Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Have Harp-- Will Travel. Have Harp? (Harps on planes)
Posted by: zarling (96.42.215.---)
Date: February 06, 2015 10:34PM

Does anyone have experience taking their harps on airplanes? I'll be travelling for work next month, and likely will have just a carry-on bag. I'd like to take one or two harps with me for downtime, and would prefer not to donate them to the TSA. I can't think of a logical reason they wouldn't be allowed on a plane, but in dealing with a government agency I'd prefer not to rely on anything so flimsy as logic.... Probably worrying about nothing, so someone just tell me "I do it all the time-- it's no big deal" and we'll be done with it.

(On a side note, I'm not getting much sympathy here in Minnesota for having to go to Florida in March... odd...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Have Harp-- Will Travel. Have Harp? (Harps on planes)
Posted by: WaltP (96.238.97.---)
Date: February 07, 2015 03:16AM

I do it all the time, don't worry about it. I often carry a bunch of them and they almost always figure them out and ask if they are harmonicas. Just leave the switch blade harmonica home so you don't ruin it for the rest of us LOL

Posted by: Turkey_Man (98.24.38.---)
Date: February 07, 2015 10:39PM

I always take them out and put them in the tote, because the TSA always sends my briefcase through twice if I leave them in it. Must look strange on an x- ray machine.

Posted by: zarling (71.13.118.---)
Date: February 09, 2015 03:42PM

Thanks for your responses-- I feel better about it.

Walt-- switchblade harp?? Now I understand what people are talking about when they post saying their lips are getting cut. And here I thought they were just more dedicated to practice than I am...

Turkey Man-- I've researched a little further since my initial post, and it seems that a harp and an ammunition clip look similar on the x-ray.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.