Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Help! my harp holes don't sound right :/
Posted by: QK_Jerry (43.252.34.---)
Date: November 30, 2014 05:00PM

Hi!
I have silver star hohner key C harmonica.
It is a 10-hole diatonic harmonica.
I am a beginner who has just started learning playing the harp myself.
I want you to listen and tell if my hole 1,2,3,8,9 are broken or is it just me.
Please please help me out!
Here is the link of the recoeding of how it sounds.

[docs.google.com]
P.s- ithas just been a week i started playing. Please forgive me for how bad i seem to play.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help! my harp holes don't sound right :/
Posted by: WaltP (96.238.96.---)
Date: November 30, 2014 11:32PM

Inexpensive diatonic harps are notoriously hard to play and certainly can have issues with one hole or another. I'm guessing that it's a Chinese made harp, which, unfortunately doesn't help. Add the fact that you're an absolute beginner. But the good news is that things will get better as you practice, and as the harp gets broken in and gets to know you better. Perhaps next time a special 20 or something equivalent. I'm sure people will chime in with lots of good advice.
Walt

Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: December 01, 2014 08:08AM

In your recording you can hear the air along with the note you are playing so either you don't have your lips on your harmonica properly or you have a leaky harmonica, I am guessing that the second is most if not all of the problem, as Walt stated the inexpensive harmonicas are hard to play, sometimes you get lucky and get one that plays decent but most times you end up getting just what you have. There are a few choices you seem to have, 1) keep playing the harp the way it is and never get good at it and you will probably give up on it (so I wouldn't suggest this), or 2) try taking it apart and sealing the covers and adjusting the gaps on the reeds (being a beginner you will probably end up ruining the harp so I wouldn't suggest this either), 3) I would look into buying another harp, I would go with a Hohner SP20 or a Suzuki Bluesmaster but there are others that are in the same price range that good also, read the reviews and make a decision from there. Although these cost more than your current harp you will find that they are much easier to play and thus being more fun to learn with and you will find you will be more likely to still be playing years from now.

Posted by: QK_Jerry (43.252.33.---)
Date: December 02, 2014 06:28AM

Hi!
Thank you for your insightful answer. The fact is I searched a lot and found that Hohner 10-hole diatonic harp is the best for beginners. This is a german made harp. Maybe a need to buy a new one now becuase i need to continue playing.

Posted by: up_it_goes (108.53.189.---)
Date: December 20, 2014 12:41AM

The other day I found my dads old professional hohner blues harp in g. (it is actually named Hohner Blues Harp) any how i washed it out and while playing it I noticed that the 3 draw doesn't sound right. Any suggestions?

Posted by: railjumper (172.7.230.---)
Date: February 27, 2015 04:54PM

The Silver Star is Chinese made. But some of the Chinese harps aren't too bad, and some are crap. I have an old Pocket Pal, one of my first harps, that I think is Chinese made. It's been through hell and still plays ok.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.