Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Tongue Blocking
Posted by: Turkey_Man (104.139.21.---)
Date: August 28, 2015 12:36PM

I have been trying to teach myself how to play with a tongue block embouchure. It's a slow process, but I am getting it. However, I am struggling with what to do when I want to play a single note on the 1 and 2 holes. Can anyone give me some advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tongue Blocking
Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (107.203.62.---)
Date: August 28, 2015 04:41PM

Mike, personally I play using the "pursed lip" method, but from what I understand the idea is to switch your tongue from one side of your mouth to the other.

For instance, if you normally play with your tongue to the left side of your mouth (playing out of the right side of your mouth) and you come upon a note to be played in holes 1 or 2, move your tongue over to the right side of your mouth (thus, playing out of the left side of your mouth) to play the notes. When you move back up the harp, you can move your tongue back over to the left side.

By the way, good for you for learn such a skill!thumbs up

Posted by: WaltP (96.238.97.---)
Date: August 28, 2015 06:41PM

When I tongue block I rest my tongue against the spaces between the holes. For instance to play 3 my tongue sits on the first space it finds ie. between 1 & 2 To play 2 my tongue actually sits in the first hole. To play 1 it just sits on the space next to 1. EDH had a good idea about learning to play out of the left side, however that is the weak side to play out of and holes 1 & 2 are hard enough. I Suggest learning to play from both sides as long as you are starting. It will enable you to make effortless jumps as you get better at it.

Date: August 28, 2015 09:27PM

Deb & Walt,
Thanks for the help. I have tried blocking on the left side, but I'm not getting a clean block with a strong draw (weaker side). I'm ok blocking with the front right side of my tongue. I think one of my problems is I am playing out of the right corner of my mouth using the right side of my tongue to block. As I move toward the 1 & 2 hole the left side of the harp is in my mouth. Maybe I need to move the harp a little more center and use less of the side of my tongue to block.

I am able to play songs blocked 3 hole and up, but not for a long periods of time. I lose my embouchure and then I can't keep a clean single note. My playing is not as good as when I lip purse, but I like the deeper tone and the potential to add more options to my playing. Plus I read something on the Forum that Tin Man said about not really playing if you didn't "Tongue Block" and that kind a got my "dander" up. winking smiley

Posted by: WaltP (96.238.97.---)
Date: August 29, 2015 01:52PM

That was one of Tin Man's "special talents". But stick to it and that feeling of losing your embouchure will lessen. I would suggest trying to use the front top of your tongue and not so much the side. This will make it easier to move your tongue over and play out of the other side, two holes away from where you were, without having to actually move your mouth.

Posted by: JerryVan (66.184.21.---)
Date: August 30, 2015 07:59AM

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp2MjjBUlDE[/video]

Posted by: Marcy (96.4.231.---)
Date: December 03, 2015 03:48PM

You don’t necessarily have to switch where your tongue is to play the lower holes, you just may be blocking fewer or no holes if you go down to the far end of the harmonica. This does effect what you can do with adding tongue slaps and octaves, but you should still be able to get the melody you want without changing your tongue’s position too much. During this tune, Freight Train, the melody during the first break goes down to holes 2 and 3. You can see if this example helps you figure it out. Or sparks any more questions…
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: WaltP (96.238.105.---)
Date: December 03, 2015 09:29PM

Marcy, that's basically what I do when I block out the first hole for 2 and the left side of the first hole for 1. BTW great playing, I enjoyed your video.

Posted by: Marcy (96.4.231.---)
Date: December 04, 2015 03:43PM

Thanks so much for the encouraging words, Walt. Much appreciated!

Date: December 11, 2015 04:13PM

Hi Marcy,
Thank you so much for sharing. I love how smoothly you play up and down the harp. Also, your husband is so patient and attentive in his playing. You guys are great. I play everyday but, I don't practice "tongue blocking" everyday. I play OK. However, I can't seem to get that next layer of sound that I hear in your playing and others. When I play the songs sound "trapped in the tab"...if that makes sense. I thought 'tongue blocking' would help. However, as time moves on I am coming to believe that it is not just about technique and practice it's also about talent. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing a new post from the "Tin Cup Rattlers"!

Posted by: Marcy (23.251.78.---)
Date: December 12, 2015 11:22AM

I feel that way all the time! It must be a common thing for musicians. I think you're on the right track with learning techniques like tongue blocking. I've heard a few really good harmonica players say it's all a matter of trying it for hours and hours to develop muscle memory. I've been working on it for the better part of a year and am still figuring out a lot of it, so definitely don't give up on it. On the bright side though, they say once you've got the muscle memory developed, it's like riding a bike. Here's hoping!

Marcy
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: pcguyiv (108.162.237.---)
Date: September 27, 2016 03:22PM

I've never been very effective at traditional tongue blocking, though I do use the "U" method of tongue blocking. It gives me solid, clean single notes, moreso than lip-pursing, and allows for faster adjustment when I need to chord or notes. It also makes bending MUCH easier for me.

Adieu! (Or is that, "Adoughnt"?)

PCGuyIV

Posted by: JerryVan (162.158.74.---)
Date: October 02, 2016 03:17AM

"Whammer Jammer" Magic Dick on Harmonica
[www.youtube.com]

In his interview below,Dick reveals how started puckering then advanced to tongue blacking early and throughout and is now getting re-accustomed to pursing.

Magic Dick on Tongue Blocking & Puckering (Interview Snippet) - David Barrett's BluesHarmonica.com
[www.youtube.com]

In My book it is like if you learn a Riff up - learn it down.
neither pursing nor tongue blocking are better than the other - other than at the moment one style will fit much better in different cases. John Gindick sorta touched on it with the Jericho Wall video.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.