Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Harmonica recommendation for someone allergic to metal...
Posted by: matt7195 (69.142.129.---)
Date: March 02, 2015 02:28AM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the harmonica. I've played around with one since I was a kid, but I finally started taking it seriously in the past couple of months. I'm loving it and have even gotten the hang of bending notes.

The problem is that I'm very allergic to nickel, which is present in all stainless steel. Not a lot, but enough. I had the same problem with banjo in college. Just when I started getting good, I got terrible rashes and had to stop playing.

So now, same story with the harmonica. I got a Lee Oskar stainless steel one with a plastic comb. I got a chance to just play for over an hour straight the other day, and now my lips are swollen like I went twelve rounds with a heavy weight champ (a tiny exaggeration, but it does look funny).

Anyway, I'm now on the lookout for a harmonica that isn't made of steel. Wood, plastic, aluminum... titanium maybe? My son actually has a plastic toy harmonica, but it's hopelessly off on some notes and is more for making noise than music. I found a set by Hohner called "Piedmont Blues" that's apparently made of aluminum, but they get terrible reviews and don't seem to even be a step up from a toy.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions!

Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Harmonica recommendation for someone allergic to metal...
Posted by: _Harpo (65.78.169.---)
Date: March 02, 2015 05:35AM

Hi Matt, I've looked around the web some, but right noe I'm having some trouble finding out what the cover plates of the various brands are made of. Seydels do have stainless cover plates. I'm not sure about Hohners or Suzukis. Combs shouldn't be a problem because they are usually wood, plastic or aluminum. If you had a harp with stainless reeds, that shouldn't be a problem either, since you never touch them unless you've opened the harp to clean it or change the plates. Here's an idea that might possibly work because it is so crazy. What if you got some clear nail polish and painted the stainless steel surfaces. Then your lips would never come into direct contact with the steel and it wouldn't noticeably change the appearance of your harps--maybe a little extra shine. My dad used to use it as a glue because it held up so well.
Ken

Date: March 02, 2015 07:55AM

Hey, I found a harp that could solve your problem. Its called the Turbo. It comes in 2 models--the Turbo 20 and the Turbo BX. It has a wild and cool looking ergonomic design. It uses the Special 20 reedplates and the cover is plastic. I found it on an amazing site that seems to have a review of every harmonica ever made. It got a fairly high rating. No idea of price, however...wait a minute...okay, $55.95 on Amazon for the Turbo 20. The one there has a clear plastic cover so you can see the guts--wierd. The one on [www.ianchadwick.com] is black and much better looking. They are supposed to be pretty good for bending. Anyway, seems there is a plastic harp that's actually pretty decent.
Ken
ps: I hope I'm not violating protocol by putting up a link to another harp siteconfused smiley

Date: March 02, 2015 07:55AM

Hey, I found a harp that could solve your problem. Its called the Turbo. It comes in 2 models--the Turbo 20 and the Turbo BX. It has a wild and cool looking ergonomic design. It uses the Special 20 reedplates and the cover is plastic. I found it on an amazing site that seems to have a review of every harmonica ever made. It got a fairly high rating. No idea of price, however...wait a minute...okay, $55.95 on Amazon for the Turbo 20. The one there has a clear plastic cover so you can see the guts--wierd. The one on [www.ianchadwick.com] is black and much better looking. They are supposed to be pretty good for bending. Anyway, seems there is a plastic harp that's actually pretty decent.
Ken
ps: I hope I'm not violating protocol by putting up a link to another harp siteconfused smiley

Posted by: railjumper (172.7.230.---)
Date: March 04, 2015 08:01PM

You can just buy the turbo covers for $8.95. They fit most Hohners plus others. Go to Turbolids under 'Parts and Accessories.

Posted by: bublnsqueak (109.153.185.---)
Date: March 14, 2015 07:32AM

Suzuki Pure Harp

Posted by: Nova_Yodel (71.182.157.---)
Date: March 14, 2015 11:33PM

Turbo harps seem to be pretty legit, and i can say from personal expirance that the peidmont blues harps are not even worth considering.

Posted by: pcguyiv (108.162.238.---)
Date: October 17, 2016 03:49PM

The turbo lids are definitely a consideration for you. Suzuki makes a harmonica out of rosewood, but it's stupid expensive. I think $180US is about the cheapes I've seen it.

Also, what about colored metal covers (painted or anodized)? Is it just the fact it's steel, or does the finish have any bearing on it?

I knew one person who had a nickel allergy, and they ended up getting some kind of clear varnish/polyurethane to put on his harps so he could play the harps he had.

Adieu! (Or is that, "Adoughnt"?)

PCGuyIV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.