Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Anybody interested in app to play tabs?
Posted by: ok64 (98.203.198.---)
Date: September 05, 2015 04:34AM

Hi
I am working on windows software that can read a tab, like on this site, and convert it to sheetmusic. The app can also play the tab or transpose it to a different octave or even a different harp to know what the right holes to play are.

The app is not to just enjoy the song but learn to read notes and listen to the rhythm of the tab to play it yourself.

I am adding the ability to add note durations to the tab to change the rhythm.

The app will be free, no ads, no in app purchases, just free software because I like to make it if we think it is useful.Only ask is you send me feedback with what you like and don't like.

Let me know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anybody interested in app to play tabs?
Posted by: 56Belair (108.255.233.---)
Date: October 14, 2015 02:43PM

I am a fairly new player and would definitely like an app to help with tabs of some special songs. please let me know if you move forward with this, and keep on playing..

Re: Anybody interested in app to play tabs?
Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (107.203.62.---)
Date: October 14, 2015 11:07PM

It's an intersting concept. Not sure how you could pull it off and actually have it sound like the song, though.

The Seydel Tab Tool (found here) will play whatever is entered into it (kind of like what you're suggesting). Problem is, there's no timing involved. It'll play the tones alright, but they all have the same duration of play. So, upon playback, it sounds nothing like the song one is trying to learn.eye rolling smiley

Sheetmusic, on the other hand, has a time signature, measures, notes, and rests, all of which goes together to tell the player how much time each note, or rest, receives, and when played in series is music. Not sure how one could convert a tab to sheet music because there's no timing in a tab, no indication of how long to hold each note, or when to rest, or how long to rest.... Usually, in order to play a tab, one has to already be familiar with the song to know how long to hold each note.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2015 04:25AM by EarthDogHarpin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.