Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Question
Posted by: Turkey_Man (98.24.38.---)
Date: February 15, 2015 07:31PM

If you had a diatonic harmonica for every key, can you stack them in such a way that they cover the piano key board? One more question..what's the difference between playing in 2nd position (cross harp) and playing a song in the key of the music on the lower end of the harmonica? I guess I should of titled this post "questions".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2015 08:05AM

First question: Yes. ... Well, you could cover one octave of the keyboard, or even more, if you have high or low key harps (such as low F or high G.

Second question:
Suppose you want to play a song that's in the key of C. If you play it on a C harp, You're playing in first position. Most of the notes will be available to you by simply blowing or drawing without having to use bends.

If you want to play that C song in second position, you'll need to play it on a G harp. You'll be playing the same notes, but through different holes. For some of the notes, you'll need to do some bending. That's what allows for that blues-like expressiveness.

Posted by: Turkey_Man (71.75.20.---)
Date: February 16, 2015 04:26PM

Ok, I'm looking at a tab called "Lonesome Whistle". It has a hi and a low. The high is in C first position. Is the low just C an octave down or is it cross harp in F? By the way, nice tab and thanks for moderating.

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2015 04:42PM

Thank you. I don't moderate, though. I just help out a little in some very minor ways.

Those are both in C; just different octaves.

Posted by: Turkey_Man (98.24.38.---)
Date: February 17, 2015 12:48AM

I can play in second position, but I'm trying to learn how to look at a piece of music and say, "this would work in 2nd or 3rd position" and here's how I would do it. And, sorry about thanking you for moderating. The word "moderator" by your name threw me off. smiling smiley Seriously, thanks...you are always very helpful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.