungs a break. When creating a tab I use what I feel fits in best knowing that the person playing the tab can use whichever they prefer.

Posted by: ,,, (108.162.220.---)
Date: July 04, 2016 05:07PM

Whichever one is easier to play at the moment. This takes into account where I am on the harp now, and if I'm running out of breath and need to inhale or exhale.

Posted by: JerryVan (108.162.219.---)
Date: July 04, 2016 08:02PM

I am still a beginner that is doing fairly well. I clearly notice the 2 draw advantage immediately after any 3 draw bends. that 2 draw is waiting to work right now instead of trying to relax after a heavy bend. I see 3 blow as a good spare tire if you need it, you may need to rely on knowing that 3 blow is not going to bend when you do not want any at all.

Posted by: pcguyiv (108.162.237.---)
Date: September 27, 2016 03:17PM

Honestly, I can't say that I've ever given it any thought. I'd have to say that by default, I probably use 3 more than -2, though if I need to bend, obviously, -2 is what gets used.

Adieu! (Or is that, "Adoughnt"?)

PCGuyIV

Posted by: JerryVan (108.162.219.---)
Date: October 02, 2016 02:56AM

A used bookstore had John Gindick's "The Natural Blues and Country Western Harmonica" - A Beginners Guide.

o Paraphrase he teaches using the 3 blow for the fact that it is the sure thing and easier to execute. I'm not sure he mentioned it, but it does help anticipate whether or not you really need to tak advantage of that important xhale being a resolving note in 2nd position it is a great opportunity to drag it out nicely if needed. They both have their advantages.

--------------------------

Dying man couldn't make up his mind which place to go to -- both have their advantages, "heaven for climate, hell for company!"
- Mark Twain's Notebooks and Journals, vol. 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.