Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Can't phrase this question in 1 line, but really want input. Please respond
Posted by: ,,, (54.221.38.---)
Date: February 26, 2014 11:49PM

The question is this: How do you work out how to get to the hole you want to get to when you're playing? Is it by where your muscle memory knows that hole to be at all times, or is it where your muscle memory knows that hole to be, relative to where you are now?

Example: you are on hole 4 and want to go to hole 6. Does your brain/muscle memory/whatever tell you: "6 is always here," or does it tell you: "6 is two holes up, and I need to move this much to go two holes over"?

Or is it a mix of both-- going with relative for 1-3 holes away, but the constant approach when needing to jump 5 or more?

Also (and more importantly): do you think either approach is more preferable than the other?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can't phrase this question in 1 line, but really want input. Please respond
Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (54.81.111.---)
Date: February 27, 2014 04:12PM

For me (personally), it seems to be a mix of both depending on which instrument I'm playing. On a diatonic for instance, muscle memory dictates how far I move the harp either way. I know where I am on the harp without looking, know where I need to be for the next note, and move there without really thinking about it. I just seem to know how far to move the harp.

Chromatics, on the other hand, are a little different (for me). Muscle memory plays a big part in knowing how far the distance is between each hole (side by side distance), but when needing to jump 5, or 7, or in some instances more than 10 holes, it requires more brain work on my part. Whether or not to use the button adds another brain action. Is the button to be pressed? Released? Held? How's my breath capacity/need doing in relation to what's coming? Is there an alternate way I can hit the same note? Do I use draw 4 with the button in? Or choose instead to use blow 4 or blow 5? Do I use draw 6? Or choose blow 6 with the button in, instead?

I've struggled with putting this into words here, and am not sure I've helped answer your question. But, in short, for me, on a diatonic I rely on muscle memory. On a chromatic, I use both muscle memory and brain action.

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2014 07:57PM

I don't really know, but I think it starts out as knowing from where you are now, and then you start learning where the holes are at all times...especially in the low to middle range where you play the most. But all that aside, don't worry about it. It will come to you without trying.

Posted by: ,,, (54.81.153.---)
Date: February 27, 2014 08:27PM

Thanks Deb, that answered most of the question.
Gene-- thanks, but I wasn't really asking how to do it, I was asking more what you personally do and consider best, just wanting to see if there's a vox populi on the best method.

The point of me asking is I've always done it relatively, up to 4 holes. Anything more than that (not that it happens often) and I'd have to go with where I think the hole is at all times.

But anyway, of course everyone goes relative for one hole away, but more than that I was wondering what others do, and what they consider optimal. For me, again I usually go relative, but there's always a chance when I'm going more than one hole away that I'll be off, greater distance=bigger risk. I was playing a few days ago and about to make a risky 4-hole leap, and in a flash I realized "wait, I know exactly where that hole is right now, I don't have to aim for what I think 'four away' feels like."

So it made me wonder first of all, what method other people generally use, and second of all, what they consider the best place to abandon relativity. 4 holes? 3? 2? At what point is relative no longer the best way, if there's such a place?

My little a-ha moment just made me realize that I could be feeling my away around the harp in a completely different way than I'm used to, and maybe my own way (which I never questioned until now) isn't even ideal.

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2014 03:01AM

Instead of "leaping" a great distance, try sliding to it. That will sound alright, and after a while, you'll know by feel how far to leap.

Posted by: ,,, (75.101.197.---)
Date: February 28, 2014 04:48AM

ok, thank you, but I'm really still just looking for what people consider to be the distance where relative position is no longer equal to or better than constant position (and also to see if I get all different answers, or if most people do things about the same). But that is good advice that newbies may want to take note of. And actually, it may work to help improve my muscle memory too as an exercise.

edit: Actually, I just tried that and it didn't go well. I get confused if I hear myself playing other notes. But again, that was all besides the point anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2014 05:00AM by ,,,.

Posted by: dezzy (54.255.32.---)
Date: February 28, 2014 08:39AM

Good Heavens man!! I learn the song slowly and after some practice I just play with no thoughts about do I slide 3 holes or more. Once I know the song I just play it automatically. Most of us do I would say. I don't know if muscle memory is a fact and the brain has handed over the job to the muscles. But it seems to work same as many things we do without thinking. Just play , why complicate with such thoughts that don't matter.

Posted by: yukon (23.22.109.---)
Date: March 04, 2014 05:31PM

Never gave it much thought before but I think you use both together, as you play I feel that your brain knows both how far to go between the holes you are playing and at the same time it knows where the hole is at on the harp. The more you play the more it becomes second nature. No matter what though playing the harp is enjoyable and a great stress reliever.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.