Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Best Priced Durable Quality Beginner Harmonicas
Posted by: -Driven- (54.196.235.---)
Date: March 19, 2014 04:42PM

Hi, I am new to the world of harmonicas. But I have done hours of research on trying to find the best one for me to start off on. I have read so many reviews on so many different brands and am still unsure of which one I should get. My thinking is that I don't want to get a cheap crappy one that is hard to play and discourage me or ends up losing tune really fast. I also don't want one that I can accidentally end up blowing reeds out on before I even get a chance to learn how to play. So I want one that is durable - that is very important to me. And it also needs to be under $50. I really wish I could spend less than $30 but after my research I have found that is probably a bad idea. What do you all think? I am leaning towards a suzuki bluesmaster because I read that it is very durable and easy for beginners. But someone also said that you it doesn't have replaceable reeds? Is this true? I just really want something that is going to last me a long time, be easy to learn on, easy to blow into without a lot of force, and I can easily fix if it ends up going out of tune or needs a new reed. So please give me your experienced thoughts and opinions on this. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Priced Durable Quality Beginner Harmonicas
Posted by: yukon (50.16.124.---)
Date: March 22, 2014 09:50AM

It is a personal preference but I would go for the Bluesmaster to start, I have had 2 of them (C and G) for 5 years now and they are still playing good. There are no bluesmaster replacement reeds that I am aware of, but the replacement reeds for the promaster are the same. I have also heard that the delta frost replacement reeds will fit it also. Regardless whether you go with a bluesmaster or something else, you are correct that you don't want to go with anything cheap as many of those are harder to play.

Posted by: TigerhawkT3 (70.231.138.---)
Date: March 28, 2014 09:00PM

It sounds like you're looking for a Hohner Special 20. They're high-quality, extremely popular harps for about $40. It should be years before a reed breaks or goes out of tune, but if it does, you can just get a replacement reedplate.

Posted by: pastorbk (24.151.186.---)
Date: April 01, 2014 06:15PM

I agree with the Special 20 recommendation. I have a Lee Oskar, a Blues Band, a Golden Melody, a Bluesmaster, and several Special 20s. In my opinion, they are the best -- they play well right out of the box, they're easy on the lips, they sound good, and they seem well-made. The going online price is $35-38.00, but I've gotten them on eBay for $29-30.00 with free shipping. Hope this helps, Barry

Posted by: Pulp (204.63.217.---)
Date: April 06, 2014 01:20AM

Golden Melody would also be a good choice. I also like Big River.

Posted by: John_Grizzly (37.2.230.---)
Date: April 17, 2014 05:57AM

I have bought a lot of cheap harmonicas even some chinese made Hohners.
Of course they work fine as starters but I soon realised that better instruments are easier to play so I finally made som purchases much more expensive than my skills deserve. But I also thought that good harps will last longer...time will tell.
I bought two Seydel Session Steel in the keys C and A because I hope that the steel reeds will last. The harps feel more airtight and finally i managed the 2-hole draw with ease and bending became better sounding. And the orange colour is lovely.
I also bought a slightly cheaper Lee Oskar in the key of A minor, harmonic tuning to play some traditional swedish folkmusic.

I guess recommending the cheapest harps to beginners might cause lost of interest in playing this fantastic little instrument.

Posted by: bloinc (86.174.109.---)
Date: April 29, 2014 07:48PM

Suzuki, in my opinion, make good harmonicas. When I started to learn the richter diatonic harp just under a year ago it was recommended that I buy a Promaster, key c. When I saw the price I had second thoughts but decided to give it a go - no regrets I can now play a few simple tunes by ear and tab.

I find that the Promaster's reeds are responsive to the lightest of breath patterns on all holes from 1-10 for low volume practising.
All of the posters to this thread, so far, have warned against 'cheap and cheerful' and have put forward valid preferences based on their own playing experiences, good advice I feel.

I've heard a lot of good reports about the Special 20 and believe that it has even been referred to as the 'The Porche of Harps'.

Out of curiosity I tried a couple of cheaply made harps, trashed them and have gone back to my Promasters - yes I've now got another one in G. Best of luck Driven- this harmonica learning can be a minefield for us learners!.

Posted by: bloinc (86.174.110.---)
Date: September 02, 2014 07:51PM

Since making my last post and reply to -Driven, the combs of two of my Promasters have developed a form of corrosion on the mating surfaces between reed plates and combs. Did not like the look of it and have fitted some custom made composite combs - very well pleased with them and they were very easy to fit.
I now know from personal experiences that aluminium and wooden combs are not for me - I still love my Promasters.
I think that I will have to change my tag to Dragons Breath!

Posted by: DadofTen (56.0.84.---)
Date: September 29, 2014 02:52PM

I like my suzuki harps the best; the Pure harp and fire breath, the rose wood, are my favorites, I like the promasters they play well and have a solid feel. The problem with suzuki is there are no local vendors in my area. I can only get hohner in OKC. Spec 20 are everyones favorite but I dislike the plastic smell. I am too sensative in the olfactory. For about the same money I find the Blues harp MS to be a good choice, I like wood. I alway sand my combs with 2000-3000 grit sand paper to polish it smoothe.
Ps Amazon has suzuki overdrives(not in C) for $20. This is one of the easiest harps I own to play. But I cannot use the holes to bend, I just use it like a normal harmonica and it plays great. I got a B harp and it is good to play by myself.

Posted by: aeroads (24.60.89.---)
Date: October 13, 2014 07:51PM

Lots of great harps. Amazon.com has Suzuki ProMasters in the low $50 range for key of c's and G's. Awful hard to beat that ProMaster.

Posted by: dantt9 (68.163.222.---)
Date: October 28, 2014 02:34AM

I'd recommend the Hohner special 20 in C. I've had mine for about a year and half and its been great. Solid little harp.

Posted by: _Harpo (65.78.169.---)
Date: March 01, 2015 08:18AM

I see this is an old thread, but here's my 2 cents anyway. Yes, I love the Promasters, but for a beginner, I'd highly recommend a C ora D Lee Oskar. I've found the D's pretty easy to play being right in the mid-range. I think they're currently about $35. When I started playing harps, a Hohner Blues Harp went for $5. I can't believe I'm that old!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.