Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Blocked/broken or inexperienced
Posted by: Brendenhimself (174.251.17.---)
Date: June 02, 2015 08:50PM

I'm a beginner so I'm pretty clueless. I recently bought a Marine band in C. I have been playing around with it for a while before I really started practicing and it sounded fine. I was able to get good solid tones on all the holes both drawing and blowing, however I recently started practicing 2nd position blues scale. After 4 draw and 4 draw bend I can barely get any tone from the 4 blow. Conversely if I can get a solid tone from 4 blow the 4 draw bend becomes impossible.
I assume it's not broken as I can get the tones individually, it's going from one to the next makes it sound awful if I can even get it to make a sound in the first place.
Does any of this make sense? If so is it me or the reed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blocked/broken or inexperienced
Posted by: Turkey_Man (104.139.21.---)
Date: June 03, 2015 09:14PM

I'm not really sure, but it sounds to me like you might have some debris blocking the reed from performing correctly. If that is the case, try tapping it against a hard surface to try and shake it lose. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Hope this helps.

Re: Blocked/broken or inexperienced
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: June 05, 2015 05:39PM

If it doesn't work, take the covers off and look closely. You might rinse the debris away, or you might carefully pick it out with something.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.