Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
beginner needs some help
Posted by: markdwyer147 (93.96.91.---)
Date: February 04, 2015 02:53PM

I have just bought a c harmonica ( hohner international)
and i need some help to play it...
what is the easiest tune to learn first please.......

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: beginner needs some help
Posted by: WaltP (96.238.97.---)
Date: February 04, 2015 05:04PM

Blowing In The Wind is the goto first song for every beginning harp player, just kidding! Nevertheless a good place to start. Many start with nursery rhymes Mary Had A Little Lamb, etc. The question is, what do you want to play?

Posted by: markdwyer147 (85.255.232.---)
Date: February 04, 2015 07:07PM

I'm just looking to be able to play the easiest tune so that I can build confidence and move forward and build up to bigger tunes

Posted by: zarling (71.13.118.---)
Date: February 04, 2015 09:16PM

For me, "Amazing Grace" and "You Are My Sunshine" (djlactose versions) were good simple beginner songs. I'm not sure if these are necessarily the easiest, but they seemed to work well for me. I think that the biggest thing apart from picking relatively simple songs is to pick songs that you like and for which you are very familiar with the melody. Familiarity makes it easier to know if you are playing it right, and for me, it's easier to stay motivated learning a song I enjoy--- if I'm playing a song strictly for the practice it provides, it tends to feel like a chore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 09:23PM by zarling.

Posted by: meanon (85.0.89.---)
Date: February 05, 2015 08:34AM

Chose a song you know well and where the tabs (a) have no bends and (b) require you move between adjacent holes only.
Here is an example of the latter (with a couple of exceptions) . . .

[www.harptabs.com]

We were singing this one in school a decade before Cat Stevens got hold of it. smiling smiley

Posted by: edmackey (75.181.28.---)
Date: February 19, 2015 02:23PM

Also a beginner (5 weeks)...and I've found that youtube is a great resource. Just enter "harmonica for beginners" and see tons of help. Also got harmonica for dummies...I'm 72 and hope its not too late. I'm having fun and see tiny bits of progress each day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.