Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Online lessons
Posted by: oldblues (99.119.246.---)
Date: December 06, 2015 10:21PM

Hey everyone,
I'm just starting out and need some advice on who or what website I should check out for online lessons? Also which harp I should buy?
Thanks in advance for any tips.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Online lessons
Posted by: Marcy (96.4.231.---)
Date: December 07, 2015 03:21PM

I can recommend Howard Levy’s lessons at artistworks.com. I especially like them because Mr. Levy teaches lots of styles in addition to blues. I play mainly old time or folk and have learned tons over there.
If you’re only into blues, and want mainly free lessons, check out Tomlin Lecky’s youtube channel. It’s full of great stuff.
As for a good harp, you won’t go wrong with a Hohner special 20 to start off with. There are lots of good ones out there, and it’s fun to try a variety, but that one is affordable and well made.
I bet there will be lots of other great suggestions. Best of luck and have fun getting started!

Marcy
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: oldblues (99.119.246.---)
Date: December 07, 2015 09:39PM

Hi Marcy,
Howard Levy was one of the three I was interested in. I was also looking at J.P. Allen and Dave Gage. Howard Levy seems to have a better back ground from what I can tell.

Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: December 12, 2015 11:42AM

I can't give much advise on the online lessons as I haven't viewed many of them, but on the harp it will come down to personal preference, you won't know until you tried several brands. The Suzuki Promaster is a good one (more expensive though), if you want to start cheaper the Bluesmaster is about the same, I like these better than the SP20 (just my personal preference), About a year or so ago I bought a Bushman Delta Frost, it was a little cheaper than the SP20 and Bluesmaster so I wasn't real sure about it, but I have found it plays easy and bends very easy, and has held up very good so far. I see now that it is available in 26 keys, one bad thing about them is they aren't always in stock and harp depot is currently selling as a limited time only item. Until I tried the Bushman I had got to where I preferred the Suzuki brand for Diatonics and Hohner Brand for my Tremolos.

Posted by: pcguyiv (108.162.238.---)
Date: October 17, 2016 02:52PM

Growing up, I always had Honor harps with wooden combs. I don't remember what the model name was, but it had red stain on the comb, and was a C harp. I remember the first Marine Band I ever had was a key of G, and I absolutely loved it. Now, however, for starting out, I would agree with just about any of the harps already mentioned. As far as keys are concerned, stick with either C or A (friendlier for sing-alongs) until you get to the point that you know you'll need/want other keys.

As far as the lessons are concerned, most of what I learned that didn't come from the instruction pamphlet that came with the harmonica itself, I learned from reading sites like this one and HarmonicaClub.com. Most sites that provide tabs have links to lessons or forums with information on playing.

Adieu! (Or is that, "Adoughnt"?)

PCGuyIV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.