Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
When in hell do i learn to bend?
Posted by: docsoc11 (71.169.134.---)
Date: April 25, 2013 02:37AM

I used to play alittle bit a couple years back, and maybe 2 or 3 months ago i picked up the harp again. i can play simple tunes and i can make some customized (kinda) noises using shaking and tounge techniques and souch, but i can not bend. Lil help pljease? I u-block and SOMETIMES tounge block or pucker but mostly ublocking. any help would be great thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When in hell do i learn to bend?
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: April 25, 2013 09:26AM

Try lip pursing and check out this thread.

Posted by: Mike63 (122.107.111.---)
Date: April 26, 2013 01:24PM

Forget about ublocking. Go to YouTube and don't leave untill your'e satisfied that you've learned something. Get Jon Gindick's book n CD, blues harmonica for the musically hopeless($20) and keep at it. You won't regret it. But most of all, take joy from every little step you take on the ride. Good luck and practise everyday because you want to.
Mike

Posted by: LouPLou (77.96.108.---)
Date: May 01, 2013 09:05PM

The best way I can describe it is that bending is the difference between drinking a coke through a straw to drinking a thick shake - you have to work the 'suck' (draw) a lot more to make it bend. So, start off drinking a coke and then change to the thickshake on the same in breath. AND ... go with Overblow ... just keep at it!

Posted by: docsoc11 (71.169.143.---)
Date: July 07, 2013 02:47AM

Thank you all for your help - I have figured it out and every one of you helped me. Now i cant stop bending constantly smiling smiley

Posted by: twitch77 (75.163.6.---)
Date: August 14, 2013 03:20PM

I really need to go take my harp(s) and drive up into the mountains for a day. lol living in an appartment is really cramping my stlye! winking smiley
lol once in a very great while I'll start whailing away (poor neighbors!)...but for the most part I feel like I gotta practice real quiet so I don't drive anyone around me insane!!

Any tips for tongue blockers?
Think it's time I try and teach myself how to pucker? Or should I just learn to bend while tongue blocking? (I've heard it's possible...just much more difficult innittialy).

Posted by: Fenixtar (83.60.11.---)
Date: August 17, 2014 09:57PM

Someone Recommended me whistling backward!

Bye!

Posted by: zarling (96.42.215.---)
Date: November 03, 2014 06:06PM

Where the heck did that come from??!?!? I was just rereading forum posts on learning to bend, and all of the sudden it clicked... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Thanks to everyone who's posted tips on bending on this and other feeds!

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: November 04, 2014 01:00AM

Glad for ya!! smiling smiley

Posted by: Turkey_Man (98.24.38.---)
Date: December 03, 2014 03:45AM

I'm not a musician but, I found playing the bend diatonic notes on a C chromatic and trying to match them to a C diatonic helps. I know that doesn't help your technique question, but if you want to accelerate your learning curve I think it helps. The pitfall is that you may ditch the diatonic and only play chromatic. Still trying to figure out why I think that is sad, but for some reason I think it is.

Posted by: dezzy (124.169.39.---)
Date: December 03, 2014 06:29AM

docsoc11 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you all for your
> help - I have figured it out and every one of you
> helped me. Now i cant stop bending constantly smiling smiley

Docsoc, I am amazed that you are bending so quickly soon after learning what bending is. Most of us struggle for months or longer. Are you bending to the correct notes ? Hole 3 bends to 3 notes Bb A Ab on a C key harmonica.

Posted by: _Harpo (65.78.169.---)
Date: February 28, 2015 09:03AM

If you like bending, try out a valved harp. Pretty much all of the notes are bendable, including both the blows and draws. The Hohner XB-40 was the 1st one I tried, but now I'm partial to the Suzuki Promaster valved harps. They are a lot cheaper than XB-40s (about $50-$65 on Amazon) and are regular sized, too.
The soda and milkshake analogy is okay if you like sugar. To me its more like kissing and saying wow at the same time. Bending the blow notes is similar. It can help to tilt the harp a little bit to get the hang of it. If you're in an appartment & too close to your neighbors, definitely try to get out somewhere. Keep practicing and maybe they'll even let you back in (lol).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.