Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Stuck
Posted by: Turkey_Man (98.24.38.---)
Date: September 28, 2014 03:06PM

I tabbed a song by ear. It sounds pretty good, but I'm not sure about a note or a phrase. I can't find sheet music to cross check. Do I post it or let it lay in my documents?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stuck
Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: September 30, 2014 08:25AM

I have done several tabs by ear and when I was not sure of some notes I would take a day or two away from the song then go back to listening to it, especially other parts of the song to see if that pattern was in another part of the song and maybe I missed it the first several times and see what I put down there, and if that didn't help I would change the notes in question with lower and higher notes to see if any of those sounded better, sometimes I would find my original note sounded the closest and sometimes it may been as little as bending a note to make it sound better.

As far as when to post the tab, I would say without sheet music to go by, when it sounds good to your ear then go ahead and post it.

The other thing you could do if you wanted to is post a link to the song and list in your post the part of the song that you are having questions about and list what you have it tabbed as and see if anyone else has any thoughts to if it is correct or not.

Posted by: Turkey_Man (71.75.20.---)
Date: October 06, 2014 01:09PM

Yukon,
Thanks for the advice. Especially the part about putting it down for a day or two. The other thing that I found through the process is that after you listen to a piece of music over and over you stop listening to it and only remember the song "by ear" as you figure it on your harmonica. You have to keep refering back to the music. Again Thanks.

Posted by: 03lindsi (138.37.230.---)
Date: October 23, 2014 12:57PM

Otherwise just google the sheet music, there are number of websites with sheet music which you can potentially use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.