Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Would you buy a used harp?
Posted by: franco (108.28.241.---)
Date: January 04, 2016 01:11AM

I see old harps at flea markets that look like they have character, but was never tempted to buy one. However, I recently saw an old, used chromatic harp in an antique store. I've been wanting a chromatic but am hesitant to buy a used harp. Does anybody have a good way to test a used harp without putting your mouth on it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Would you buy a used harp?
Posted by: WaltP (96.238.102.---)
Date: January 04, 2016 02:15PM

I've never really come across a used harp that works very well and especially a chromatic. There are testers out there, but they really don't tell you much.

Posted by: railjumper (172.7.230.---)
Date: January 10, 2016 03:36AM

I have bought used harps on ebay. All you have to go by is the sellers word on how good it works. You can usually tell by the pictures how much it has been used. I only buy used harps with a plastic comb. Soon as it arrives I take it apart, wash it using a toothbrush with dish soap, rinse and then do it again with denatured alcohol and rinse again. So far every one I bought has worked with no problems.

I've never bought a used chromatic, but have been tempted. Figured I could save money on something I'm not sure that I would use that much. I'm still trying to master the Diatonic. I think chromatics have wind savers and such, so really cleaning them might not work as well without doing damage. I don't really know.

Posted by: Marcy (96.4.231.---)
Date: January 12, 2016 03:53PM

On the forum harmonicaclub. Com, a poster who goes by Harpdoctor often refurbishes used chromatics and says he has good luck with it. Maybe you could get in touch and ask him the particulars.
I’ve bought several diatonics. After disassembling and cleaning them well, I’ve had good luck with most.

Marcy
[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.