Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Simbols
Posted by: Danizo4x (174.135.110.---)
Date: November 10, 2014 10:50PM

Hi I am new with the harmonica can somebody tell me what are the symbols: -,> or" or the () means?. Thanks you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Simbols
Posted by: beads (107.136.17.---)
Date: November 11, 2014 01:27AM

I am not sure that there is a standard tab format. In fact I have used different formats at different times. Anyway, I would usually consider the - to mean draw (inhale). The " usually means a two half step (full step) bend. On a C harp if you bend the draw 4 (a D note) down half a step to a C# then it would be indicted by -4'. The draw 3 can be bent half a step to Bb but it can also be bent a whole step down to A. The whole step draw bend would be -3". The half step draw bend would be -3'. Draw 3 and draw 2 are the only two places where you normally have a choice between half step and full step bends. There are also two bends in blow 10 but I never use them. Here is a chart that may help explain:
[www.leeoskar.com]
The () may mean to play the notes inside at the same time. So +(456) would mean blow into holes 4, 5, and 6 at the same time. I am not sure about >. It might be indicating pushing the slide on a chromatic.

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2014 08:43AM

Beads is right all the way. I would add that -3 can be bent one and a half steps. (-3"' or -3''') "Push the slide" may be indicated by > or by *.

Posted by: zarling (96.42.215.---)
Date: November 11, 2014 05:44PM

I think beads and gene nailed it. Check out "tab guide" under resources on the left hand side of the page. In section 3 it lays out what they're saying pretty well (one symbol and its explanation on each line; easier for us visual learners). That's my go-to spot for explanation when my memory (repeatedly) fails.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.