Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Need Help With Octaves.
Posted by: wmartin (71.85.207.---)
Date: September 30, 2013 11:23AM

I have a cleavage tongue, or a definite line going down the center of my tongue. I can still tongue block on either side, if I pay attention. I can always U block, like Norton Buffalo did.

I am struggling with the Octaves. I need to find a way to make sure that I can sound the 2 holes to either side and block the holes in the middle.

I have tried moving the Harmonica deeper etc. I purchased a Hohner CX12 where I can take the cover plate off and view what my tongue is doing.

I can see that the cleavage of the tongue is still a problem. Is there any work around or practice tips that someone can help me.

I really appreciate your website.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Help With Octaves.
Posted by: WaltP (96.238.108.---)
Date: September 30, 2013 05:53PM

Try experimenting with tongue blocking using more of the top of your tongue instead of the tip. I find that if I tongue switch I'll move two holes down. If instead of moving my tongue I just move the harp a bit to the right I'll be 3 holes down. If I don't move quite so far I'll end up play the original and the third hole down note. Which will make an octave on a C chromatic for the C note. However the chrom usually needs a four note spread and that is just a lot of practice and again maybe more of the top flat surface of the tongue. Sorry I didn't get back to your PM but I was thinking about how to answer your question.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.