Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Microphone problem
Posted by: railjumper (172.7.230.---)
Date: December 26, 2015 05:50AM

I was playing a gig a while back on an outdoor stage. It had a roof, but no covered sides. A storm suddenly blew in with a lot of wind and rain. Needless to say a lot of stuff got wet, including my old Electro Voice M-43U microphone. It hasn't worked since. Does anyone know what effect the water had on the mic. to make it quit working? I was hoping after it sat and dried out it would work, but no such luck. It didn't get all that wet and everything was turned off and unplugged pretty quickly and covered as good as possible. We didn't come prepared for this weather blowing in like that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microphone problem
Posted by: harlezy2 (24.211.21.---)
Date: December 27, 2015 07:42PM

It would only take a drop of water to short out the circuit. Water forcefully blown in could require some force to pull it out maybe even gravity by tipping it a certain way or wind drawn (blow opposite way). It is also possible that excessive current from a short damaged an electrical component of the mic during the brief exposure.

Re: Microphone problem
Posted by: railjumper (172.7.230.---)
Date: January 10, 2016 04:04AM

I tried it again a few days ago and got a little sound out of it. I took it apart a couple of days ago and all I did was remove a protective film on the grill. At the time I didn't think it was supposed to be there, thought maybe the water caused some sort of film, but after looking at my other mic it has it too. Well I just plugged it into my anp and it is working fine. Maybe it finally dried out? Don't know but glad to have it back.
Problem now is I just bought a NOS Mic just like it on ebay, paying way more than I did for the one I have. It was used and I bought it several years ago. I don't think the wife was thrilled with my new purchase. They just don't understand.
Now I will have three. Guess it's time to sell at least one. These mics are unbeatable on a solid state amp. They greatly reduce feedback like no other mic I've tried, plus they sound great with tube amps also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.